Airbrushing

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rebelpig

Super Freak
Reaction score
Hi Guys Been thinking of getting an airbrush for a while now. Finding the constraints of 'traditional' brush work limiting. Want to get smoother finishes. I've used airbrushes before but only for art work.
So I need advice on what to get, What is the best type of Airbrush for 1/6 work, fine detail, use with acrylics?
All advice will be appreciated, especially info on the best make/models. Thanks!!

I've also been wondering this for about a year.

I've narrowed it down to an Iwata HP CS or a Badger Velocity. The Badger does finer lines and is slightly cheaper. The Iwata, so I've heard, handles thicker paint well (like acrylics) and can spray slightly larger areas than the Badger.

I guess replacement parts for the Badger are cheaper.

You can get a cheap compressor from the hardware store (a good one would have a storage tank so the compressor doesn't have to run constantly as they are somewhat loud).

Any advice on these two brushes, or any other recommendations, would be higher appreciated.

Sean

I've also been wondering this for about a year.

I've narrowed it down to an Iwata HP CS or a Badger Velocity. The Badger does finer lines and is slightly cheaper. The Iwata, so I've heard, handles thicker paint well (like acrylics) and can spray slightly larger areas than the Badger.

I guess replacement parts for the Badger are cheaper.

You can get a cheap compressor from the hardware store (a good one would have a storage tank so the compressor doesn't have to run constantly as they are somewhat loud).

Any advice on these two brushes, or any other recommendations, would be higher appreciated.

Sean

I use a Iwata hp cs and love it it is a dual airbrush and gives you a lot of control over what you are painting. I never used the Badger but highly recommend the iwata.

I use a Iwata hp cs and love it it is a dual airbrush and gives you a lot of control over what you are painting. I never used the Badger but highly recommend the iwata.

Any experience with the Iwata HP C Plus? Any idea how it differs from the CS?

Sean

I use an Aztek A7778, Really easy to use & fast. Perfect for this hobby.

Same as the Testors.

May sound silly, but this baby cleans up super easy with windshield wiper fluid. The acrylic just beaks up so easy. A joy to use.

If not your thing, go with the Badger Sotar 20/20

Tried most types & love the Aztek/Testors the most for ease of use. Anything that needs a super fine line I can still do or use a chalk pastel application.

Hope this helps a little

Difference between the HP-CS and C plus is, the CS has the adjustable air regulation on the brush. I love that feature as it keeps me from heading to the compressor to change the air pressure for different techniques or paint viscosity.

I been ABing for a long time and just picked up a cheap brush from Harbor Freight for 14.99 and it works great. I would have to say its as good as the ones i have spent 100s on. The key is the paint you can't just pour your regular paint into the cup and expect it to work perfect. I use Iwata AB paint they even have a flesh tones set.

Back