ANH Buckets

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been waiting for these for so long, and I was so impressed with them in hand, that I immediately started working on them. :)
So far I've dremeled out the eyes on two of them - the third has the largest amount of build up around that area inside, so it will take some more work.
Next step will be applying Mr Surfacer to the uneven areas and sanding them smooth. I'm hoping to finish at least two of them over the next couple of weeks.

IMG_5270_small.jpg

Hey guys. So I've been in contact with Solo Bones. He had a mishap with his casting process but sent me a head to make a mold of and distribute. If you wanted to get one please send me a PM. Incidentally I smoothed out the edges and cured the bubbles.

Hey guys. So I've been in contact with Solo Bones. He had a mishap with his casting process but sent me a head to make a mold of and distribute. If you wanted to get one please send me a PM. Incidentally I smoothed out the edges and cured the bubbles.

Wow - tempted. SOD's casting is some of the best I've ever seen. And the fact he's smoothed it out and gotten rid of the bubbles is such a massive deal - I was kinda traumatized by the amount of sanding I had to do on mine, and there were a couple of bubbles to get rid of too.

There's a fair amount of work to paint/decal a stormie helmet, but with the no-sanding aspect I'm tempted to do another one, maybe use for a sandie.

Wow, great to hear. Do you have any shots of these?

My three buckets are now at various stages of completion, one fully ready for the first layer of white paint. I'm hoping I did a good enough job of priming, filling, and sanding that they will be smooth once painted.

Hey guys! I?m making a cast of the helmet tomorrow so I should have something to show either late tomorrow or Tuesday!

Nice. Are you making casts from an original 3D print or off a resin cast? I have a resin cast of the 'move along' high-browed Sandtrooper helmet; not sure how many of those got made which is why I'm curious as to the chances of reproducing that.

Nice. Are you making casts from an original 3D print or off a resin cast? I have a resin cast of the 'move along' high-browed Sandtrooper helmet; not sure how many of those got made which is why I'm curious as to the chances of reproducing that.

I made a resin cast for these. They're nice and solid. Here's the cast with all sides showing. Plus the mics! If you want one from Solo just send me a PM!

IMG_0576.jpg

Might as well share these shots here. I finished my first bucket today, very happy with the outcome. The hours and hours of sanding paid off. :lol
Now that one is done, I shouldn't need much longer for the second one. The hardest parts (sanding, priming and white paint) are done already.

Attachments

• IMG_5725_3_small.jpg
    IMG_5725_3_small.jpg
    374.7 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_5730_3_small.jpg
    IMG_5730_3_small.jpg
    367.3 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_5761_2_small.jpg
    IMG_5761_2_small.jpg
    359.6 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_5775_2_small.jpg
    IMG_5775_2_small.jpg
    354.1 KB · Views: 45
Turned out fantastic!
Looking good :clap
Thanks guys!
The stormtrooper helmet is such a beautiful sculpt, it's great to have it properly represented in my collection.
I have one more for my second stormtrooper and a third for a sandtrooper. I eventually want to go for 3 sandtroopers in my display though, so I'm already thinking if I can get 2 more.

That looks so awesome agon86! But yeah I feel your pain on the sanding thing - I sanded for a long time but kind of gave up after a while. My helmet looks decent smoothness-wise but I would have loved to have gone that 10/10 distance on the sanding, but I just ran out of patience.

I think Son of Dengar's recast of this helmet may have taken care of the sanding issue to a large degree, but not 100% sure on that. I haven't seen any pics posted of that recast painted up.

Really wish someone would do all the damn sanding/work, then cast the result and just sell those! :lol

That looks so awesome agon86! But yeah I feel your pain on the sanding thing - I sanded for a long time but kind of gave up after a while. My helmet looks decent smoothness-wise but I would have loved to have gone that 10/10 distance on the sanding, but I just ran out of patience.

I think Son of Dengar's recast of this helmet may have taken care of the sanding issue to a large degree, but not 100% sure on that. I haven't seen any pics posted of that recast painted up.

Really wish someone would do all the damn sanding/work, then cast the result and just sell those! :lol

Thanks! To be honest, after all the priming and sanding I still wasn't 100% happy with how smooth it was. I was hoping that the layers of white would take of it, which they luckily did. I did spend some evenings in front of the tv, watching a movie, all the while sanding a bucket with 600-1000 grit paper. :lol

A smooth cast would be amazing, yeah. I'd love to see one of SOD's casts painted up. The cast lines on the dome seem to be fixed, though the ears are still a bit rough.

Might as well share these shots here. I finished my first bucket today, very happy with the outcome. The hours and hours of sanding paid off. :lol
Now that one is done, I shouldn't need much longer for the second one. The hardest parts (sanding, priming and white paint) are done already.
Holy crap! That looks fantastic. Very nice work!

Holy crap! That looks fantastic. Very nice work!
Thanks, Kris!

I finished my second stormtrooper bucket yesterday. Very happy to finally have both upgraded now. I also increased the height of the short stormtrooper by making a new chest ball joint. The original one was just too short for my taste. Now there's just a subtle height difference between the two.
I included some comparison shots with other buckets I have. From left to right: marmit sandtrooper, HT stormtrooper, SoloBones stormtrooper, HT sandtrooper.
I still quite like the HT sandtrooper, but I'm happy that I got a third bucket to upgrade the marmit sandie one as well.

IMG_5835_2_small.jpg
IMG_5839_2_small.jpg
IMG_5866_2_small.jpg
IMG_5885_2_small.jpg
IMG_5888_2_small.jpg
IMG_5889_2_small.jpg

Attachments

• 455D4D92-6439-445C-BCB1-55CBEEDD738E.jpeg
    455D4D92-6439-445C-BCB1-55CBEEDD738E.jpeg
    284 KB · Views: 15
  • 80FBFD14-6C1C-4DC3-9D67-1E097CFC71E8.jpeg
    80FBFD14-6C1C-4DC3-9D67-1E097CFC71E8.jpeg