A Holiday's Greetings to Sideshow Collectibles

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DarthChrisDK

The Blueberry Freak
CF Supporter
Reaction score
Dear Sideshow Collectibles,

I wish you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

Also, I would like to express my gratitude towards you. Thank you for being who you are and doing what you do. Especially this year (2012) which has been a very exciting year. You have indeed become a household name (in my nerdy 2-room apartment). I have enriched myself with several of your creations throughout this year. I have also traded some of your creations for other equally fantastic creations. I suppose that is the involuntary fate of many of the collectibles that you create. Oh well, as long as they make their current owner happy, and they are treated well - wherever they might end up.

I guess you (as a provider of collectibles) have grown just as much as myself (as a collector) this year. You have definitely marked yourself on the collectibles scene. I'm very excited with this, and it just keeps me even more hooked to this fantastic hobby of collecting.
I guess circumstances have also changed over the years, and I could imagine that it is also difficult to please everyone. Growing in size doesn't necessarily mean that earnings do as well. I could imagine there are a lot of costs involved when running a business of your size and magnitude. Also, when the consumers are made of die-hard fans of all kinds, each with their own specific taste and interests, I could imagine that it would often be a very difficult spot that you find yourself in, having to make creative decisions on your creations, regarding style, expression, posture and much else. You can't make everyone happy and you have to take a lot of heat no matter which direction you in the end decide on.

I guess the topic of Edition Size has come up a lot in recent time, and I understand how this concerns a lot of consumers. I mean, we are all here in the pot for our own reasons. We all have our own views on collecting, and what a collectible ought to be. Some people are only concerned about how a sculpture looks. Some are more interested in objects that hold a certain, personal, meaning to them. Others are in it for the chase; the fact of owning a rare piece of collectible that only a limited few might have the pleasure of owning.

With the growing interest (I'd imagine) in collecting these collectibles I can imagine it must be very difficult to decide in which direction to go. A large edition size offers the possibility of making a lot of collectors happy. On the other hand, a small edition size offers the possibility of adding another rarity to the ever-growing market of collectibles; a piece that might be become a valued and desired collectible for all collectors in the years to come. I guess this boils down to what you consider a "collectible" to be. This is a subjective matter and by the end of the day - you have to make a decision.

As I said, whatever you choose to do, someone might end up disagreeing with you. They might end up voicing their opinion, which, of course, they are completely entitled to. Still, I also believe that a collector does himself/herself a great advantage trying to adapt to the changes that are taking place. Of course, no change should be ignorantly tolerated, but neither does it help sitting in the corner with arms crossed. Try and perceive everything in all aspects. Consider the positives as well as the negatives. Understand that everything happens for a reason and that everything that might come to pass offer, not a single, but, several perspectives. Where I come from we have a saying: "To be the creator of ones own happiness." This is a very important philosophy that is useful in all aspects of life - and it is something that most of us usually forget in our every-day life. People tend to focus on obstacles and hindrance rather than to focus on possibility and opportunity.

Let's get back on track now.

I'd like to tell you that you have been a big part of my 2012. It's been a rough ride for me - not in any particularly unique or extreme way. We all experience our ups and downs from time to time. So I won't elaborate more on that. Still, it's been bumpy. I've found great encouragement in my various hobbies. Collecting being one of the main ones. I've come to love and admire the community and friendship that this hobby has made way for. For that I am thankful, and Sideshow Collectibles certainly is a big part of this. So do remember this. Your presence gives strength to this fact. Your creations and your dedication inspires a large group of people to join together in sharing, discussing and befriending. You are a part of this.

So before I end, let me repeat myself in wishing you all at Sideshow Collectibles a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. Keep up the good work and dedication. But also acknowledge the role you have in the community, and remember that a great many eyes are following you - in a way, depending on you.

Thank you for a fantastic 2012, and we'll meet again in a probably even more fantastic 2013.

Best wishes,
Christian a.k.a. DarthChrisDK
Denmark

Back