anyone ever made a custom body?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Astro_zombie

Super Freak
Reaction score
I did a search on this and came up empty handed. The question is simple enough, have you ever made a custom body size/shape? If so think you could give me some pointers?

I'm working on some customs from the multi Eisner award winning comic "The Goon". I've started to make a figure of Dr. Alloy but, the goon is a different story. Anyone have an idea of how to tackle this body type?

the-goon-movie.jpg

For non fans, hes on the right. As you can see hes built almost like a gorilla. Any advice at all would be great. Thanks!

For The Goon I would check Jakks Pacific Maximum Agregression line. They are about 13-14 inches and could be modified to fit your needs and would be easier than scratch building.

61-Th44CA6L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

*You can find them w/ bare arms.

Search Amazon or Ebay or even google for Jakks Maximum Aggression. They're wrestling figures.

alyasha on the osw forum did a really nice goon custom figure. you can search it using their search function and it should come up

Very cool, love seeing "The Goon" get attention.

I'll assume you're talking about 1/6 scale?

If not, I've thought about making some custom figures to go with Mezco's line and the Marvel Legends First Appearance Hulk is a perfect base, it'd need some modifying, but it's nearly identical in size to Mezco's figure.

Very excited to see what you come up with, especially if it's 1/6 scale...that'd be kick ass. And now you've got me in the mood to tackle those Goon customs...

Yeah, if you're going 1/6 I'd either go with the Jakks stuff or the Icons Hulk. But either way I think you're going to have to put Alloy on a smaller body. Think that's your best bet. I did use a Jakks body to build a custom Mark and it worked well, but I had to combine the lower half of a True Type with the upper torso of the Jakks body (it's detachable) to get it to fit into a pair pants. FYI

I am tinkering with the idea. Have to find the right ball sockets, etc...and I've kind of half assed a Mego scale Penguin...but that's still in the works and of course it's a super simplified body.

dsc02875g.jpg

dsc02975m.jpg

I made a frank miller Batman once using a roto cast hulk from the Ang Lee movie. Turned out pretty good, sold him on the bay though

I have a Goon wip in my to-do bin. I attached a Jakks upper body and arms to a Soldier Of The World lower body and legs. I also used one of those old Mezco(?) gangsters for the head. The only thing holding me up is reworking the mouth. I am not that good with Apoxie Sculpt yet.
IMG_1167.jpg

IMG_1166.jpg

IMG_1165.jpg

Nice work on that body fusion... I've wanted to do something similar for a Brock Samson figure for years :lol

Good to see the concept could work. So did you just saw the two bodies in half and then glue them together?

Nice work on that body fusion... I've wanted to do something similar for a Brock Samson figure for years :lol

Good to see the concept could work. So did you just saw the two bodies in half and then glue them together?

Both bodies come apart. The Jakks figures are made so you can interchange all the parts, from the head to the upper/lower bodies to the hands. There's a plug holding the hips and torso together. I used a TT for the lower half of my Marv custom. Just remove the screws and it comes right apart. Took a couple tries to cement them together but was able to do it using steel putty if I remember correctly.

I am tinkering with the idea. Have to find the right ball sockets, etc...and I've kind of half assed a Mego scale Penguin...but that's still in the works and of course it's a super simplified body.

dsc02875g.jpg

dsc02975m.jpg

Wow Jessica. That's impressive. Wanted to do something like this for a long time. Wish I had the sculpting skills.

Thainer, the body overhaul is awesome! Really gonna be great when he's completed!

And Jessica, I dig that work on Penguin and the umbrella looks great. I have sort of soft spot for Megos.

Yes I just cut them in half but the bottom of the SOTW body is concave so I rounded the meeting surface of the torso a little so it would mate with the lower half of the body better.

Yes I just cut them in half but the bottom of the SOTW body is concave so I rounded the meeting surface of the torso a little so it would mate with the lower half of the body better.

Hope to see this project finished soon, great use of the Mezco Gangster head. I have 2 of that guy, he's an awesome figure.

Thanks for the tips so far guys. I think I may end up running with the jakks idea. I'm going to try and hydrospan the mezco head sculpt and use that for the finished figure. I may also try and play around with the hot toys muscle body to see what I come up with.

Great work so Thainer, I'd love to see the finished thing!

Also before I forget, that is really nice work Jessica. How well does the clay stay on the body? Are you baking it with a heat lamp of some sort or in 2 sections?

Back