Alita: Battle Angel

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stormare would have been good too.

None of it actually. I've only seen the 1993 cartoon. But after watching the movie last night I researched it because I assumed that all the stuff that wasn't in the original cartoon (Motorball and her entire backstory as an URM Berserker) was added for the movie. That's when I learned that those things are from the manga and are just elements that were introduced later.

I really liked how they were integrated in the movie (especially that flashback of Alita's team climbing the cable to Zalem with the massive ships crashing below them) but now I plan on picking up the manga collected editions to get more of the story.
I'm considering the same thing.

I had no idea there was an anime.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I'm considering the same thing.

I had no idea there was an anime.

You can watch the whole thing on YouTube (make sure subtitles are turned on obviously.) Two episodes totaling 55 minutes.

For those who haven't seen the movie beware because these spoil 90% of the film.

Pretty amazing how faithful they were to the source material.

You can watch the whole thing on YouTube (make sure subtitles are turned on obviously.) Two episodes totaling 55 minutes.

For those who haven't seen the movie beware because these spoil 90% of the film.

Pretty amazing how faithful they were to the source material.
Thanks, I'll check it out!

Patrick Wilson was good, but the rest of the movie was just average to me... I'm a DC fan too. There are plenty of movies I'm hyped for this year, but I expect Alita will still be my top film of the year.

Jai Courtney was actually badass in this! Haha, loved his character and the pitcrew scene - though he didn't have much screen time. Such a cool movie. And yeah, the Norton reveal was great.

How much does this need in order to make its money back? Has it passed that point yet?

How much does this need in order to make its money back? Has it passed that point yet?

Fox has said that Alita's breakeven point is between $350 and $400 million. It's at $45 million domestic, $149 million worldwide as of Tuesday.

I'm curious as to where it will fall domestically with other recent sci-fi flicks:

BR 2049: $92 million
Pacific Rim: $101 million
Pacific Rim Uprising: $59 million
Ghost in the Shell (2017): $40 million (which Alita has already passed)
Real Steel: $84 million
Terminator Genisys: $89 million
Fury Road: $154 million
Robocop (2014): $58 million
ALIEN Covenant: $74 million
Chappie: $31 million
Bumblebee: $126 million
The Predator: $51 million

I'm hoping for word of mouth to have a good effect, But honestly, I don't think it will help that much as there are too many big release films coming out. Dragons and captain marvel have got built in audiences that aren't going to suddenly switch to seeing Alita. This movie's future is heavily dependent on overseas box offices, mainly China and Japan.

I want this movie to succeed more so than any movie in recent memory, I feel like it had the same audience and appeal as Ready Player One did, but even having Spielberg's name on it, it still underperformed. I think Alita, like RPO, will only grow in popularity over time, but nowadays you really need to make your mark on the box office in the first week.

I'm hoping for word of mouth to have a good effect, But honestly, I don't think it will help that much as there are too many big release films coming out. Dragons and captain marvel have got built in audiences that aren't going to suddenly switch to seeing Alita. This movie's future is heavily dependent on overseas box offices, mainly China and Japan.

I want this movie to succeed more so than any movie in recent memory, I feel like it had the same audience and appeal as Ready Player One did, but even having Spielberg's name on it, it still underperformed. I think Alita, like RPO, will only grow in popularity over time, but nowadays you really need to make your mark on the box office in the first week.

It's no longer just about the domestic box-office...our sequel chances rest on how it does in China and Japan.

I'm hearing rave reviews about Alita's Dolby laser 3D presentation and I've got a local theater that will be showing it in that format all next week as well so I think I just might have to catch it a third time. I went with 3D IMAX the first two viewings for the expanded aspect ratio (which I hope to God they preserve for the home release) but have to see for myself if that Dolby laser is just as good or better. So happy to be in the first wave of supporters of this film. Whether it breaks even or not I think that this is going to be a flick that really gains a solid cult following in the years ahead.

I just saw an interview where Cameron himself said that the real reason they switched the title from Battle Angel Alita to Alita: Battle Angel is so that they can keep Alita as the primary title and then do Alita: Fallen Angel, Alita: Avenging Angel, etc., in the event that they are able to continue the story on the big screen. Man I'd be so down for more of this universe in live-action.

I'm hearing rave reviews about Alita's Dolby laser 3D presentation and I've got a local theater that will be showing it in that format all next week as well so I think I just might have to catch it a third time. I went with 3D IMAX the first two viewings for the expanded aspect ratio (which I hope to God they preserve for the home release) but have to see for myself if that Dolby laser is just as good or better. So happy to be in the first wave of supporters of this film. Whether it breaks even or not I think that this is going to be a flick that really gains a solid cult following in the years ahead.

I just saw an interview where Cameron himself said that the real reason they switched the title from Battle Angel Alita to Alita: Battle Angel is so that they can keep Alita as the primary title and then do Alita: Fallen Angel, Alita: Avenging Angel, etc., in the event that they are able to continue the story on the big screen. Man I'd be so down for more of this universe in live-action.
I'm jealous, wish they had that around here!

Taking a buddy next week, hope it holds up on 2nd viewing.

I haven't been this excited over a movie in a long time.

I'd like to see it in IMAX, but there are only 3D showings here, not regular. I avoid going to 3D films because I wear glasses, and the theater lenses make my eyes hurt.

I'm curious as to where it will fall domestically with other recent sci-fi flicks:

Notice please, Fury Road is most successful film of this group. Notice please.

Fox has said that Alita's breakeven point is between $350 and $400 million. It's at $45 million domestic, $149 million worldwide as of Tuesday.

How is that possible it's budget was 200m and with kickbacks ended up costing 180m. Has to make over around the 500m mark to break even.

Back