Any Blurays to avoid/wait for a better release?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What? The blu-ray has many extras, including the commentary and so on. What did the hd-dvd had besides that?

Up in Canada Alliance has the distribution rights to most of the Universal movies.
The Alliance releases tend to be a sub-par transfer and barebones for the most part.

We have to be REALLY careful with our BD purchases up here for that very reason.

Those features *are* on The Thing blu-ray, region B (maybe they didn't released them on region A, though it sounds strange).

I don't know about region A vs. B (isn't it region 1, 2 and so on?), but it's the blu-ray for sale in North America. The standard DVD has all the extras, as did the HD-DVD version, but not the blu-ray.

Up in Canada Alliance has the distribution rights to most of the Universal movies.
The Alliance releases tend to be a sub-par transfer and barebones for the most part.

We have to be REALLY careful with our BD purchases up here for that very reason.

They're usually identical to the US releases, with the exception of bilingual packaging. The versions available in Japan, Australia and Europe, however, can be significantly different.

And it doesn't change the fact that those extras are present on the standard edition and HD-DVD versions of the movie available for purchase up here. So why would the law be different for blu-rays?

I've just kept my HD-DVD version until a better blu-ray comes out.

They're usually identical to the US releases, with the exception of bilingual packaging.

Actually the majority Alliance releases are not identical. Trust me, I've been burned.

Luckily Amazon.ca tends to carry both versions.

Example of Alliance vs. Lionsgate:
https://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDReviews44/requiem_for_a_dream_blu-ray.htm

Here's a list of the currently released Alliance titles along with whether the OAR is in tact, or special features available (normally none).

https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/546911-canadian-blu-ray-releases-complete-list-discussion.html

I don't know about region A vs. B (isn't it region 1, 2 and so on?), but it's the blu-ray for sale in North America. The standard DVD has all the extras, as did the HD-DVD version, but not the blu-ray.

Yeah, region B for blu-rays is the equivalent of region 2 for dvds, and that blu-ray version (region B, uk) has all of those features you mentioned above (commentary, outtakes etc).

Yeah, region B for blu-rays is the equivalent of region 2 for dvds, and that blu-ray version (region B, uk) has all of those features you mentioned above (commentary, outtakes etc).

Lucky buggers. We constantly get nailed with new collector's editions and double-dips. Ten to one they're waiting for the release of the remake to dump an all-inclusive edition of Carpenter's classic on the market. And damned if I won't buy it. :monkey2

I really think TDK was "underdeveloped" in the extras.I would love to see an Ultimate Collector's Edition for that film.

Actually the majority Alliance releases are not identical. Trust me, I've been burned.

Luckily Amazon.ca tends to carry both versions.

Example of Alliance vs. Lionsgate:
https://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDReviews44/requiem_for_a_dream_blu-ray.htm

Here's a list of the currently released Alliance titles along with whether the OAR is in tact, or special features available (normally none).

https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/546911-canadian-blu-ray-releases-complete-list-discussion.html

Man, we always get the shaft. Luckily, I only own three of the titles on that list; the Blade flicks. But I don't think the US versions are any different, so it's not like I can upgrade them at the moment.

Found out something else about The Thing HD-DVD vs. Blu-Ray; the HD-DVD version is in 1.85:1 aspect ratio, while the blu-ray is in 2.40:1. Yet another reason to hang onto that HD-DVD version for the time being.

If you are planning to get Gangs of New York on BluRay, get the Remastered version. The first release was pretty much crap in terms of everything :D

Ghostbuster on bluray was horrible. grainy, speckly and just horrid in any dark, or even slightly dark scenes. Such a dissapointment.

2001: A Space Odyssey however is just about as perfect as you'll be able to get.

Back