Action Man Kitbash Project: Captain Sensible (The Damned)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darrenwells

Just a little freaky
Reaction score
This will be my first attempt at creating (kitbash) and thought I'd create a thread for the whole process.

I will be creating a 1/6 scale figure of the larger than life "Captain Sensible" from the band "The Damned".
The figure will be eventually offered as a prize to people who buy The Damned goodie set I'm working on and I hope to have everything ready before Christmas 2012.

Captain Sensible

I won't be using any set picture of the captain to work from and will be just trying to create his style.

I'm very much new to all this and will be learning as I go along but it's proving to be very enjoyable.

Over the last week or so I've started to purchase items that would be ideal for the figure, you can see what I've been building up in my flickr set.

So, that's my project and I'll look forward to any suggestions or recommendations. Being a part of this forum will be a valuable resource from what I've seen so far, I've been amazed at all the creations!
Thanks for reading :wink1:

Last edited:
Re: 1/6 Scale Captain Sensible (The Damned) Project

I thought I would post what I've been buying and where from in case anyone needs similar items.

Building up the captains accessories is going pretty well, so far I have managed to source the following:

Custom Red Beret from Banjoman's 1/6th Scale Berets on eBay - A very well made piece and they do quite a few others hats too (Glengarries, Tam O'Shanters,Balmoral Bonnets, Caps and Caubeens).

Sunglasses & Neck Chain from Black Ash Kit Bash on eBay - The sunglasses were all black but I asked if he could paint the frames white, in which he kindly did for no extra charge.
The original black paintwork is a bit rough (not his fault) so I might have to try and repaint myself.

Plain White T-Shirt (
Special Force 1:6 Scale Action Figure SAS Flying Tigers White T-Shirt 3001D) from ShopOriental on eBay - Very cheap from Japan but I thought I'd give it a try. I will customise it with a transfer featuring The Damned band logo.

Leather Jacket from who I can't remember because it was a deal outside of eBay! Cost me £13.50 but looks very well made. Again I'll be customising this myself to suit the style of Mr Sensible.
I came across the great thread "1/6 customizing supplies & bits", so that will come in handy for studs, chains etc

Finally, an old Eagle Eye Action Man Head off (you guessed it) eBay - Cheap but needs a few repairs to scratches etc, the hair is okay. It's probably the best head I could find that looks similar to the captain and without having to pay for a sculp.
I need to remove the scar though and posted a question about how I can do that in the board "Customs - How To".

So, I really need a body now, then I can start putting him together but I don't know weather to just keep with the action man theme :huh
I think I probably will, keep it simple for my first custom/kit bash.

I'm also going to recreate the old style action man box and packaging, I've been finding bits and bobs to work from but I'm still on the search for proper templates - They must be out there somewhere, if not I'll buy a 40th Action Man and get the dimensions etc from that - I'll good with photoshop and illustrator so that's the easy part :wink1:

That's my update, I'll be back to bore you more soon...

Aha so this is what you are doing with the action man head:)

My advice is to stick with the action man body if you have it or can get one cheap as these things ending up costing a bit , for a bit here and another there.
There are some 1/6 guitars for sale on ebay.com and have seen some on here for custom projects like the beatles and hendrix. Not sure if the ones on ebay are the right scale or not.

"He said Captain, I said wot,
He said Captain, I said wot d'ya want?"

This is an awesome idea. I can't wait to see how it turns out!

Cheers Rondobruteman... me too :wink1:

Glad you found my thread sparkstron73, after your advice on removing the scar from his head in other thread I bought some air drying clay and paint.... just waiting for delivery now.

Since then I've done a bit of research on the various Action Man figures over the years and found out the Eagle Eye head is slightly larger than the previous flock hair one (the beret I bought was a very tight fit), so I think I'll try and get a full body with flock haired 'normal' sized head (pre-1976).... I missed 3 auctions on eBay yesterday :mad:
I think Modellers Loft have some for £15, so I might just get one from them yet.

Still on the search for some footwear; I've seen some nice DM style boots but not sure if the Captain ever wore them??? I'll have to go through some photos.

Yes I've been looking for a guitar :)
He's been using an ESP Viper for the last 10 years apparently, so I need something like that or the same shape so I can do a custom paint job but I'll keep looking.
In the first week of this project I actually sent ESP an email to see if they would make me a 1/6 scale one but I haven't heard back from them! They must think I'm a nutter or something :lol

Also, I might give him a mic and stand but I haven't really looked into that yet.

On the packaging side, I've given up in finding any ready made templates for the old style AM boxes, I don't think I will ever find them.
I think I'll need something like the AM Field Commander box to fit the Captains accessories (added attachment).
So, I'll have to find some kind sole to give me dimensions etc so I can create my own template.

So, it's coming along slowly be surely, time for more research and I'll update again soon :wave

I'm only vaguely aware of this guy, but that's a great song :lol

Yeah his solo stuff is great, he openly admits he's not the greatest of singers but he's such a character, The Damned wouldn't be the same without him :wink1:

Being cool trumps being a great singer. It worked for all the early punk bands.
I'm now daydreaming about how cool a 1/6 Captain Sensible would look next to a 1/6 David Vanian.....

Being cool trumps being a great singer. It worked for all the early punk bands.
I'm now daydreaming about how cool a 1/6 Captain Sensible would look next to a 1/6 David Vanian.....

:exactly: Totally agree with you on that one!!

Oh yes DV would also make an excellent custom but please don't get me started haha
I've already been thinking about a complete line-up to make my own "Damned Man" line! Although I may add some pictures of the other members on the side of the Captain box, like the old AM boxes showing other figures, just as a teaser :wink1:

Rondobruteman - I had a look at your old thread "my custom KISS set" (I can't comment on the final results because all the images are now gone) and saw the artstudio35 website, some really cool looking 1/6 scale guitars on there!

I found a couple of ESP's but not the right shape/model used by the Captain, anyway I've emailed a picture to see if they have anything like it... fingers crossed they might have something :pray:

For the body go with this, cheap, good quality joins and hands :>

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BO38-HOT...nFigures_ActionFigures_JN&hash=item3f1a7779ea

Thanks for the recommendation Gary, I actually saw this in an other thread and have it bookmarked but I think I'll stick with the whole Action Man theme for my first custom :wink1:

Oh and nice one for putting up the video!

I'm actually basing the Captain on his role in The Damned but a 'solo' version could well be a future project :)

Last edited:

Great vid ain't heard or seen that for years:)

Bet you any money somebody samples that or reuses it for some ad soon.
Seems the trend, but that is one worth using.
Like this one too recentley used by a certain flat pack swedish furniture store.
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTns_N9NcMg&feature=related[/ame]

artstudio35 is a cool site, but unfortunately the only guitars that are 1/6 are the Mego KISS sets. The rest are too big.

I took a quick look on Ebay, but I didn't see anything that looked like an ESP. Hopefully something will turn up. :)

he he, interested in anything out of the norm brother :)

Thanks for the interest shown in my 1st project, I'm starting to feel the pressure to create something good :panic:
Seriously though, I know this figure isn't going to life like and was never intended to be, you can only go so far with an Action Man but I will certainly try my best to get a good likeness :wink1:

I'm still like a headless chicken with the packaging, I've started to get desperate and emailed Modellers Loft to see if they can help me out... I'm let to believe they aquired the rights to the old AM, so I'm hoping they have all the old box templates/dimensions.
I don't want to pay £150+ for the AM Field Commander just to use it to get dimensions!
I've yet to pick the brains of various AM forums, so that will be the next step if Modellers Lofts can't help.

Rondobruteman - I never noticed the scale of the guitars on artstudio35, shame there not the right size because there all fantastic!
I did another massive search yesterday but came up with nothing suitable.
My next step is to find out what other guitar models the Captain has played over the years, so there may be a breakthrough yet :wink1:

Another mission I've been putting off is 'the study of Captain Sensible', find as many photos as possible and start narrowing down the accessories I will use.
Definitely going to have some button badges on his leather jacket but I want them to actually pin on/off so they are interchangable but if that can be achieved is another question :dunno

I've found this hobby (yes I'm calling it a hobby now haha) can be frustrating but the enjoyment I'm getting is far more... onwards I go

Just had to do a quick update on the accessory purchases I've just made :blissy

Just been looking through my bookmarks and went to a place called Store Rooms who are based in Hong Kong.
Found some very cool 1/6 scale converse trainers for $13.99, so that puts and end to those other cool DM boots I was looking at (but I may still buy them too haha), check them out:

Converse

They have some more cool stuff on their site, I could have got carried away but I limited myself to a belt and some jeans.

Belt
Yes, I probably could have made the belt myself but I'm being lazy for my 1st project... now I just have to add a load of studs to punk it up!

Jeans
The jeans aren't ideal but the best I've seen so far, I'll rough them up, distress them, maybe dye them??? I'll see when they arrive.

Now I'm getting really excited :lol

Yeah the converse are nice I have them on a few of my figures.
With the jeans you can try bleaching but that may give you a uneven pattern.
I've found rubbing talc or plaster into the areas you want to look faded works well.

Back