Anyone have a silverfish problem in their home?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I said I hadn't seen any spiders but last night at about 2 am I saw the biggest house spider I've seen in years. I thought it was a ball of fluff off of the cat rolling along the floor.
I hate killing spiders and usually let them out of the window but being shattered and seeing the size of it there was no way I was chasing and catching it. :lol
Squashed it. :monkey2

I live in southern NJ, and I have never even heard of silverfish until now.
Creepy lookin' little bastards.

So, another fun little run in with these gross little bastards.....
I was riding on my motorcycle today and one was in my helmet! It fell behind the visor from my forehead to my cheek........
:gah::yuck

How the F do you get rid of these things inside a helmet?! :dunno

I was riding on my motorcycle today and one was in my helmet! It fell behind the visor from my forehead to my cheek........

Was the bike in a garage? Most likely, you have a box here or there and it was just exploring.

They freak me out too, even though I know they're completely harmless. They just look weird, and the way they move is unnatural.

Going back to Earwigs...they're totally harmless too, and only sting as a last resort. Every horror story you've heard about them comes from people thinking the giant pincers on their butt are strictly for attacking people and whatnot. In reality they're rather docile and would rather hang out in some mulch and be left alone.

Maybe I should start a general household pest control information thread, haha.

Hi all. I found this forum by searching for silverfish info... :horror

I moved into a new place last month and have seen them everywhere. I have read that they're usually found in attics, bathrooms, laundry rooms, etc., but I see them everywhere (though rarely in the bathroom...). Are they in the walls or something??

I've had an exterminator come out twice, and I've sprayed Ortho Max inside, and I try to keep the place somewhat cool.

What else can I do?? And can I expect them to retreat in the winter, or will I be dealing with this forever?

Background info: I rent in a high-rise.

Was the bike in a garage? Most likely, you have a box here or there and it was just exploring.

They freak me out too, even though I know they're completely harmless. They just look weird, and the way they move is unnatural.

Going back to Earwigs...they're totally harmless too, and only sting as a last resort. Every horror story you've heard about them comes from people thinking the giant pincers on their butt are strictly for attacking people and whatnot. In reality they're rather docile and would rather hang out in some mulch and be left alone.

Maybe I should start a general household pest control information thread, haha.

Earwigs don't sting, they pinch with those butt pinchers and it hurts worse than a sting. I went to get my mail out of the mailbox and one was in there I didn't see and he got me by the pinky. He pinched so hard that it cut a hunk of skin out, just like using scissors! Hate 'em!

Hi all. I found this forum by searching for silverfish info... :horror

Welcome Lamb. I haven't been on this forum all that long but I'd bet this'd be the first instance of anyone venturing in here via that route.

I have seen some silverfish here and there and I do not like them. About a week or so ago I had a lizard on our bed. Seriously, I was like...wtf. It was just sleeping at the foot of the bed on the soft red blanket that lays across the bottom. I caught him and put him outside. I have never had that happen before.

Back to the SF, I have even found a couple in our Laundry bin. That's not fun when you go to put your laundry in the wash and they come crawling out. Gaaaahh. Yuk.

So I live over in Westchester, CA and I've been noticing quite a bit of spiders and silverfish. Ordinarily I'd just squish them and seemed to not be such a problem.... But up until recently, these little buggers seem to be all over the place. Last week I had a spider propel itself down onto my face while I was laying in bed, and last night I had a silverfish crawl on my arm while in bed..... :gah:

The apartment building supposedly fumigates the place a few times a year, but how can I go about getting rid of these little pests in my place?? :ohbfrank:

I never really have a silverfish problem, although I did smash a little baby days ago; and in front of my flat screen tv. I encounter a hugh silverfish at work from my previous career.

Silverfish rock up whenever it's damp, so keeping your place dry and free of moisture is a good first step. I'd start with moisture absorbing packets, and if you happen to have a dehumidifier that could also make your place less attractive to them.

Sounds good but realisticly, I would dry up/suffer more than them.

I hate the name "silverfish." It sounds disgusting. Why couldn't they give bugs nice names. It would make them less threatening.

Instead of silverfish, they could've been called "silversmile."

My brother's now wife calls it water bugs, aka coachroaches! At least its not the gigantic roach from the amazon. But its the large, black, flying roach that I fear the most. Thorn on their legs and they can bite people. Little german roach is the norm in NY & NJ but I still don't like em anyway; who does?

They're pretty small. The silver on them comes off. I think they're pretty cool, but destructive little ____s.

Nothing like earwigs. I HATE THOSE THINGS! Their butt pinches hurt!

picture-6.png

I've seen alot of em from my last residence but I haven't seen em since.

Silverfish? They're nothing compared to what's coming at the end of the month,

A CHALLENGER APPROACHES!

brown_stink_bug_adult.jpg

Stinks bugs?!! They're seasonal I think. I've seen some south American countries eat em....taste like sweet candies I've heard. Probably not the same type. :D

Earwigs don't sting, they pinch with those butt pinchers and it hurts worse than a sting. I went to get my mail out of the mailbox and one was in there I didn't see and he got me by the pinky. He pinched so hard that it cut a hunk of skin out, just like using scissors! Hate 'em!

I never got sting by them. Did u tried to pick em up or something? :monkey3

I have seen some silverfish here and there and I do not like them. About a week or so ago I had a lizard on our bed. Seriously, I was like...wtf. It was just sleeping at the foot of the bed on the soft red blanket that lays across the bottom. I caught him and put him outside. I have never had that happen before.

Back to the SF, I have even found a couple in our Laundry bin. That's not fun when you go to put your laundry in the wash and they come crawling out. Gaaaahh. Yuk.

I've never had silverfish up here. Recently we've had a lot of gekkos getting into the house. I've caught like two in my room, two downstairs. I was cleaning a little while back and found just a dead one on a box.

Found a lot of earwigs too. Although these are the small non-pinching kind. Just little annoying things.

This is because your are the....bug whisperer.

The only thing I can say is that they are attracted to cardboard boxes and newspaper used as packing material. If you have a bunch of boxes stored in your garage and attic then you probably need to go through everything and upgrade to plastic boxes.

I've never had silverfish up here. Recently we've had a lot of gekkos getting into the house. I've caught like two in my room, two downstairs. I was cleaning a little while back and found just a dead one on a box.

Found a lot of earwigs too. Although these are the small non-pinching kind. Just little annoying things.

I really do not wish to see another lizard of any kind in here. What if I hadn't seen it and it got in my sheets? Yikes! :thud:

Back