Advice Needed - Where/How To Sell Off Collectibles?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also ... any advice about international sales? I'm in the states, so selling/shipping/taxing here is pretty straight forward. What are the pitfalls there?

Should I limit sales to "US buyers only"?

I'll only use USPS to ship internationally, nothing wrong with UPS & FedEx but USPS is always less expensive. There is more paperwork involved, and as already stated, the more you add the more it'll cost. But you do not have to add all of that, unless you feel the need to or the buyer wan't it, in which case you make them pay for it. And if they want the contents listed as something else with a different value, make sure you have that in writing first. Otherwise list is as is with full amount and they can deal with taxes/duties when received. There is also an info page on USPS website with shipping restrictions to various destinations.

You can also use USPS flat rate envelopes/boxes where applicable, it's pretty handy and I believe they come with tracking #'s.
Once you do this enough times, it's gets easier...and you can always ask the clerk at the counter.

making sure to obsessively photograph, document, track and insure everything.

(Man, locating and pulling all the boxes from storage, making sure all the bits and bobs are accounted for, photographing, and just organizing all of this generally is going to be a pile of work! Here's hoping it's worth it!)

I wouldn't go overboard. Keep in mind what your time is worth. I spent a whole Saturday, photographing individual comic books to set them up as lots, and after 3 weeks only sold about $30 worth. So that wasn't even worth my time. Of course, comic books literally aren't worth the paper they're printed on these days, but just don't knock yourself out trying to make things error proof. I'm a photographer by trade, so my photos tend to be better than throwing it in the corner and snapping a pic, but I kinda get the impression that my photos are "too good" and buyers don't trust them. I had a guy message me the other day and asked me to send him photos of "my" figure and I told him that they were, and he said he thought they were the production photos.

I had another guy, I was selling a loose Slave I Action Fleet, the pictures indicated as such, but I had duplicated an older listing that had the condition as New, so despite the fact that I had three 1600 x 1600 pixel images clearly showing a bunch of loose items, and I typed into my description, "Listing is for the items as pictured" he expected to receive new, packaged items because of one tiny mistake I made in the listing. He ended up filing a claim on me. I felt it was pretty clear, but he was like "a picture doesn't mean anything, you need to stand behind your listing" . . . eBay thunked me, gave him his refund, plus took money out of my account to cover his return shipping (I shipped it to him for $4 USPS First Class, they deducted $11 for UPS Ground. . . feckin' crooks). Those are the types of stories people talk about as far as "horror stories". . . if a buyer wants to screw you, they'll screw you, and pictures aren't going to change that.

The worst part of eBay is the people that just message you to ask questions and don't buy. They'll want to make a deal, or ask you to hold it until they get paid in two weeks, or want more pictures. . . just generally things that waste your time.

For 99.9% of my buyers, they'll never send me a message before they buy, confirming anything. The ones that ask questions before, those are the ones you worry about.

Also ... any advice about international sales? I'm in the states, so selling/shipping/taxing here is pretty straight forward. What are the pitfalls there?

Should I limit sales to "US buyers only"?

On eBay, in the International shipping section of your listing, set it to use the "Global Shipping Center" or whatever it's called. Then you'll send the item to eBay's hub in Kentucky, and eBay will ship it to the international destination. You don't deal with the customs stuff at all, and eBay takes the hit if it never shows up. There are pitfalls for the buyer though as eBay will follow the rules and declare it at the full value and as whatever the item is. Most international buyers will insist that you declare as a gift at less than $30, but **** 'em, right?? It covers your ass as a seller.

FWIW, I really don't even bother listing my stuff here. As you mentioned before, most everyone on these forums already have what you have, and if they don't, they want a deal. And for most of this stuff, I'm not willing to take a loss on it, I'd rather hang on to it.

For my items, I just figure a flat shipping price into the cost of the item, plus 10% fees and list it up with free shipping. If you can manage it, set your handling time to within 2 days and you'll get the "Fast N Free" tag which will help you in the search results. Ship via USPS and you can schedule free pick-ups on their website. So, it makes it much easier to ship things out without having to drive somewhere to drop it off.

If it hasn't sold in a few weeks, I drop the price and add in a shipping rate, so it ends up being the same price. Some people like the $200 free shipping, some prefer $180 plus $20 shipping, it is what it is.

You get 20 free listings per month on eBay, so don't be afraid to get greedy. It's better to start high and lower it if it doesn't sell. Some of Sideshow's old Star Wars stuff is doing pretty well, I sold my Yoda for about 2.5x the retail price a few weeks ago. But I can't sell my modded ANH Vader for the cost of the parts I've put into it, so it's just really bizarre what the market is doing. People on this forum talk about how awful HT's stuff is and how much better SSC's is, but the buyers out there, or lack thereof, don't really reflect that.

Last edited:
On eBay, in the International shipping section of your listing, set it to use the "Global Shipping Center" or whatever it's called. Then you'll send the item to eBay's hub in Kentucky, and eBay will ship it to the international destination. You don't deal with the customs stuff at all, and eBay takes the hit if it never shows up. There are pitfalls for the buyer though as eBay will follow the rules and declare it at the full value and as whatever the item is. Most international buyers will insist that you declare as a gift at less than $30, but **** 'em, right?? It covers your ass as a seller.

Check out this regarding Global Shipping Program:

https://www.bostonglobe.com/busines...ng-overseas/8ZEVe3C8nCZbTIqZv1N1fM/story.html

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Shipping-Returns/Global-shipping-program-problems/td-p/17580131

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selli...hipping-program-need-help-please/td-p/2742462

My first Global Shipping Program Problem : Ebay

Do Sellers Like the New eBay Global Shipping Program?

Personally I would never buy anything sent through this Global Shipping Program crap. They will unpack your carefully packed items, and then repack them on their own to save weight. It could be ok for a $10 Hasbro action figure, but wouldn't want that for a high end item.

Personally I would never buy anything sent through this Global Shipping Program crap. They will unpack your carefully packed items, and then repack them on their own to save weight. It could be ok for a $10 Hasbro action figure, but wouldn't want that for a high end item.

The only thing that matters is that, as a seller, I am protected. I used to ship international packages via First Class, and the amount of damaged or not arrived claims was just not acceptable. So, I started shipping via Priority Flat Rate, a bit better but still had "not received" claims. I was still losing money and items. So, I just started using GSP and like magic, no more claims.

The first few months I had negative feedback from buyers claiming high fees, but I just had eBay remove them.

Check out this regarding Global Shipping Program:

https://www.bostonglobe.com/busines...ng-overseas/8ZEVe3C8nCZbTIqZv1N1fM/story.html

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Shipping-Returns/Global-shipping-program-problems/td-p/17580131

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selli...hipping-program-need-help-please/td-p/2742462

My first Global Shipping Program Problem : Ebay

Do Sellers Like the New eBay Global Shipping Program?

I have seen that video referenced several times when eBay's Global shipping service is referenced on forums..and it's a great conspiracy theory.

However from personal experience, I think the dude either got shafted with poor packaging from the seller, which disintegrated in transit (and the item was then re-packed poorly).. or he just got unlucky and the parcel simply got trashed by one of the couriers in transit.

I have had a number of items (more than 10) shipped using the Ebay international all inclusive service from the USA to the UK..and I have never seen any evidence of the repackaging to save weight, that this guy claims is standard procedure.

I usually only sell through the forum, but I have put things on eBay a few times as well, no horror stories here.

Devil's advocate though, I wouldn't knock posting in Facebook groups targeted toward your key demographics as well - toy collectors, statue collectors, maybe fans of the properties (Batman, etc), Hot Toys collectors. There's groups for just about everything. Yeah, a lot overlap, but not always.

The only one I can think of is One Sixth Revolution, but I bet there's a bunch out there you can join if you look.

There's also (I hate to say it) other forums out there as well. For example, I'm a big Star Trek fan, and there's forums dedicated specifically to Star Trek toys/Collectibles. Probably ones out there for Batman too, etc.

Really getting some fantastic responses here, guys! Thank you so much! Very thoughtful and detailed stuff! Feel free to keep the conversation going. As a loooooong time collector but newbie seller, this is invaluable.

Well, I'm taking the plunge. Just bought a Premium Membership here and I'll be listing the first item or two on eBay this weekend. Gonna dip a toe in and see how it goes. Wish me luck!

Now comes the hard part ... digging through our packed storage unit to find all the empty boxes to match up to the dozens of figures and statues I plan to sell off. My Nolan Batman detolfs (detolves?:lol) are about to get very empty!

^^ Be strong, :lol Especially when it comes to potential overly **** collectors/buyers.

You'll feel great once you're through, fewer material possessions and $ in your pocket with a fresh perspective.

That's exactly what I'm hoping for!

Thanks, man!
Yes, there are some nutty people out there so just make sure and cover yourself at all costs and describe them carefully. If you can check out the buyers "left" feedback and if you see a lot of negs and neutrals run. I just had someone want to buy my Endoskull, but passed as they had too many frivolous bad feedbacks left and knew they were nothing but trouble. If you are selling international don't ship anything over $750(total payment w/ship) unless you use the global system, otherwise you are not covered by paypal. Personally I don't use the GSP, I prefer to do it myself and it usually costs buyers less in the end and I know the stuff it well packed all the way there. Good luck!

Also, I use shipsurance or upic for insuring packages, I never use the carriers own anymore, they are higher cost and much harder to deal with.

Yes, there are some nutty people out there so just make sure and cover yourself at all costs and describe them carefully. If you can check out the buyers "left" feedback and if you see a lot of negs and neutrals run. I just had someone want to buy my Endoskull, but passed as they had too many frivolous bad feedbacks left and knew they were nothing but trouble.

That's a good tip, but don't you run the risk of angering them further by canceling their purchase?? I guess the worst they can do is leave negative feedback, which is not as bad as any further trouble.

That's a good tip, but don't you run the risk of angering them further by canceling their purchase?? I guess the worst they can do is leave negative feedback, which is not as bad as any further trouble.
True, but unless you bow to their every whim you are getting one anyway plus you risk losing your item or at least having to give a partial refund in addition to the neg/neut feedback. If the buyer is asking questions or doing a "best offer" where you can check them out more before you get entangled are your best bet. The endless question askers seem to be the worst, people that buy and pay with no contact usually never gripe unless something terrible happens. I imagine the trouble buyers want to prey on the weak, so make your ad look like you know what you are doing and you should be ok.

Just got done once again selling all my collectibles via ebay. No issues and everything went smoothly.
I only do fully insured for the correct value, fully tracked and signature on delivery.

I am a 600 feedback ebayer. Recently sold a collection I had . Over 3000.00 worth. Only had 1 return and that went smoothly. If you sell on ebay make a few rules .
1. No bidding unless you have >10 plus feedback.
2. No international(almost all crap comes from out of country)
3. Paypal only.
Expect to sell a few things below your desired value to get your rating up , then use a higher minimum bid and a even higher Buy it Now. Be prepared towait for what you want to get.
PM me for more advice if you need it.

I am a 600 feedback ebayer. Recently sold a collection I had . Over 3000.00 worth. Only had 1 return and that went smoothly. If you sell on ebay make a few rules .
1. No bidding unless you have >10 plus feedback.
2. No international(almost all crap comes from out of country)
3. Paypal only.
Expect to sell a few things below your desired value to get your rating up , then use a higher minimum bid and a even higher Buy it Now. Be prepared towait for what you want to get.
PM me for more advice if you need it.
You can't stop under 10 feedback people from buying(only -1 or lower as I recall), you can decline to sell to them, but be prepared for a negative. Plenty of international people are fine, just don't sell big dollar items to oddball countries and you should be fine. Paypal IMO is part of the problem with all the scams, I would much rather take a postal money order like the old days, but that is not realistic anymore and until a contender comes along we have to live with PP.

You can't stop under 10 feedback people from buying(only -1 or lower as I recall), you can decline to sell to them, but be prepared for a negative. Plenty of international people are fine, just don't sell big dollar items to oddball countries and you should be fine. Paypal IMO is part of the problem with all the scams, I would much rather take a postal money order like the old days, but that is not realistic anymore and until a contender comes along we have to live with PP.

No you cannot stop ANY bidder from leaving negative feeedback , but I will be damned before I sell a 1000.00 item to a no feedback bidder from Ethipoia......

Recently I took a chance selling a one of a kind vintage item to a no feedback buyer. I emailed him after the win and told him without direct email contact before the sale I would cancel the bid. He emailed everything went fine.

As a seller you can still refuse a sale. I could care less about negative feedback for ebay rules if it could cost me hundreds......
So far so good, but I have had load of email from people wanting to buy items outside the ebay auction. this is a big red flag! RUN AWAY!

No you cannot stop ANY bidder from leaving negative feeedback , but I will be damned before I sell a 1000.00 item to a no feedback bidder from Ethipoia......

Recently I took a chance selling a one of a kind vintage item to a no feedback buyer. I emailed him after the win and told him without direct email contact before the sale I would cancel the bid. He emailed everything went fine.

As a seller you can still refuse a sale. I could care less about negative feedback for ebay rules if it could cost me hundreds......
So far so good, but I have had load of email from people wanting to buy items outside the ebay auction. this is a big red flag! RUN AWAY!
Well, there is a way to at least have it removed as long as you can adjust the invoice before they pay. If you jack up the shipping cost to a large amount they won't pay then you just open a NPB case and ebay will wipe the feedback when the case closes. Also, you can block certain countries so they can't bid. I block quite a few of them(mostly where insurance won't cover shipment to, that is a pretty good guide).

You don't want a negative if you can avoid it. It costs you buyers in the future and can affect your status on eBay if you sell more than a few items. People buying outside eBay is not a red flag if they have decent feedback, that used to be SOP back in the early days. Usually not worth the hassle avoiding the eBay safeguards, but if it is a high priced item it can save quite a bit.

Well, there is a way to at least have it removed as long as you can adjust the invoice before they pay. If you jack up the shipping cost to a large amount they won't pay then you just open a NPB case and ebay will wipe the feedback when the case closes. Also, you can block certain countries so they can't bid. I block quite a few of them(mostly where insurance won't cover shipment to, that is a pretty good guide).

You don't want a negative if you can avoid it. It costs you buyers in the future and can affect your status on eBay if you sell more than a few items. People buying outside eBay is not a red flag if they have decent feedback, that used to be SOP back in the early days. Usually not worth the hassle avoiding the eBay safeguards, but if it is a high priced item it can save quite a bit.

HA nice trick and I agree with you for the most part.

Things are moving along at last! Made some tough choices on the initial round of sale items ... spent an entire weekend in our storage unit locating and unearthing the various empty boxes ... and cataloged everything (so far) on a spreadsheet. Over the next week or so, I'll dust everything off, snap some pictures and pack them all lovingly back in their boxes.

And hopefully by next week I can start listing. (Yup, I'm gonna start with eBay initially.)

I can't thank you guys enough for all your help and advice in this. Thanks again! :duff

One more question ... What, in your experience, do you think is the optimal auction length? A week seems too short, but four seems too long. What's the sweet spot? Two?

Also ... second dumb question ... do you have any go-to suppliers you like for boxes and packing materials? For most of the HT figures, it not a problem, but I do have one heavy polystone piece on the block at the moment (the 1/6 Han in Carbonite), and I'm nervous about shipping that one. It's over 20 pounds and big. (I no longer have the brown shipper.) Are there heavier duty boxes I should be looking for?

Back