anyone got the animated Saruman yet?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bonehead15 said:
It's not shadows. That's the paint ops. :(

I'm going to try to return it for a replacement.

Don't blame you a bit. Hopefully the next one will be much better. I certainly hope this isn't a widespread problem with these. I mean some of the edges on mine could be a tad bit cleaner but they definitely aren't noticeable unless you are really looking and that's really nothing unexpected on a piece like this.

I did... and had to send it back right away! Paint issues, like the other guy, or paint ISSUE to be more specific...

saruman001.jpg

Whoa! Someone was asleep at quality control that day! This is my first Gentle Giant product, and I have to say this didn't impress me. Oh, the statue is very, very cool sculpt wise, and if I turned the statue to where I couldn't see that damned lazy eye it looked fine.

Thankfully, BBTS was kind enough to replace it - they even sent a UPS guy the next day to pick it up. Hopefully the one that arrives next time will have no major issues.

Shame, Gentle Giant! I don't expect 100% flawlessness all the time, but there's no way an error that major should have been allowed to leave the factory.

Got mine today. Fantastic!! Everything about it is just stellar from the coloring of the piece and the base is very nice.

Last edited:
Looks like yours has got the eye problem too, Josh.

I better go check mine again :google

oxbeard said:
Looks like yours has got the eye problem too, Josh.

I better go check mine again :google

Yeah, I noticed that. Not gonna send it back though over it though cause the rest is really very nice.

Bonehead15 said:
I just got my replacement piece ang guess what?

The new piece is painted even worse. :censored

OUCH! Sorry About that Bonehead. I was going to mention that once I saw Josh's picture, I referred to mine and it's the same thing with the lazy eye. I think they're ALL like this. My Leia/R2-D2 has the same problem...it's like GG can't seem to paint 2 pupils aiming the same direction when they're looking off to the side. Looks like I'll have to modify my own. Other paint apps are GREAT on mine and I still really dig the piece.

Okay, do the eyes look as bad in person as they do in the pics?? I checked mine and actually while both eyes are not exactly in the same direction the are close enough to appear that he is looking far to the left. But at the same time I can see that if I took a snapshot from straight on, the left pupil may look much farther over than it actually is.

Really hate to hear that bonehead. I have really seen some nice overall paint jobs on these, so I know there are some good ones out there.

I got my replacement one and it has the same eye thingy. Is it intended to be that way? If it is, I don't care for it. I'm just keeping this second one.

I think it looks pretty bad, even in person. If you look at it from certain angles, it's less noticeable, but it shouldn't be that way. He should look cool no matter how he's positioned.

I have him turned to the left right now so the lazy eye is not visible, and he looks great. But that doesn't excuse the error (or poor decision, whichever it is).

The pics of Animated Jack Sparrow I've seen, though, look flawless. They must have got the back-up squad to paint poor Saruman.

I sent a review of the piece into Michael Crawford's site. Overall, it's a good piece, and I recommend picking it up if you really like Saruman like I do. Be warned about the paint apps, though - they are subpar, considering what the statue costs. If you can overlook this or find the statue for a good price, I'd pick it up.

saruman007.jpg

Hopefully Gandalf will have no problems.

WerbalKint said:
...The pics of Animated Jack Sparrow I've seen, though, look flawless.

Indeed, he's one of the BEST painted GG maquettes figures I've received. Guess Disney™ is a little tighter on paint apps than Lucas and New Line... :rolleyes:

WerbalKint said:
I sent a review of the piece into Michael Crawford's site. Overall, it's a good piece, and I recommend picking it up if you really like Saruman like I do. Be warned about the paint apps, though - they are subpar, considering what the statue costs. If you can overlook this or find the statue for a good price, I'd pick it up.

I love the statue, lazy eye and all...wish both eyes were pointed either forward or off to the side, but it looks like it's something I'll have to fix myself. Mt Leia/R2-D2 was the same way...it's like GG can't paint 2 eyes looking off to the side because one pupil would be burried in the nose...but that's the way it's supposed to be. Other than the eye, my paint apps were GREAT...love the slight overtones of gray/brown to 'filth' up the robes, just like the way he looked in the films. So far I'm loving the maquette lines for SW and LOTR...and now POTC...like most, I just wish some of the paint apps were a tiny bit better, but so far I've lucked out with what I think are some of the better painted pieces.

WerbalKint said:
Hopefully Gandalf will have no problems.

Agreed! I'm looking forward to displaying them together... :D

I saw the Saruman/Marty Feldman maquette at a local retailer today for the first time. The paint job wasn't very good and the lazy eye....yikes!:google

got mine yesterday, he looks ace, does have the boss eye thing going on, but I can live with it.
Was only going to get this one and Gandalf, but can see me ending up with a lot more, will place them in the detolf next to all my SW maquettes!
:D

Back