And so it begins....

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DouglasMcc

Super Freak
Reaction score
Well, my Inbox was hit with a tidal wave of Sideshow emails today. Any other month in the year, that would be cause for celebration. However, not 2 weeks after X-mas. Sigh ... and I have a feeling there will be more e-mails in the next 2 weeks. Already had to think long and hard and "cut the fat."

Keeping:
Legolas - it might have been a harder choice if not for the fact that its friggin' Legolas. Boromir and bro might not have made the cut. But I will own the Trinity of Arse-kickin' some day ... i.e. as soon as Sideshow perfects that Dwarf body
Lorne - still a Whedon-aholic. Still hoping he doesn't hit til after the 20th, but he's mine.
Bib Fortuna - ironically, he was on the cut list til I worked out a sell and trade for the exclusive parts.

Cutting:
Salacious - sorry, still not 100% on whether I will be getting Jabba and throne. Plus, the more I think about it, the more insulted I feel over being charged 40 bucks for an accessory that should have come with Jabba .. but I won't go down that road again .. don't need the flames. Besides, I bet the regular edition will be easy to find next month online if I change my mind.
T-800 - Well, this one hurt, but I have the Popsalute T3 Arnie already. Had to cut an expensive fig and figure it will be easy to pick up the regular version later in the year.
T-1000 - Ditto to the T-800 message. Plus, the exclusive arms aren't working for me. Worse case scenario, I pick up a regular Arnie and exc. Sarah and call it a day.

Sacrificing one for the team:
Luke and Yoda PF - Cancelled this piece back in October when I expected to get a PS3 (which ironically is in stock everywhere now ... and I just feel meh...). However a week ago, I started to feel a ting. Managed to work out a trade of my PF exclusive Obi for a regular Luke/Yoda. Sure, I will miss the Vader/Obi Diorama, but I can live with just Luke and Vader PF .. they are the key stones to the saga (and yes Tom, maybe Boba later).

So, with this ill-timed Sideshow landslide, what hard decisions have you guys/gals had to make?

None yet - but I agree the timing kinda sucks. And the old "you've had X to prepare" doesn't help when the lag time from proto to delivery ranges from a couple of months to just over 12 months.......

Of course I've now got 4 figures that are "processing soon" and not a one has actually been precharged to my card yet.

Send off an email to customer service yesterday requesting combined shipping as four separate shipping charges at $US50 a pop will kill the budget.

Shipping 3 together saves a substantial amt (well - maybe not now that Legolas & Starwars have non-standard boxes).............

Well, I have gone full circle. From cancelling PF grey Hulk or exclusive Luke and Yoda, too cancelling both of them, to selling my entire collection. Back to selling either Hulk or Luke/ Yoda. But in the end I have decided Hulk will look cool next to PF exclusive Captain America and I just can't bring myself to stop the Star Wars collection. So as of right now, everything is still intact.
I hope it continues that way, but with this feast or famine shipping from Sideshow it does make it difficult to choose....who stays and who goes.

We've known for 6 months that it was going to be a rough 1st Qtr. I've had 6 months to plan and budget for this tidal wave so I wouldn't have to cancel.

Darth Loki said:
We've known for 6 months that it was going to be a rough 1st Qtr. I've had 6 months to plan and budget for this tidal wave so I wouldn't have to cancel.

Lord Azrael said:
And the old "you've had X to prepare" doesn't help when the lag time from proto to delivery ranges from a couple of months to just over 12 months.......

Of the four figures I'm receiving only one was scheduled to ship this month. The others were supposed to have come ages ago.

LordAzrael said:
Of the four figures I'm receiving only one was scheduled to ship this month. The others were supposed to have come ages ago.

I'm sorry but I don't buy that at all. If a figure is delayed, it gives you more time to save for it. Even if it hits with other figures, in theory, it should've been paid for months ago. I know X-Mas just hit and that can throw a lot of things out of wack though.

Another thing that can throw off your plans are products released by other companies. Much of the time it's a guessing game when they'll be released and if they come out unexpectedly, it can throw off your finance plans.
Also some expenses can't be anticipated, like having to replace a punctured tire which takes much away from your savings (happened to me last month).

screamingmetal said:
Another thing that can throw off your plans are products released by other companies. Much of the time it's a guessing game when they'll be released and if they come out unexpectedly, it can throw off your finance plans.
Also some expenses can't be anticipated, like having to replace a punctured tire which takes much away from your savings (happened to me last month).

Spot on. Basically I buy them planning to pay for them in 6 months time - and if I buy 4 at once I know I'll have to put money aside, but if I buy 1 month i figure I can pay for them as they arrive and don't need to worry.

I budget a certain amount each month to spend on collectibles, and if nothing I've preordered arrives - this goes on products that are already on the market that I may already have, or that I manage to snag on ebay.

I'd even be happy if SSC let us pay in full upfront - like most people if I have the money in my account and see something I like - I grab it.

DouglasMcc said:
...but I can live with just Luke and Vader PF .. they are the key stones to the saga...

My sentiments exactly!

I had to cancel T-800, Final Battle Scarface, Electric Tiki - The Maltese Chimp Statue and Grey Hulk PF Waitlist (like it was ever gonna convert).

I recently cancelled Bib, Leia, the whole Jabba set up, and Luke and Yoda.

I cut the subject 57 figure, Luke/Yoda, a couple sets of bust ups from SWS.

Got other stuff I wanna make sure I can afford and I'm gonna be at SDCC in July gotta start saving now honestly.

Not cutting Salacious for sure. He is well worth the money to get. A very nice set of figures. Honestly, it's well worth the money for $40 bucks you get some nice stuff. Besides Jabba and friends is just too damn cool to cut.

It been expensive so far and it gonna get worse.

Paid so far $156.00
Bid-$63
Subject 57-$53
Creature PAck-$40

Still gotta pay(ESTIMATED WITH SHIPPING)$735.00
Legolas-$63(??)--(next 30 days)
Boromir-$72(??)
Jabba & Throne-$340(??)
Leatherface PF-$260(??)--(next 30 days)

But I have the money set aside, so I should be good*fingers crossed*

I only had to axe Luke/Yoda, and I was never really sold on it to begin with.

I really wish Sideshow would go back to the two month estimate instead of these "Qtrs" that are never even close. Weren't the Terminators supposed to be 2nd Qtr to begin with?

King Darkness said:
It been expensive so far and it gonna get worse.

Paid so far $156.00
Bid-$63
Subject 57-$53
Creature PAck-$40

Still gotta pay(ESTIMATED WITH SHIPPING)$735.00
Legolas-$63(??)--(next 30 days)
Boromir-$72(??)
Jabba & Throne-$340(??)
Leatherface PF-$260(??)--(next 30 days)

But I have the money set aside, so I should be good*fingers crossed*
That reminds me King, think I am going to axe that Leatherface.

Back