Advice on lighting

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There probably is a UK forums with lighting somewhere. I just don't know where to look. I am totally useless at finding the words google search likes.

I'm at a loss on what to do. I am unsure if I am expecting to much for my budget or I'm simply very bad at searches.
I have tried a few things like LED Strips in feebay UK and all I get is 5m lengths or exposed smaller strips.

Think I may have to give my little brother a call and get him to price up a fitted system from him.

Thanks again Geil.

Bump. I am still lost on what to do for lighting. I would really appreciate a UK member to help guide me to some affordable lighting.

I have given feebay UK a good look, for searches under LED lighting strip the mass majority are over 5m in length. ATM I am thinking that 4 separate strips at no more than 14 inches in length each are the best bet.

Again, this is an assumption. I would really like someone to give opinions on different styles,links to UK available lighting and if possible some pictures showing what different applications and products could give me.

Having a Ikea Deltof full of figures is really begging for some appropriate lighting to show them all off. I am now sourcing little pieces to finish each figure off. Items such as Clone buckets for a sith, skulls for predators etc - I just feel that the Christmas tree lights I have in currently are not giving the pieces any justice.

something that may help you... I found cheap lighting options for computer case mods and they come in all colors and shapes and is quite common. Now that bad part is that if you get about the same length of lights it will end up costing just the same as the Ikea dioders :p

Thats the way its looking ATM. All alternatives are out-pricing themselves against the IKEA's.

Argh, I should just give up but I want to show the case of even if its just for me.

Can a UK poster please post something in the way of lighting ?. As previously mentioned, this does seem like a quiet area. Thankfully I have had the good company of Geil but a UK user would be helpful to link available products.

Even if its to promote the IKEA set again, if I could get a picture to show them of it would help.

check out vodoun in the DC section.... he is in the UK and has custom shelves now but everyone has owned a detolf at one point :) he should also have a thread here somewhere. worse case I think I will finally have time this weekend to finalize at least one of my detolfs with ikea lighting. he might also be using custom lighting now ;)
as for picture of detolf with dioder light this other thread next door just had it :)
https://sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3144577&postcount=61

hey cloud warrior

heres some pics of my detolf being lit with the dioders from ikea.

iam pretty happy, especially if you have two side by side....more than enough light.

youll be happy...

hey geil loook at the canadians coming to the rescue!!

yes :lol they do say we are friendly :D
btw those the puck style dioders, great example

just added one per shelf....even the light stripe ones like yours are amazing...i was thinking of doing those on detolf number 2 soon to come.

Thanks as always for the posts everyone. Glad to get pictures of the IKEA lights in action. I tell no lie, I was picking every other thread looking for both the IKEA cases with the matching lights and I had no luck after 10+ pages. :(

Seeing both the pucks and strips in action I am at a tie between which version is better. IMO the strips offer more coverage which I would like due to details in a few figures being high. But the pucks seem to light the area more.

If I can find the strips cheap I will get them. £40 is still a little high for me as I could just get another case for that price. Adding to the fact delivery/fuel costs and its another headache.

If only I could find strips like the IKEAs on feebay UK. All seem to have such little wire between each strip. 10cm in most cases.

Well atleast I finally know now that down the line if I never find any to my current budget I can rely on the IKEA sets being good.

I have no idea about electrics etc but ..

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190477724305&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Could I buy this set of LED strip lights which has 10cm of cable between each strip, cut the middle of each connecting wire and then lengthen it with appropriate electrical cable ?. It would only be a job where I would cut the connecting cable in the middle, strip it a little and then twist the exposed ends to new cabling and then tape it up.
It would probably look bad and not be the best or safest looking thing but I am sure with enough tape I could make it look semi presentable.

I really don't have any clue about electricals other than how to fit a plug. The above works in my mind but I was unsure if it was actually possible/safe. I wouldn't know what cable to use to extend the connection points either.

Another point about the LEDs. From what I have seen they can be very bright. Would the strips at 25cm long, 9 bulbs in each and the power be enough to light a case well ?. This is another thing I know nothing of. I don't understand what I should be looking for.

I really should sort out going back to school or something. I know so little about things like this and its getting rather bad having to ask constantly. It would be easier if I could do a successfully search and understand this new random information given but its like learning how to speak another language backwards.

have you tried youtube for advice on electrical info?

I used it to help me add a USB cord to my MK IV LED stand and an external power source to my tumbler.

Youtube is great because there is literally a million how-to videos

have you tried youtube for advice on electrical info?

I used it to help me add a USB cord to my MK IV LED stand and an external power source to my tumbler.

Youtube is great because there is literally a million how-to videos

Like google searches - anyone can make a video. I was a little afraid of getting a guide up that was well presented but simply didn't work and ending up destroying the item to mod.

I was thinking of asking down the line if it was possible to add a wire to IM MK IV and WM to have all the lights power from a plug or bank of battery's. Hate the idea of having 4 switches on each figure and the battery's life. Don't want to totaly take each apart but if I could add a wire to connect each LED and have it almost come out of the back I'm game. I'm still reluctant to MOD any figure due to value.
If they could all be attached to a plug/battery bank and all turn on at once I would be very happy.

LED strips most important ATM though. Will chance a look at youtube and hope that 1) my specific area is covered and 2) its in UK/EURO standards.

Me again.

I'm fairly set on getting these lights and attempting to extend the cable between each strip. Just not sure on the power side of it. Will it be powerful enough to light a Deltof well ?.

Back to the PVC tubing for holding in the Xmas lights and to "seal" the ends of the glass door. Would 8mm PVC hose be good enough to both wrap around the Deltof's internal metal bars with the thin Xmas tree cable in and also would the hose be good to cut and attach at the length of the door ?.

Still not bought anything :(.

What about Ikea Dioders - white V multicoloured ?. Are the multis any good set as white ?. If they could give a good white colour but give the option to set as another depending on mood it would be a plus.

I just want some lights to light my deltof nice and brightly.

I have seen the multis as white and they are nowhere near as bright as the dedicated white dioders. Also the white you get don't look white in some of the pictures I have seen..... if I could only remember which thread or even section I saw it :p Might have been Terminator related?

Ah I expected as much. Looking into possibly getting a set of white/colour Ikea Dioders for about £25, a good saving from the Ikea price of £40. If they are that far off white and less bright the normals become the only option.

Just waiting for confirmation on if they are official and the 4 LED strip set now.
Thanks again Geil. Always there to help and always a pleasure to have a little peek at your collection. A treasure trove to aim for if any.

I just wish I would offer my own pictures but I just cant get off my lazy ars to setup my lights :p but i checked the lights at ikea. I did decide to get a set of multicolors for my Terminator setup eventually

Back