advice for a beginner

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Mighty Tom

Just a little freaky
Reaction score
ok, technically i've been customizing for just over a year now but just 6-7in customs and i kinda want to start doing 1/6 customs but i could really do with some advice.

i need advice/tips/tutorial on painting a casted resin head and the sort of paints to use, i wasn't sure if i could use the same paint i use now which is vallejo game color.

also is there any good places to get civilian type clothes/accessories/weapons etc?

i could also use a list of bodies and there heights, i know a dragon body is better suited for making a person who's under 6 feet.

i know this is probably a lot to ask but we've all got to start somewhere so any help would be much appreciated

As far as painting Vallejo colors aren't that bad, but if you want more realistic flesh tones, a nice acrylic paint is Liquitex. You can mix them to the desired shade, plus they are relatively inexpensive and a re available at most craft and art stores.
Let me know if you need recipies, I'll be happy to help.
Using different techniques and flesh recipies you can achieve some pretty decent results.
385526444.jpg

Best,
John

Last edited:
As far as painting Vallejo colors aren't that bad, but if you want more realistic flesh tones, a nice acrylic paint is Liquitex. You can mix them to the desired shade, plus they are relatively inexpensive and a re available at most craft and art stores.
Using different techniques and flesh recipies you can achieve some pretty decent results.
385526444.jpg

Best,
John

if you could do a tutorial/recipies for me that would be a big help.

385526444.jpg

Best,
John

John, I'd be so grateful if you could help me out with that too!

My recipe for caucasian flesh is Raw Umber, Raw Sienna, Burnt Sienna, Titanium White, Cadmium Blue.
I mix the Raw Sienna and Burnt Sienna together first, I then add the white until I get a shade that is a bit lighter than I ultimately want. Finally I add the Raw Umber, and a touch of blue.
There are other recipies out there that will give similar results, but this is the one that I've been using for years, and works best for me.
Finally practice, practice, practice. As much as some people would want you to think, this isn't hard.
I wish more people would try it. It's fun and the more you do it the more enjoyable and easier it gets.
Let me know if I can help with anything else.
Best,
John

My recipe for caucasian flesh is Raw Umber, Raw Sienna, Burnt Sienna, Titanium White, Cadmium Blue.
I mix the Raw Sienna and Burnt Sienna together first, I then add the white until I get a shade that is a bit lighter than I ultimately want. Finally I add the Raw Umber, and a touch of blue.
There are other recipies out there that will give similar results, but this is the one that I've been using for years, and works best for me.
Finally practice, practice, practice. As much as some people would want you to think, this isn't hard.
I wish more people would try it. It's fun and the more you do it the more enjoyable and easier it gets.
Let me know if I can help with anything else.
Best,
John

Thanks for this. I've been collecting recipies like this for a couple months in anticipation of taking a crack at painting, myself. How do you do 5 o'clock shadow and the lips? Thanks.

Thanks for this. I've been collecting recipies like this for a couple months in anticipation of taking a crack at painting, myself. How do you do 5 o'clock shadow and the lips? Thanks.
I use a mix of pastels and paint for the beard. There are other tricks such as colored pencils. Of course this would need to be sealed.
I think lips along with eyes are two of the things that can make or break a paint job.
Lips have a large number of blood vessels in them hence the red color. So i like to start off with my flesh tint then add red until I have the desired shade. Depending on the subject I may add some brown or even some more blue.
Good Luck.
Best,
John

This thread is good. Hey boot what type of Liquitex paint do you use the tube or bottle?

Anyone have any advice on what to buy for Sewing 1/6th clothes? Is there any needle sizes that work great? Ones to avoid?

I hope everybody appreciates how generous it is of boot to share these tips! Try getting a free basketball lesson from Lebron James. Thanks, boot!

Boot, I am really such a big fan of yours. Thank you for sharing your recipes. They are golden!

Have you considered intrinsically coloring the urethane to get a base color? Most urethane suppliers have a line of compatible colors, including flesh tones (i.e. BJB) for urethanes....

Back