Anyone still collect Hasbro 3 3/4 inch?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I now only collect the 3 3/4" figures that I really must have or are a totally new sculpt. I'm so tired of the constant re-hashes and re-carded figures of the past few years. It isn't even fun to go on toy hunts anymore. "I have a bad feeling" that this line will die out sooner before later. Without a new film to boost kids sales with the line, I doubt collectors will be able to support its continuation (which I do find sad, because I really do love my 3 3/4" figures!) Too bad the constant elusive exclusives are never to be found here in my part of the world.
BUT, I thank god everyday Hasbro turned the 12" line over to Sideshow. Dollar for dollar my Sideshow collection is prized a hell of a lot more than those tiny plastic figures.

Sith Lord 0498 said:
Over the past year and a half, I've been systematically selling off my Hasbro collection in bits and pieces. Quite a few MR and GG pieces were included in that purge as well as more novelty-type items (PEZ dispenser collection, etc.). I have very few Hasbro pieces left...a couple figures, some Titanium die-casts...whatever's in my collection gallery thread.

I lost interest in the whole "bug hunt" for many reasons. Too many rehashes. Too many nights going to my 24 hr. WM at one in the morning to scope out cases before scalpers hit.

Then, I discovered 1/6 scale figures in general through the Sideshow SW line, and I'm focusing on these collectibles now. They look nicer, they're more fun to have, and not as many people collect them which makes them a conversation piece for me.

Are you selling on ebay or did you get lucky and find someone who wanted them? And did you get less than you paid altogether? I'm just curious as to what kind of return I'd get on selling a lot of this stuff.

I started collecting again when the line was rebooted in '95, but found it hard to keep up and went off them just after Episode II (and when Sideshow picked up the 12" license). Now I'm annoyed that they're doing better 3 3/4 inch figures than ever, so I'm going back trying to pick up the main ones.

Coheteboy said:
Are you selling on ebay or did you get lucky and find someone who wanted them? And did you get less than you paid altogether? I'm just curious as to what kind of return I'd get on selling a lot of this stuff.

I used eBay twice through a friend's established account when I sold my FAO Schwarz exclusive Imperial Shuttle and my old Icons Darth Vader lightsaber replica. Beyond that, I sold through the Pennsylvania SW Collecting Society and Rebelscum.

The majority of items (I'm an opener BTW) went for less than retail (roughly half of retail). You have a better chance of getting retail or above for higher-end items that are no longer readily available.

So if you have a lot of SSC exclusives, long sold-out Unleashed figures, and sold-out replicas, you stand to make back close to retail or above...if you're willing to sell individually (selling in lots doesn't really work).

But if you have a crate full of POTF2, Saga, and ROTS figures...expect much less of a return.

I actually sold most of mine to Brians Toys. They gave me a very fair price and it was nice to get rid of it all at once.

Coheteboy said:
I still collect these but I'm not excited about them anymore. It's just another new figure to add. I think Hasbro really killed the fun out of this line for me and everyone else.

Remember when it was fun to be a "completist"? Hasbro made that impossible to do that and to save any money because of all the rehashes and repaints and rereleases. I'm talking getting a ton of old figures just to get ONE new one!

I used to get two of everything; one carded one to open. Now it's just to open and only select NEW figures.

I plan on selling my carded collection now.

Question to those who sold off chunks of your collection: what means did you do to sell them off? Was it ebay? Or a private collector? Did you recoop your costs?

Jango56031 said:
I actually sold most of mine to Brians Toys. They gave me a very fair price and it was nice to get rid of it all at once.

Thanks for the idea. I think getting rid of them all at once is certainly what I would prefer to do. Get some quick cash and free up some space all at once.

I started collecting the line when it was rebooted in 95, but ever since discovering Sideshow and Gentle Giant, I'm now selling off every figure I have in order to support my SS/GG habit.

Boba Fett said:
I started collecting the line when it was rebooted in 95, but ever since discovering Sideshow and Gentle Giant, I'm now selling off every figure I have in order to support my SS/GG habit.

I have to admit I am very surprised that there is still any market left to collectors for these after what we see from Sideshow, Gentle Giant and other compaines. I always figured they would still sell to some degree to kids who want to play with them, but I figured the "collectible" aspect would die down on them. I suppose it has to a large degree, but there still is some market for them.

Nothing wrong with teh figure, its the package that's messed up. :lol :monkey5

I've got a ton of ROTS figures that I imagine one day my son will get his hands on to play with. I'm collecting teh McQuarries for myself though.:D

Darth Rage said:
Nothing wrong with teh figure, its the package that's messed up. :lol :monkey5

I've got a ton of ROTS figures that I imagine one day my son will get his hands on to play with. I'm collecting teh McQuarries for myself though.:D

but i thought i was buying grevious! :) thought that it was neat having the wrong label inside of it. last one i'll buy for a long time.

basically with these you are buying a new package for a figure that's been released in 10 other packages, except for the "comic" ones and the mcquarries.

The only ones I will be getting are the McQuarrie ones... it just got to be too much with the 75 different Vaders and Lukes... I just lost interest in them.

I kind of dip in and out of Hasbro collecting, I bought loads of Episode One figures when the movie first came out. Skipped the Episode Two figures entirely, except for a single Jango figure that I had on my desk at work. Got semi back into it when Episode Three came out but only bought a handful of the figures then.

Finally got back into collecting them again this year, mainly the McQuarrie figures (which I think have reignited alot of interest in this line with collectors in general) and have seen a couple of Saga Legends I might be interested in getting if I manage to find them in stores when they're released.

I have been buying the McQuarie ones and the Vintage style ones.

For the most part I'm out of the 3 3/4 inch figure collecting.

I have a complete loose set of the Kenner vintage figures that I would never part with, but I have sold off the vast majority of my modern 3 3/4 Hasbro figures. The only modern figures I have kept are the modern vintage figures, the McQuarrie figures a handful of other random releases.

It's a good feeling not to have so much stuff around, and I think that was one of the big problems wih the Hasbro stuff for me - just too much. I can focus my collection more easily and there aren't as many "toys" laying around.

Back