Ancient Spear Fix Tutorial

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gargoyle67

Super Freak
Reaction score
I bought an Ancient AVP figure off a nice member on here that came with a broken Alien head\spear, I've read on the AVP thread members that have done this fix. So I though that it's the best permanent fix for such breaks and would also work on broken AVP spears in general, But no ones posted a tutorial on how to actually do it. So here goes :)
In easy 1,2,3 stages :hi5:

What you need:
Super Glue Gel (I find the gel version much better and less risk of running)
1.5 mm drill bit (or smaller, But no bigger than 1.5mm)
Match stick or similar
Sand paper or modeling knife.
Steady hands :wink1:
gluepeg.jpg

1) Offer the two broken ends together so you know which way round they need to be glued. Carefully drill out the black area with the drill bit, I just used my fingers with the drill bit as you have more control and less likely to damage anything. It's pretty easy as the plastic is soft, Just make sure your in the center of the area your drilling\removing.
headdrill.jpg

headcloseup.jpg

Do the same to the other end of the spear:
speardrill.jpg

speartopcloseup.jpg

2) Get your match stick or just cut a bit of wood and whittle it down, You know the width you need for the match\plug to be as it's the size of your drill bit. I just kept running the match\plug over sand paper until I had the right width. Now all you need to do is work out the length, Just keep offering the plug up and trimming until you get a flush fit.
(check my glue pic above, Just to the right you can see my peg)

See next Post for Part 3:

Part 3:

3) Gluing, I used Super Glue Gel as it's less likely to run onto your precious figure parts, Just dab the one end of your match\peg into a small glob of the glue and insert into one of your drilled holes making sure you push the peg all the way down, Being careful not to force your peg as you don't want it to snap ! I actually marked my peg at one end when I knew I had a flush fit at the alien head as the peg ends can be slightly different.
headtoppeg.jpg

headsidepeg.jpg

Next dab the other end of your peg with a small glob of glue and carefully press your to pieces together !
headfix3.jpg

headfix2.jpg

headfix1.jpg

Last edited:
I would make 1 suggestion;use something a bit more durable than a match stick.When re-inforcing broken shafts I find a steel pin to be a much better choice...PS

Yes I thought about a metal pin but the join even with wood is still stronger than the actual rest of the plastic spear shaft, Plus the glue sets hard around the peg.Working with wood is a lot easier then trying to shape\cut a metal pin, Unless its really thin and that kinda defeats the object ?
Still if you can find a piece of metal the right size it couldn't hurt could it :wink1:

When I had to fix the spear that came with She-Predator Machiko I used a section of a paper clip to reinforce the join, I learned that trick when building Warhammer 40K models.

What size drill bits did you guys use and what would you say the gauge of the wire you used ? Just in case forum members want to go the wire route, Thanks for your input guys :1-1:

I'm not sure about the size of the drill bits that I use but they are the ones that come with the Games Workshop hand drill. As for the wire, any standard size paper-clip will do just buy a pack with different sizes in it and try them untill you find one that works.

AVP Chopper spear fix now with wire !

Got a AVP Chopper the other week from I nice German chap, But he managed to break the spear tip while packing.
So after a few comments from fellow members I decided to try the wire fix.

Parts needed:

Super Glue Gel or equivalent.
1.2 mm Drill bit.
1.2mm Galvanised Wire Or 1.2mm paper clip.
Model Craft Micro Hand Drill or equivalent.
Wire Cutter Or Pliers :

Same principle as the wooden peg fix in this thread:
spearbrokenends.jpg

Drill into black part of the plastic end, About 4mm to 5mm is deep enough:
speardrilledends.jpg

Offer wire and bend\trim to fit, Only apply glue when your happy with a flush fit (Note the wire in this pic is way too long I was just gaging the depth):
spearofferwire.jpg

Fixed :yess:
spearfixedfront.jpg
spearfixedside.jpg

I did find wire a lot harder to work with, Bending e.c.t
I'll let you guys decide for your selfs which way you think is better.

I've got a AVP shoulder Armour to fix next as it came snapped through the mail, So watch this space :wink1:

Ok finally got round to fixing the shoulder Armour on my Chopper Pred, It was a lot harder than I originally thought it would be, And I tried a few different things before settling on this fix.

Parts needed:

Super Glue Gel or equivalent.
Model Craft Micro Hand Drill or equivalent.
Plastic Motherboard Standoff x1. (Buy @Ebay or other)
Hobby Knife or Stanley Blade.
2mm Thick neoprene rubber sheet black. (Buy @Ebay or other)
3mm Drill bit.
Milliput Black 2 Part Epoxy Putty (Buy @Ebay or other)
Ruler.
needed.jpg

plasticstandoff.jpg

1) Remove the Chest Armour from the damaged shoulder Armour side, in my case the right side. Carefully remove the old plastic strap remnants from the the chest Armour and shoulder Armour, I used a pair of pliers but you can use a knife to shave off the damaged part.Once you have the area clear you'll notice the strap was stuck on small square with a plastic pin that goes through to the underside of the Armour. You can see the top of the plastic pin, Drill through that with the 3mm drill bit so you have a nice hole:
oldplasticsquare.jpg
[/URL]ImageShack.us
holeclose.jpg

2) Cut a length off your 2mm thick rubber to use as the new strap 1/2 inch wide:
5inchrubber.jpg

Offer up your new rubber strap to gage the length and use the shoulder Armour underside to help the judge the length needed, Cut when your happy with the measurement, I think my was around an inch and a half. Then drill a hole at one end of the rubber strip, I used a 2mm drill bit as the rubber stretches for your soon to be installed plastic pin, Please ignore the hole at the right side of the rubber strip in the pic as I was experimenting:
rubberlength.jpg

3) Use a small amount of Milliput Epoxy Putty (about the size of a marble) and mold your strap into place on the underside of your shoulder Amour, Smooth the putty with water if you like and leave to set over night, But make sure you have the rubber strap in the center and right length ! as this stuff sets rock hard:
armourstrip.jpg

4) Take your plastic motherboard standoff as pictured in the Parts Needed section, And cut the top threaded section off it with either scissors or Stanley blade and discard it but mind your fingers ! You should be left with a tack like piece. With your blade cut down both of the inner sides of the standoff point and remove the middle bit. You can now put this through both your rubber strap hole and chest Armour hole.

Once you have your plastic pin(standoff) in place bend the two plastic bits to either side and cut a small piece of your rubber to act as a plug.
Press your rubber plug firmly into place between the two plastic standoff legs keeping pressure on the other side of the standoff head. Once your happy everything looks right put a good bit of super Glue Gell around the rubber plug and standoff legs:
insertedstandoffwithplu.jpg

Thats it all done :yess:, I notice another of my AVP figures where the shoulder Armour has gone pretty weak so I guess I'll be doing another one later, Must just be a thing that goes on these over time.
finishedclose.jpg

Last edited:
Ah, Not sure how permanent that would be as even hot toys put a plastic pin in the strap for extra strength. Plus my strap went in the middle so I wouldn't have been able to re-use, Also it gets pretty brittle with age which is why it snapped in the first place.

Back