ACI Toys: 1/6 ARAGORN (Improved Production Copy updated!)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: ACI Toys: ARAGORN 1/6th Figure

I agree. It's time for the next generation hair technique for sixth scale figures.

I agree. It's time for the next generation hair technique for sixth scale figures.

I don't agree. This new realistic hair may look good but we don't have any idea for durability and stability of the hair in a long time display. It's a risk for such a expensive figure.

A little more elastic hair sculpt (like HT Thor Dark World version) may be more reliable.

If no one risk anything, there will be no new things to come. But, to each his own i guess.

Yeah, hiding the head is not making me feel confident for this release :lol

Body proportions do seem a bit thick, but the rest is great. So if we can get a slimmer body and the head looking less glam I think we'll be in business.

10609727_10152488786389900_8038647423008013767_n.jpg

and a few unpublished:
am002-15s.jpg
am002-12s.jpg
am002-13s.jpg
am002-14s.jpg

Attachments

• am002-05s.jpg
    am002-05s.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 501

I'd rather have rooted hair than a squished head with play-doh barber shop hair.

I take it that you don't buy many 1/6 figures then. I don't mind sculpted hair if it looks good.

Maybe it's just me, but I swear some of those pics have a entirely different sculpt in them. That last pic is the best one. The hair does look good there because Viggo always had straggly hair, but a lot of times with hair like that you don't end up with that look.

Maybe it's just me, but I swear some of those pics have a entirely different sculpt in them. That last pic is the best one. The hair does look good there because Viggo always had straggly hair, but a lot of times with hair like that you don't end up with that look.

That last pic looks the best... I think what's problematic (aside from the colors of the paint) is the roundness of the hair line. I think it's maybe an issue with how the hair is implanted and laying, but if that were softened and less round it would probably go a long way to improving the look of the piece.

It does look like the hair they are using is of a good quality, so hopefully once it's futzed it will look better.

I was comparing the headsculpt to Viggo shots, and have to admit that Dean did the perfect job, it is painting that gives this youngish/female feel. And it seems that eyes have to much stress on eyelashes and painted darker than they look in the movie.
If they would work a bit on adjusting the paint work (light blue eyes, less prominent eyelashes, no make-up effect) it would look better.
Something closer to this:
Aragorn-in-the-Fellowship-of-the-Ring-aragorn-34519215-590-328.jpgA_103.jpg
Anyway this shot looks OK:
attachment.php

I think the hair futzing is going to go a long way. The portrait may not be 100% Viggo, but the presentation on this looks like it's going to be flat out amazing. The quality of 1:6 figs has gone up tremendously in the past 3-4 years. I think real hair kicks it up a notch, especially with the technique ACI looks to be using. This is not Barbie hair. The finer material being used is yielding a far more realistic look.

The funny thing is that if you didn't know it was a figure it would look like an Aragorn cosplayer from that pic.

The funny thing is that if you didn't know it was a figure it would look like an Aragorn cosplayer from that pic.

It's the Uncanny Valley. It's close but off just enough to make it look not quite human.

@ The Ween - No there is only one sculpt. We addressed our changes before showing the sample.

Don't think I posted these here other than my personal thread but here are some renders of the digital model I did for the figure.

As Bryan mentioned the paint concerns will be addressed for production.

Screen Shot 2014-06-13 at 12.11.05 PM.jpeg

Screen Shot 2014-06-13 at 12.12.37 PM.jpeg

Screen Shot 2014-06-13 at 12.12.11 PM.jpeg

Here it is with a crude hair mock-up...

Screen Shot 2014-06-13 at 12.29.16 PM.jpeg

Screen Shot 2014-06-13 at 12.29.03 PM.jpeg

@ The Ween - No there is only one sculpt. We addressed our changes before showing the sample.

Don't think I posted these here other than my personal thread but here are some renders of the digital model I did for the figure.

As Bryan mentioned the paint concerns will be addressed for production.

View attachment 132328

View attachment 132329

View attachment 132330

Here it is with a crude hair mock-up...

View attachment 132331

View attachment 132332
Just as I said, your scupt is the best representation of Aragorn for now. Bravo!
That is why it is such a pity that it could not be presented as a product to make everybody just amazed with likeness. Paintwork is a great part of the headsculpt creation, so let us hope it will look as perfect as it could after the changes.
I would suggest ACI to show the progress of their headsculpt paint improvement as soon as possible, it would "make" more orders of this figure for sure.

Back