airbrush paint help?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FAL5E

Freaked Out
Reaction score
i just got the other day a paasche airbrush. i do not have paint yet for it. is there such thing as acrylic airbrush paint? if not what kind of paint should i be using on 1/6 figures. i saw some paints in the store the other day that said transparent, not sure what i'd use that for so i'd assume i want opaque? really confused so any help would be appreciated.

i just water down acrylic paints or dilute with a little thiner and they spray fine.

i just water down acrylic paints or dilute with a little thiner and they spray fine.

so i can buy regular cheap acrylic paint and dilute it with paint thiner? can i use water instead? if so how much like 50/50 and it won't clog the airbrush?

can those be used even if it doesn't say acrylic paint?

They are all acrylic, unless otherwise stated. Acrylic is the most common airbrush paint. I wouldn't have posted them if they were not acrylic, per your request in the OP.

ive used the cheap wal mart acrylic paint before. it works ok... can be a little chalky. the water/ paint ratio isnt 50/50, probably more like 80/20 paint to water. too much water will make the paint runny and too little water wont allow the paint to shoot. i just eyeball it:peace

I use revel acrylic paints from small pots, which is pretty expensive. I would say dont use thick acrylics that are designed for canvas, like the ones that come in toothpaste tubes, its just to weak in pigment and will take 5 layers to make the colour, even if you under water it.

Most airbrushes suggest the paint is "consistency of milk", though there is quite an art to getting the best from your airbrush, and it almost entirly is down to paint consitency. I would say startt with minimal water, and go as thick as you can without it drying in the nozzel. personally i just use water to dilute, does fine.

Really just practice loads, make sure you always trial on paper before spraying the actual thing.
good luck

Just a suggestion, go for quality. Freak Flex, Freestyle for ready to paint or my personal preference, Liquitex thinned down to above recommendations. Dark Lord is dead right.

ps, use windshield wiper fluid to clean. It's cheap & works beautifully

Back