A little about the Weequay heads.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unsung hero

Super Freak
Reaction score
As you may know, Dorgmal Snow was asked to quit casting the Weequay heads. He was gracious enough to agree to stop, and I know that some may be upset by that so I thought that I would give a little information about the heads, and why I asked him to quit.

First, I sculpted that head about seven years ago. I made some initially, but then stopped as I lost interest in the hobby for a while. I found the original mold maybe a little over a year ago and started putting a few out through eBay. So, yes, he did actually buy it from me. I do also remember him asking about it, but since it was a custom and I didn't want to get into any trouble I said that I did not know who created it. Sorry for that, Mark! That mold actually held up well for being as old as it was, but it did finally give out last year. Since I do still have the original sculpt I created a new mold late last year to make some for someone I knew.

As for me asking him to stop, there are a couple of reasons why. First, while part of me was flattered that someone thought enough of my sculpt to recast it, it still is something that irritates myself, and quite a few people in the replica prop world, and I kind of saw it as someone trying to make a profit off of my work. That is when I contacted Dave. We spoke back and forth a few times over two days, and during that time I read more posts from Mark and I really began to see that making a profit was not at all his intent. I even noticed in another thread where he had mentioned asking an artists permission to make duplicates of a head and when the artist asked him not too he respected that decision. So, I know that since I have asked him not to do so, he'll respect my decision.

The second reason why I asked him to stop, and more the reason why I'd like to keep it stopped is that like I said to start with, that sculpt is seven years old. I think it's terrible! It is horribly inaccurate, and I really don't care for it anymore. It's only been in this last year that I have some to despise it so much. I'm touched that everyone seems to like it but do you really want such a piece in your collection? I've kept the sculpt because it is something that I created, and that means something to me. But, if I want a Weequay in my collection again, I'd rather have something that looks better.

So, I'm going to leave it up to the people here. If you guys (and gals?) really still want this head sculpt, someone can take the newer mold off of my hands. While I will still keep the original sculpt, I will not make another mold of it. But, I may decide to do a new one if you want too. So, let me know; no heads, old crappy sculpt or a new one?

Im glad you came forward and made yourself known :D

I think people would love a new Weequay sculpt and if you do other star wars aliens that would be awesome as well.

I know Dorgs pretty well and he does it for love not money, he's a really generous, friendly guy, so im glad you've noticed that :peace

ditto what cbob said. i know dorgs had the best intentions when putting this sculpt out.
i would definately be interested, as i am sure most everyone else would be, to see more sculpts done by you. you have some serious sculpting talent!

Glad to see you are able to see Dorgs position here and aren't po'd at him.

Its a very cool sculpt, I have a copy and love it on the figure. It would be great if you could trust it to someone to keep it alive.

i hope you're not too upset at us for wanting to get a copy. i think it a very good sculpt!

I am glad to see everything seems to be okay. Mark is the best, I am glad you can see what his intentions truly were.

I would love to see some of your sculpts. Welcome to the board!

ditto what cbob said. i know dorgs had the best intentions when putting this sculpt out.
i would definately be interested, as i am sure most everyone else would be, to see more sculpts done by you. you have some serious sculpting talent!

Dito! Same words here! Would be fine to see more from your talent here!

The master is reviled....

Well first I want to apologise for any upset or annoyance I may have caused you and this was never the intent and I do hope you can forgive me.

Secondly, I just want to say a massive thank you.

You sculpt is stunning, it is the first custom sculpt I ever had and I still love it now. With Vivisects amazing outfits it really brings the sculpt to life.

I am sure you can see from the boards what other folk think of your work and how proud we all are of our weequays and it it is all because of you.

I personally can not believe that you think the sculpt is so poor!!!!!!!!! inaccurate!!! I would not change a thing! BUT when you say you may possibly do a new sculpt!!!!!!!!

OMG I am sure you have got folks excited already.

I would personally be honoured to own another one of your weequay heads if you where to sell them.

Mark

The master is reviled....

Well first I want to apologise for any upset or annoyance I may have caused you and this was never the intent and I do hope you can forgive me.

Already done!

Secondly, I just want to say a massive thank you.

You sculpt is stunning, it is the first custom sculpt I ever had and I still love it now. With Vivisects amazing outfits it really brings the sculpt to life.

I am sure you can see from the boards what other folk think of your work and how proud we all are of our weequays and it it is all because of you.

I personally can not believe that you think the sculpt is so poor!!!!!!!!! inaccurate!!! I would not change a thing! BUT when you say you may possibly do a new sculpt!!!!!!!!

OMG I am sure you have got folks excited already.

I would personally be honoured to own another one of your weequay heads if you where to sell them.

Mark

Hey, I'm happy that everyone likes it, but I know that I can do much better. And, you want to see some other sculpts? Okay...

This is currently one of three on my bench, the other two not nearly close enough to show yet. I'm still tweaking the face, and the hair is just being laid out. I know it looks like he has a Jedi comb-over going, but my plan is to cast the bangs separate, I just have not decided on how I will approach that yet, but I love what Hot Toys did with the DX Joker.

DSCF0539.jpg

DSCF0538.jpg

This is one I just finished, I loved the sculpt, but once painted I'm not sure that I captured the expression that I was going for...

DSCF0467.jpg

DSCF0468.jpg

DSCF0469.jpg

DSCF0471.jpg

DSCF0526.jpg

DSCF0533.jpg

Last edited:
And Mark, I could not PM you back... I needed five posts to be able to PM you, and this should do it...

Well it looks like we have another sculptor in the Star Wars section!!! I am so glad we are all sorted and I really am looking forward to seeing how you can beat your first weequay!!
Love the Qui Gon

Wow, awesome work! Really like both of your Jinns... instantly recognizable :rock

You may not remain "unsung" for much longer :lol

Last edited:
Mark is the best and I'm also glad all is well. I think a new head would be great I'd like 2 if possible

Welcome unsung. Hopefully you stick around and and get the creative juices flowing again. I'm sure we all have ups and downs with the hobby. If you can't love it once more with these guys jacking you up, I don't know what it'll take.:banana

Qui-Gon is most impressive!

Welcome Unsung! Glad everything is cool between you and Mark.
Your work is great, keep the photos coming.

I thought my sculpts were decent... now I can't bear to look at them... you have truly overshadowed me unsung!

How can I reveal my alien sculpt with your stunning work still in people's minds, it'd look like a piece of &$&%^@#*&^#%^+-';>/? (select and insert any curseword from any language with any meaning)...

I suppose I'll still reveal my new sculpt, but it won't be so much of a "big reveal" as a sort of "well... I tried, and this is what I got... sorry if it's ugliness and asymetricality permanently blinds you..." :lol

I would love to see what you come with next in the realm of 1/6 Star Wars. I think that if all of us here at SSF could work together on a single something together, it could very well rival or exceed Sideshow quality. Perhaps in a few years time, when the mediocre customizers like me have stepped up their game a little, and the masters like you have become gods, we can all get together someplace and make something truly amazing... like for example all the characters and buildings from tattooine seen in a certain timeframe of ANH... the cantina, the buildings around it, all the cantina aliens, sandtroopers, droids, jawas, banthas, dewbacks, speeders and everything... or perhaps a small dio representing each scene from the OT... from the Mos Eisley cantina, to Jabba's palace, to the Death Star, to echo base on Hoth and Yoda's hut on Dagobah... I think with our combined potential, we could be unstoppable.

Continue with your great sculpting unsung.

Great sculpting unsung.. I saw your Gui-Gon sculpt over the rebelscum forum... excellent...and good to see that you made your way over to ss freak forum... :rock

I am glad that you were able to work things out with Mark. He is a good fella and loves the hobby. :peace

This section of the forum keeps getting better and better. The talent that this board has attracted is amazing and seems to be growing exponentially every day.

If those Weequay sculpts are that old and still look that good, I look forward to seeing what you can do now.

wow. i saw that qui gon over at rebelscum a few days ago and think it's spot on. love that expression. your 1:1 work is outstanding as well. really looking forward to more to come.

Freakin' fantastic sculpt work my friend!! Now that you have started showing it, keep it coming.

BTW if you take requests, there is a sector of this forum that is desperate for someone to give Luke the treatment he deserves.:D

Anyhow, keep up the awesome work.

Back