Adam Beane's Sculpting Tutorial DVD and New Sculpting Material

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grosby

Super Freak
Reaction score
I'm not quite sure if this is the right section but I think it fits.

Adam Beane is a professional sculptor - his website is adambeane.com. I find him impressive, particularly the textures he achieves. I saw on his website long ago, maybe a year past now, that he was planning to one day release how-to videos as well as start offering CX5, a unique sculpting material that he himself developed and solely works with (described as "handling like clay when warm, but is as hard as plastic when it is cool"). I signed up for his mailing list to be notified of when this would be and today I finally received news of this, which I thought some here might be interested in.

He has a Kickstarter project which is to fund the first of a series of instructional DVDs. If you pledge at least $25 to his Kickstarter project you get a copy of the DVD (which he plans to sell later for $40, it looks, so you save by pledging now). You can find all the details here:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/adambeane/adam-beanes-amazing-sculpture-videos

In addition to the DVD, he's also including samples of CX5 if you pledge at least $50. How big or small a sample though, I don't know. I don't think he's selling CX5 elsewhere at this point though, it seems this is the only way he's offering it right now.

c4gMVEqH.jpg

MOHrQSTW.jpg

I just saw too that there's a video of him sculpting on YouTube, if anyone cares to see. It's been up since January but I hadn't seen it before:

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/8zYkiEOrnKs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
Awesome stuff. Thanks for the heads-up. That cx-5 looks like a dream material too. I'm really getting fed up trying to balance a polymer/wax workflow!

Thanks for sharing, I'll check it out. Always wanted to learn how to sculpt. :wave

What are supposed to do? send a donation or something?

You sign up for kickstarter.com and donate through there. I'm not sure of the exact details though as I've never used that site before.

I made a mistake in my post before, too - you have to donate at least $50 to get a CX5 sample. I previously said it took just $25.

I'm thinking about donating. I'll decide within the next couple of days.

I sent him a question just now about the size of the CX5 sample and when he expects to send the DVD out, I'll post the details here once he answers.

I don't think you are actually donating right now, but pledging that once the $10.000 mark is reached, kickstarter will charge all the cards for the amount you have chosen. You are actually donating later anyways, but not right now, so it sounds like a good deal.

____ me, the christian bale/john connor in the video is just mindblowing

He replied to my message. The DVD he's offering is the one he's seeking funding for and so it hasn't been made yet. He expects though that the DVD will be ready to ship in two months (from the date that the Kickstarter project ends, I presume).

The CX5 sample will probably be a 1/4 lb block but he says it may be more. He also says CX5 is lighter than other materials and so going by weight is not best, saying: "1/4 lb is enough to do a 1/6th scale bust. Or a 1/4 scale portrait. (a 12" muscly guy might be 1lb) These are estimates, but should be pretty close."

These are details that I don't think he has on the front page, just what he told me in reply to my message, and so you should perhaps keep that in mind if you're thinking of donating. If you want further details, you can message him on the site, he seems very nice and helpful.

I just now made a pledge, enough for both the DVD and CX5 sample. I never thought I would donate to a Kickstarter project or anything like that but this whole deal seems pretty reasonable. I'd be happy to put down the same amount to just buy the incentives - the DVD and sample - in a store, I think that's mainly what sells it for me...

Last edited:
I just thought I should post to let people know that the $10,000 goal has almost been reached ($9,446 at this time), in case anyone was considering signing up for it. What happens after the goal has been reached, whether you can still pledge to get the DVD at that price, I don't know.

I'm very excited about this whole series, I tell you. Is anyone else so excited? There seems to me a real lacking in decent tutorials in this type of work and scale and I'm hoping this series changes that, from the previews it looks like it will.

I just thought I should post to let people know that the $10,000 goal has almost been reached ($9,446 at this time), in case anyone was considering signing up for it. What happens after the goal has been reached, whether you can still pledge to get the DVD at that price, I don't know.

I'm very excited about this whole series, I tell you. Is anyone else so excited? There seems to me a real lacking in decent tutorials in this type of work and scale and I'm hoping this series changes that, from the previews it looks like it will.

As he is trying to fund videos #2 & #3 as well, the $10k is just for video #1 he states, I imagine it will continue to grow.

Well, it is actually happening, almost $10.000 AND there is a TON of days left. I wish I could afford the private class tho' .

Back