Any body do comic art? post your pics

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got the bug last night, and attempted my first "real" drawing in several years:

supermanjim101806smalljsahn7.jpg

Based on Alex Ross Superman art and was quite an exercise in patience
and frustration on my part. Many around here make it look so easy!

I hope to attempt more drawings in the near future.

JS :)

Did this tonight after a decade and a half plus of no drawing and a nice bowl of the finest longbottom...

my.php
[/URL][/IMG]

I'd like him in a sculpt btw..

Last edited:
Nice work, all!

I did some coloring for DC, Marvel, and Image in the early 90's, and thought I'd share a few pieces. Keep in mind that these were done well over a decade ago, when digital coloring was relatively new —* at least that's my excuse! :D My good friend and occasional collaborator, Mike Zeck, is the pencil artist.

This is the cover to Spider-Man: Redemption #1. I've posted the individual elements that made up the piece, along with the final composite and colors.

Here's my first attempt at digital painting. It was for a cover to a video game, the name of which escapes me. I didn't get the gig; it went to traditional airbrush artist and frequent Zeck collaborator, Phil Zimmelman.

My first cover for the kid-friendly Spider-Man Magazine.

That is awesome FrankenFan!!!

That is cool that you used to do that sorta thing. How come you didn't try to do more for Marvel???

Wow, Frank, I had no idea. :D I've probably got a lot of your stuff from that time period, too. I think it still holds up, myself.

Thanks, guys!

My brief stint as a comic book colorist was more avocation than professional pursuit. My buddy Mike would request me as his colorist and, I had a friend who worked in production at DC that got me in the door, there.

But, I was rather picky in terms of what assignments I'd accept: I preferred doing covers over interiors, along with leisurely deadlines that would allow me to also keep accepting the more lucrative agency work that was my true bread and butter. Not exactly the kind of worth ethic that gets one lots of assignments. :lol

Anyway, here are a couple more:

An unpublished Cap/Skull pin-up penciled by Mr. Zeck and inked by Big John Beatty

and the cover to The Kingdom #2 (I think...), which was also used for the TPB collection. Line art by Zeck and Beatty.

I jumped thru the hoops of drawing page after page of comics trying to break into my "dream job" when I was younger but quickly realized I didnt have the commitment needed.
anyway heres the only thing I have on my comp I can post right now.

display_1014941.jpg

FrankenFan said:
You may not have had the commitment, occulum, but the talent was clearly there!
well Im gonna have to throw that one back at you. youre work is awesome!

and the best banner designs to boot!
lets hope that Bride one is on its way out of circulation though

Bodie, Nice artwork, but isn't that sculpted somewhere, because the image looks like a take on one of the monsters from the old Dungeons and Dragons manuals. I never played, but my older brother did, and I loved to check out his miniatures and leaf through the old monster manuals! I would be surprised if they didn't manufacture a little lead version of that monster!
Cool artwork everybody! I used to find comic book illustrations and try to recreate them in high school, but it has been a long time since I have tried drawing anything, but I am certainly inspired!

It's nice to see we all seem to have the same background in messing around with art. Great job everyone! No art is bad art. It's why Disney refuses to let it's imagineer's put erasers on those pencils. But if the CIA has got you pushing to many of them I guess sometimes you have too! <--Predator 12' please SIDESHOW!

Seaward said:
Bodie, Nice artwork, but isn't that sculpted somewhere, because the image looks like a take on one of the monsters from the old Dungeons and Dragons manuals. I never played, but my older brother did, and I loved to check out his miniatures and leaf through the old monster manuals! I would be surprised if they didn't manufacture a little lead version of that monster!

Good memory.. He is on the cover of D&D's Fiend Folio, a book of dark creatures.. I believe he is named Githyankee.. ANd your right, Ill bet they do have a lil lead figure of him.

Cool Bodie,
It's amazing what gets trapped in my brain. I am convinced that for every useless factoid I remember about star wars or lord of the rings, a happy childhood memory is kicked out of my brain for being too full....

Not to change the subject, but along with Seaward and Bodie........

In Return of the King, when all the armies are leaving Minas Morgul, did they not flash to a couple of orcs that were made up from AD&D covers???

Mith, I'd have to re-watch ROTK (curse you!:lol ) to check, but I'd be surprised if they didn't pay a little homage to the old D&D stuff somewhere. I remember the first artwork previewed for the films looked very reminiscient of old D&D stuff. I used to love the floating eyeball-head thing...I think it was called Beholder, and was surprised to see it featured in a Futurama episode, as well as Big Trouble in Little China!
Anymore art? I am getting tempted to bust out the sketch pad! I actually want to recreate the painting of the Belafonte from the Life Aquatic DVD booklet for my brothers for Christmas, since we are all huge fans of the movie, and I am totally inspired by all this art!

doing some house cleaning today and stumbled across a lot of old stuff.
have a lot more, just have to scan in.

SpawnInks.jpg

BatmanPencils.jpg

OriginalInks.jpg

Back