Amazon Kindle Fire tablet ($200)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plasmid303

Super Freak
Reaction score
"From Kindle, Fire is born."

$199. November 15th. [ame="https://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Color-Multi-touch-Display-Wi-Fi/dp/B0051VVOB2/ref=amb_link_357575542_7?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=gateway-center-column&pf_rd_r=19DC5BF62GAYQZS69FTG&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1321408942&pf_rd_i=507846"]Pre-order available on Amazon.com.[/ame]

3fb8afb5-7ffa-4b8c-b8f1-723adb6f204c.jpg

[ame=https://youtu.be/jUtmOApIslE] youtube[/ame]

7" IPS display 1024x768 Gorilla Glass coating
1 GHZ Dual-Core CPU - 512mb ram
14.6 ounces
8GB internal storage
Wi-Fi Only
Android 2.3
Amazon Marketplace + Android Appstore
Amazon Cloud service

No camera and no physical buttons.

So, is this Apple's first true competitor in the tablet market? It doesn't directly compete against the iPad, being $200 and 7" screen, but really, it's more of a rival than any other manufacturer has been so far. Even if the Fire isn't or won't be, it will still dominate over the non-iPad tablet market (Samsung, Blackberry, Motorola, etc etc).

impressions:
https://www.engadget.com/2011/09/28/amazon-kindle-fire-impressions/ (video)
https://gizmodo.com/5844623/amazon-kindle-fire-tablet-will-cost-a-shocking-199
https://www.engadget.com/2011/09/28/amazon-fire-tablet-unveiled-7-inch-display-199-price-tag/

Also, in related news, the Kindle e-reader series adds one more, and drops the price of another:

3814684d-3b93-432f-88a9-9796ad03e170.jpg

I think a lot of people that have been holding off on the iPad will jump on this. It sounds like a great low-priced tablet.

Forgot to mention in op. The Kindle Fire has only a 2-finger touch capacity screen, whereas iPad has 11 touch points.

Also, the Fire has ~8 hour battery life watching video, Wi-Fi off.

The first Android tablet since the nook color to have any staying power. Should be good for people who just want a light media consumption device rather than plunking down for a more fully featured iPad.

Personally, I'm more excited about the e-ink Kindle pricing. :panic: :panic: :panic:

There's definitely a market for a "cheap ipad". I think with it's large content library, cloud, and focus on value for the consumer, Amazon is the perfect foil for Apple right now. With the power of the Kindle brand also behind it, I think this will do well.

Apple is still far and away the leader, but maybe now more folks will be able to get in on a solid touchpad device.

I'm definitely in for one of these. I'm planning to let my kids use it. It's even cheaper than an Ipod for goodness sakes. :p

The Kindle Fire is very giftable, at that price. I intend to get a couple for my parents and my sister as holiday presents. If I didn't already have an iPad, I get a Fire for myself.

My Mom got a kindle for her birthday at the begining of this month and has loved it. She heard the news today and we promptly sent it back and ordered this new one. :lol For only a $60 difference, the new one is well worth it!

So does this thing have a touch screen keyboard, and can you create documents on it?

It's running Android, so it can do everything other Android devices can do.

It may need to be rooted for some things though... It's using a heavily customized Android that barely resembles Android at all. I don't think we're going to know for sure until it comes out.

It may need to be rooted for some things though... It's using a heavily customized Android that barely resembles Android at all. I don't think we're going to know for sure until it comes out.

Is that in the demonstration videos?

I know it's running Android 2.3, I just assumed it would then have a bunch of Amazon apps

Is that in the demonstration videos?

I know it's running Android 2.3, I just assumed it would then have a bunch of Amazon apps

It was mentioned in one of the liveblogs I was reading. There was also a follow up interview with Bezos where he said they'd "look into" allowing epub readers or even the nook app. That suggests to me that it's going to be locked down and the only apps available will be those curated by Amazon through their own app store. And who knows if the selection for the Fire on the Amazon app will be the same as the selection for phones?

I think I'll be getting this (after I got screwed out of a cheap TouchPad). I don't own a Smartphone (don't want to spend the extra $30 per month on something I wont use)...but I think I could put this tablet to good use.

What's the monthly charge for an iPad or Kindle?

I think the iPad 3G charge is like $20 a month

The Kindle Fire does not have 3G so it's just wi-fi so no monthly charge.

The Kindle Touch has a 3G option, which is free, however from what I've read you can only browse the internet on Wi-Fi and use 3G for downloading stuff.

The older Kindle+3G has free 3G and 3G web browsing.

Back