a new hope leia!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would pay $80 for them as well. Hell, just give me SS headscupts on a HT body, clothes and accessories from both.

dekadentdave said:
Really, well, there are a lot of Hot Toys figures for less than $100. Rambo, Colonial Marines... all at the $80 mark. Point is, that's only $25-$30 more with a superior body and outstanding costuming. I would not have a problem paying for a Sideshow figure at the $70 range if the body were proportionate and articulated like the NGL and had some improvements to factory paints. Sideshow needs to compete but they need to step up the quality a bit first, THEN they can raise the price.
It all depends on how much gear a HT figure has. The first Halos were $100, but their first celebrity figures such as Neo from the Matrix and Ethan Hunt from Mission Impossible were around the $60-$70 mark. The problem with Hot Toys' first bodies was that they had Monkey arms that would make Sideshow's Jedi Luke seem normal by comparison.

mfoga said:
Regardless what you say it doesn't change the fact that 10% is not gouging. They are giving us the same thing for just about the same price.

Would you prefer they charge us 150 and give us a great body?

I was just trying explain his point. I don't think Sideshow is price gouging, but they do need to step up it a notch (or they will get left behind. Just compare the Medicom Jango to the Sideshow Leia). The Luke Yavin looks great, IMHO. He is well worth the asking price, and I am very happy with him. The Leia can easily be fixed at this point (the body isn't my problem, but another member of the board--for the record I am fine with the body, but I admit it is not the best body in the world).

Cheers,

Brad

drbrad1975 said:
I was just trying explain his point. I don't think Sideshow is price gouging, but they do need to step up it a notch (or they will get left behind. Just compare the Medicom Jango to the Sideshow Leia). The Luke Yavin looks great, IMHO. He is well worth the asking price, and I am very happy with him. The Leia can easily be fixed at this point (the body isn't my problem, but another member of the board--for the record I am fine with the body, but I admit it is not the best body in the world).

Cheers,

Brad
You cant compare Jango to Leia. You are comparing a figure that is $55 to a figure that will most likely be $150. Would I be happy with a better body yes. Will I pay 150 a figure HELL NO.

Wor-Gar said:
I'm not sure there's alot of motivation to change when EX figures continue sell out in under an hour.

Yeah, Daniel Craig can complain that he doesn't like something about the sculpt but when the collectors do it falls on deaf ears.

mfoga said:
You cant compare Jango to Leia. You are comparing a figure that is $55 to a figure that will most likely be $150. Would I be happy with a better body yes. Will I pay 150 a figure HELL NO.

Can I compare the Leia to the Hot Toys Rambo First Blood Part II then? I paid 65 shipped from Alter Ego. He has a Special Body, excellent face sculpt, a working compound bow, a bunch of accessories, and is an import figure. So, I think that would be a fair comparsion don't you think. Plus Jango is an import from Japan where everything is more expensive due to the yen. Their regular action figures sell for 15-20 dollars whereas ours are 5-10. That is almost double the price. Hence the price of the Jango.

Cheers,

Brad

Wor-Gar said:
I'm not sure there's alot of motivation to change when EX figures continue sell out in under an hour.

Unfortunately that has more to do with the Flippers. Once people loose interest in the line due to their dismay with the product, Sideshow will see these numbers drop. Sideshow needs to listen to their fans and make their adjustments accordingly. That is what made Sideshow a great company. Hopefully they will continue to do so. I am going back and finishing the Monsters line due to the current Sideshow offerings. Man, those Universal Monster figures are great!! Thanks to Bannister for allowing me to fill some of my holes in my collection. The Universal Monster line is a great line of figures.

Cheers,

Brad

drbrad1975 said:
Can I compare the Leia to the Hot Toys Rambo First Blood Part II then? I paid 65 shipped from Alter Ego. He has a Special Body, excellent face sculpt, a working compound bow, a bunch of accessories, and is an import figure. So, I think that would be a fair comparsion don't you think. Plus Jango is an import from Japan where everything is more expensive due to the yen. Their regular action figures sell for 15-20 dollars whereas ours are 5-10. That is almost double the price. Hence the price of the Jango.

Cheers,

Brad
I can bet Rambo figures cost small licensing where SW is the most expensive and by a huge margin. So it would have been a lil more the $65 if it was SW. Ok yes the body is better but and more accessories, but I dont think the head is any better.

The import part is VERY incorrect. They charge close to the same price in Japan so that rules that out. I looked at Boba when it came out and it was about $140 US in Japan. Sorry but they are just that expensive.

Yes they big a premium of US made figures in Japan but they pay close to the same price as we do for figures made in Japan.

I am not saying Leia is prefect or SS is perfect but I feel alot people make very blind comments about this is just better.

drbrad1975 said:
Unfortunately that has more to do with the Flippers.

Dude, flipping and sideshow SW figures don't even fit in the same sentence.

I wish anyone trying to "flip" these SW exclusives a lot of luck because they aren't selling worth poo!

You are lucky if you get cost plus shipping and paypal fees for an exclusive these days.

mfoga said:
I can bet Rambo figures cost small licensing where SW is the most expensive and by a huge margin. So it would have been a lil more the $65 if it was SW. Ok yes the body is better but and more accessories, but I dont think the head is any better.

The import part is VERY incorrect. They charge close to the same price in Japan so that rules that out. I looked at Boba when it came out and it was about $140 US in Japan. Sorry but they are just that expensive.

Yes they big a premium of US made figures in Japan but they pay close to the same price as we do for figures made in Japan.

I am not saying Leia is prefect or SS is perfect but I feel alot people make very blind comments about this is just better.

Licensing probably only adds about 5-10 dollars per figure. The head on the Rambo is better than the Leia. I have the Rambo and he looks amazing. If you compare the Rambo to the Yavin Luke, you might have a point there. Like I said the Luke Yavin is a great figure. The Import thing is incorrect. Everything is more expensive in Japan. Land is more expensive. Food is more expensive. The cost of living is general is more expensive in Japan. All of their goods are more expensive. That largely has to do with their limited resources. Everything has to be imported. So yes, their toys are more expensive. Action-figures in general are more expensive. Heck, they even have to pay their employees more. So, it isn't a blind comment. Lets say that you are right, can we compare Luke to Leia? The Yavin Luke kills the A New Hope Leia. There is simply no excessive as to why the dress is so short. There are a lot of simple things to make that figure a nice figure. I don't think the face sculpt is that bad. It is the outfit that is really bad. Add elastic to the waste and make the dress longer. That alone would really make the figure a buy in my book.

To me the best part of Leia is the sculpt. It may not be perfect but you can tell who it is supposed to be. Where the figure falls flat (to me) is firstly the dress. Just.. so many issues. Next is the body. While a few years ago the Art S Buck figures may have been good they just don't cut it anymore. The best aspect of them is the varying heights. However I fear Leia will not be short enough and if not, then scale is a moot point and I may as well transfer my figures over to better bodies.

What Id love to see:

SS Sculpt
proper tailoring
SS accessories
hybrid Medi/HT body
better female hands

That would make these figures killer and put SS back at the top of the market, but right now... they were just served by Medi and Jango Fett.

nash said:
Dude, flipping and sideshow SW figures don't even fit in the same sentence.

I wish anyone trying to "flip" these SW exclusives a lot of luck because they aren't selling worth poo!

You are lucky if you get cost plus shipping and paypal fees for an exclusive these days.

I admit they are really aren't selling, but look at the hundreds of figures that go up from preorder to when the figures ship. People are flipping Star Wars figures (it doesn't pay at all, but they still are). The evidence is there. It will only last a short time before these people figure it out. I wonder how long the Star Wars will continue to sell in the future. Don't really know, but I know that Medicom back in the day, was a lot more popular, but now......they are slow sellers when compared with other high end lines. I collected Medicom back in 1997 when they started. Things went downhill for them when Dragon came along with better sculpts and accessories. Medicom has only started to rebound recently, but they still aren't the same in their hey day.

Last edited:
Memnoch21 said:
To me the best part of Leia is the sculpt. It may not be perfect but you can tell who it is supposed to be. Where the figure falls flat (to me) is firstly the dress. Just.. so many issues. Next is the body. While a few years ago the Art S Buck figures may have been good they just don't cut it anymore. The best aspect of them is the varying heights. However I fear Leia will not be short enough and if not, then scale is a moot point and I may as well transfer my figures over to better bodies.

What Id love to see:

SS Sculpt
proper tailoring
SS accessories
hybrid Medi/HT body
better female hands

That would make these figures killer and put SS back at the top of the market, but right now... they were just served by Medi and Jango Fett.

I whole heartly agree with you (even about the face sculpt...I am happy with it)

Cheers,

Brad

I'll probably stick this on a different body. It'll look better, and I'm betting the standard SS female body is too tall anyway (I dont know, havent got any) but Leia/Fisjer was tiny.

That'd sort out the dress length too

drbrad1975 said:
I admit they are really aren't selling, but look at the hundreds of figures that go up from preorder to when the figures ship. People are flipping Star Wars figures (it doesn't pay at all, but they still are). The evidence is there. It will only last a short time before these people figure it out. I wonder how long the Star Wars will continue to sell in the future. Don't really know, but I know that Medicom back in the day, was a lot more popular, but now......they are slow sellers when compared with other high end lines. I collected Medicom back in 1997 when they started. Things went downhill for them when Dragon came along with better sculpts and accessories. Medicom has only started to rebound recently, but they still aren't the same in their hey day.
what leads you to believe that Medicom figures are slow sellers? They dont normally have published edition sizes so we dont know. and the ones that do have limited edtions usually sell pretty damn well. Look at the Snake figures, or even comic spidey. They had to do a 2nd run of comic spideys and the superman figure sold out pretty quick. Batman, symbiote spidey.

These are only the ones that we in the states hear about. Who knows how fast those Riders sell, which im assuming is pretty damn quick since you have a hard time finding them for retail even when they are released.

PS: all of you talking about licensing fees and pricing, you guys are all shooting in the dark. why even pretend to know anything about it? you dont.

nash said:
what leads you to believe that Medicom figures are slow sellers? They dont normally have published edition sizes so we dont know. and the ones that do have limited edtions usually sell pretty damn well. Look at the Snake figures, or even comic spidey. They had to do a 2nd run of comic spideys and the superman figure sold out pretty quick. Batman, symbiote spidey.

These are only the ones that we in the states hear about. Who knows how fast those Riders sell, which im assuming is pretty damn quick since you have a hard time finding them for retail even when they are released.

PS: all of you talking about licensing fees and pricing, you guys are all shooting in the dark. why even pretend to know anything about it? you dont.

Both comic book Spider-Mans took a while to sell out. When Sideshow had the Black Spider-Man, it took MONTHS to sell out. Superman Returns is still available at retailers. I wouldn't call it a fast sellout because it isn't sold out. Medicom Solid Snake is still available at retailers. He isn't a fast sellout either. The same goes for Medicom Batman Returns. He is still available at retail. Sentai figures are still popular in Japan and Medicom is still one of the few companies that still makes them. That is their bread and butter. Like I said, Medicom is on the rebound, but they aren't fast sellers at the moment.

Last edited:
drbrad1975 said:
Both comic book Spider-Mans took a while to sell out. When Sideshow had the Black Spider-Man, it took MONTHS to sell out. Superman Returns is still available at retailers. I wouldn't call it a fast sellout because it isn't sold out. Medicom Solid Snake is still available at retailers. He isn't a fast sellout either. Sentai figures are still popular in Japan and Medicom is still one of the few companies that still makes them. That is their bread and butter. Like I said, Medicom is on the rebound, but they aren't fast sellers at the moment.

Still available at retailers eh? Well, I'd really like to find out where since im looking for a Snake and Superman :cool:. Send over the link to the retailers that have em.

I still don't understand how you are judging the fact that Medi figures are slow sellers by their progress on SIDESHOW's website :lol.

Im sure you know, the general SIdeshow public are not very quick to buy something Non-Sideshow, and part of the reason they are so into sideshow is the lower prices of the figures. The price alone is what keeps most of the US market from buying the Medicom stuff. People in Japan, China, Taiwan, Singapore, etc, they are all used to the Medicom prices and that is pretty much widely accepted there.

Back