Am I too picky about my Deadpool Sixth Scale Box?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We aren't even talking about the shipper box, this is about the actual collectible's box. If it was about the shipper I wouldn't have even posted on here because I don't think it should be Sideshow's job to deliver you a mint shipper box as long as the artwork box is good. His item was not properly packaged and because of this it was damaged so if he wanted a new box sideshow should send him one and maybe next time just bubble wrap it to begin with and this wouldn't happen :lecture

View attachment 222038

I mentioned mostly shipper damage but my explanation extended to art box damage as well with the same outcome, still selling for average market value with small dents as pictured(which is real common with no pack out). IMO worrying about a little dent like that kinda borders on asinine and contacting any business for replacements should be reserved for defects of the figure itself. Again I'd rather not sell to anyone that picky about a small dent, too much chance of a rocky sale.

I mentioned mostly shipper damage but my explanation extended to art box damage as well with the same outcome, still selling for average market value with small dents as pictured(which is real common with no pack out). IMO worrying about a little dent like that kinda borders on asinine and contacting any business for replacements should be reserved for defects of the figure itself. Again I'd rather not sell to anyone that picky about a small dent, too much chance of a rocky sale.

If you were going to buy a car and it had a dent in it, would you pay full price? It is a proven fact in the collectible's world that box condition does affect value, so I really don't understand how worrying about a crushed corner is asinine. I would prefer to not worry about that kind of stuff, I hate that I have to save all my boxes and worry about their condition when all I care about is the figure, but I have experience in selling collectible's and I know that most buyers understand condition value and want a mint box. Many buyers don't care and just want the figure but they also want to pay less for it, if you want to get a high end price for your figure you need the mint condition box to go with the mint figure otherwise you start losing money, it blows my mind that people don't understand this, and if you are ok with losing money if you resell than that's fine but don't bad mouth somebody else for wanting to be able to get their full value back out of something that they paid a lot of money for :lecture

If you were going to buy a car and it had a dent in it, would you pay full price? It is a proven fact in the collectible's world that box condition does affect value, so I really don't understand how worrying about a crushed corner is asinine. I would prefer to not worry about that kind of stuff, I hate that I have to save all my boxes and worry about their condition when all I care about is the figure, but I have experience in selling collectible's and I know that most buyers understand condition value and want a mint box. Many buyers don't care and just want the figure but they also want to pay less for it, if you want to get a high end price for your figure you need the mint condition box to go with the mint figure otherwise you start losing money, it blows my mind that people don't understand this, and if you are ok with losing money if you resell than that's fine but don't bad mouth somebody else for wanting to be able to get their full value back out of something that they paid a lot of money for :lecture

Don't talk of facts about value I'd go with anecdote. If relating to a new car the box is like the plastic protection over the seats and body and complaining the plastic is dirty or ripped...and if your worried about top dollar only a new sealed example will get that. Once its opened its used and will be priced accordingly.

You don't invest on toys. You invest on other things.

Sorry, but if one sees this things as investments, said parson is an idiot and soon will find that out.

Also, like I've written three times now, if you STATE in your auction description what the condition of the "shipper" is, you won't get annoying questions.

I always say that it looks like crap, and that has labels all over it. And put pics. Therefore I'm not liable if a shipper lover didn't like it.

I never do "packouts" either, as the "shipper" does that job perfectly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have doubled and even tripled my initial investment on hot toys before and at very least I have almost broke even when selling, but that is also because I take care of my "Investment". Anything you spend money on is an investment so because you can't get any money back out of your "toys" that doesn't mean that other people don't try and make sure that theirs are still worth something. My god you are an idiot, the fact that you have to post the condition of your crap boxes on eBay should show you that it is affecting your value, I'm done trying to beat sense into a rock tho, so you keep on not caring about your collectible's and getting less money out of them.

I have doubled and even tripled my initial investment on hot toys before and at very least I have almost broke even when selling, but that is also because I take care of my "Investment". Anything you spend money on is an investment so because you can't get any money back out of your "toys" that doesn't mean that other people don't try and make sure that theirs are still worth something. My god you are an idiot, the fact that you have to post the condition of your crap boxes on eBay should show you that it is affecting your value, I'm done trying to beat sense into a rock tho, so you keep on not caring about your collectible's and getting less money out of them.

Toys aren't investments.

You got all that wrong. A car is not an investment, and Hot toys are hardly what they used to be. I've sold quite a bit of HT (all my collection, actually) and I've never had any problems with a "shipper" because i clearly stated that i only ship in shippers.

You might like to call them that, but you are wrong. Buy real state, get a mentor to coach you and buy stocks. Forex. Rarities that will double in value. Those are investments. A HT doll is not.

No need to use personal insults either.

Toys aren't investments.

You guys are completely missing the point here, I'm not saying I buy them to make money, I buy them because I enjoy the figure and display it. What I'm saying is that as with anything expensive purchase(cars, guns, houses, etc...) if you understand the value and what buyers are looking for and you take care of your "investment" as in your initial purchase, you can sometimes make money or at least break even when and if you are ready to sell. I really don't understand why this is hard to grasp?????? And the only reason that I even entered into this discussion was because fran was personally insulting someone on here and I thought it was ********.

I didn't insult anyone, you did.

I was generalizing, and thought that the OP was exaggerating. I never called him names.

You on the other hand, did.

If comparing a doll to a house makes sense to you, then there's no point talking to you.

I didn't insult anyone, you did.

I was generalizing, and thought that the OP was exaggerating. I never called him names.

You on the other hand, did.

If comparing a doll to a house makes sense to you, then there's no point talking to you.

I can't think of anything much more insulting to say to someone then "they are what's wrong with the world" which is what you said to him. If your money is worth less because you spent it on one thing instead of another, then I can't see any point in talking to you either. Money is money if I lose $100 I don't care if it was on a house or on a "doll", I still lost $100 on my "investment" and if I can prevent that from happening I will.

I look at it this way. I was an 80's child with a reasonable size collection of G1 Transformers and Masters of the Universe, with a couple of Thundercats and DC Comics Superheros. (never bought any GI Joe or even Star Wars figures, but I digress)

Some of those are worth a lot of money in mint condition, especially if the boxes have never been opened. Do I regret actually having a childhood, no longer owning the boxes, having loose figures with missing stickers and loose limbs in a couple of shoe boxes in storage? (yes I still own them)... no.

As an adult, while Hot Toys are too expensive and I'm too old to "play" with them, I do get an immense sense of enjoyment looking at them. I consider them models more than I do action figures or dolls. I love the detail of the headsculpts and the clothes. 3 years ago tbh I wouldn't have even started the hobby, such is the improvement in the heads now.

As for the damage in the photo. Would it bother me?.. a little. Would I want it replaced?... no. I have HT boxes and gaming/movie collector edition boxes with similar damage. You can spend your life getting annoyed about minor things, but as my ex worked (and still does) in the courier industry I just thank my lucky stars if a bit of corner damage is all my shipped items have to them.

I look at it this way. I was an 80's child with a reasonable size collection of G1 Transformers and Masters of the Universe, with a couple of Thundercats and DC Comics Superheros. (never bought any GI Joe or even Star Wars figures, but I digress)

Some of those are worth a lot of money in mint condition, especially if the boxes have never been opened. Do I regret actually having a childhood, no longer owning the boxes, having loose figures with missing stickers and loose limbs in a couple of shoe boxes in storage? (yes I still own them)... no.

As an adult, while Hot Toys are too expensive and I'm too old to "play" with them, I do get an immense sense of enjoyment looking at them. I consider them models more than I do action figures or dolls. I love the detail of the headsculpts and the clothes. 3 years ago tbh I wouldn't have even started the hobby, such is the improvement in the heads now.

As for the damage in the photo. Would it bother me?.. a little. Would I want it replaced?... no. I have HT boxes and gaming/movie collector edition boxes with similar damage. You can spend your life getting annoyed about minor things, but as my ex worked (and still does) in the courier industry I just thank my lucky stars if a bit of corner damage is all my shipped items have to them.

Are you still collecting TF's? Any masterpieces?

They are somehow the equivalent of a HT toy in TF form. We have a great transformers thread here in SSC, you should come over!

Are you still collecting TF's? Any masterpieces?

They are somehow the equivalent of a HT toy in TF form. We have a great transformers thread here in SSC, you should come over!

No, I just have my originals from the mid 80's... Prime, Constructicons, Blaster, Ramjet and a couple of individual combiners. For years I had the 'barcodes' with the stats on the back, but I must have thrown them out at some point. Now I just have the rather well worn and loose figures in a couple of shoe boxes. As an adult I couldn't bring myself to throw childhood toys out. I still have some Playmobil and Lego come to think of it. Some as complete kits, some all thrown in a big box like the very old (1979-81?) blue and grey space lego.

Hey TC,

Saying you're OCD about these things makes it difficult to come up with a suggestion. Unless you are actually clinically diagnosed with OCD then I wouldn't bother about the boxes, as they're designed to protect the contents and nothing more. If you do have OCD then I'd suggest getting the box replaced since it's a terrible illness to live with.

Please keep things civil and respectful towards each other, Freaks.

Are toys investments? No. Not IMO.

Do you make a profit, or at least make your money back, if you take care of them and everything associated with them (i.e. shipperobx, box & accessories)? In my experience the answer is "yes".

It should be common sense that if you properly maintain and take care of your possessions, regardless of whether it's toy or not, the chances of you making your money back or making a little profit go up.

Are there people that obsess over the condition of a shipper box? Sure there are.

Are those same people strange or weird? Not anymore than the rest of us in this hobby.

To many people outside of this hobby, adults who collect toys are "idiots" (for spending the money we do on them) and "weirdos" (in their eyes we collect "dolls" for Pete's sake!).

I would argue that toys could be investments. I don't buy them for that reason. I buy them because they make me happy. But I do get a lot of satisfaction out of a pristine box. They do such an amazing job with the packaging; they should take pride in shipping the figure to protect the box.

And by the way, forex is not an investment; it is pure speculative gambling. And buying a house is a place to live, not an investment. Ask anyone who bought a house in 2006 or 2007.

Calling someone "what's wrong with the world" because their opinion differs from yours isn't okay. We're all entitled to our own opinions and that was a pretty nasty comment.

I would argue that toys could be investments. I don't buy them for that reason. I buy them because they make me happy. But I do get a lot of satisfaction out of a pristine box. They do such an amazing job with the packaging; they should take pride in shipping the figure to protect the box.

And by the way, forex is not an investment; it is pure speculative gambling. And buying a house is a place to live, not an investment. Ask anyone who bought a house in 2006 or 2007.

Calling someone "what's wrong with the world" because their opinion differs from yours isn't okay. We're all entitled to our own opinions and that was a pretty nasty comment.

Housing(land specifically) is absolutely a great investment. Sub prime lending burst the housing bubble and wealthy investers swooped down and bought all that property at a discount and made a killing. If the box bothers that much request a replacement. I forgot enjoyment of an item is subjective and can extend to the packaging as well as the contents.

Please keep things civil and respectful towards each other, Freaks.

Are toys investments? No. Not IMO.

Do you make a profit, or at least make your money back, if you take care of them and everything associated with them (i.e. shipperobx, box & accessories)? In my experience the answer is "yes".

It should be common sense that if you properly maintain and take care of your possessions, regardless of whether it's toy or not, the chances of you making your money back or making a little profit go up.

Are there people that obsess over the condition of a shipper box? Sure there are.

Are those same people strange or weird? Not anymore than the rest of us in this hobby.

To many people outside of this hobby, adults who collect toys are "idiots" (for spending the money we do on them) and "weirdos" (in their eyes we collect "dolls" for Pete's sake!).

I think most of us take care of our items as best as we can(including box and shipper) and, of course, items are going to command a lower price without the box or with a dog chewed artbox but that wasn't the case here. The discussion was over a small dent that usually falls under the "normal" parameters of receiving these items in the mail and, in my experience, have a negligible affect on resale as opposed to a damaged of defective figure.

There is something to be said that sideshow seemed to have used a lesser quality shipper with this release. I am a SW collector so couldn't say if this is just marvel or a general change in materials.

I also think its a safe assumption that Sideshow "Collectibles" is selling something more than just a toy/figure (all assumptions on price aside).

It also is a standard practice to include all original materials when estimating the value of a collectible.

Therefore I don't think it is too OCD to request a replacement, given there was actual physical crush damage. It is the nature of the market and product, sideshow should know this. As a matter of fact releasing "exclusive" editions implies they are very well aware of their market. Thankfully their exclusives are actual items vs gold colored box or something.

If this were a 10-50 figure probably wouldn't bother, even at $240 if sideshow offered a replacement if you shipped yours back for $10 would you do it? That is probably what I would use as a test to request a replacement or not.

Back