A Dr Who TARDIS copyright/licencing question

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

murdomac

Super Freak
Reaction score
I just wondered would there be anything to stop a company coming along and producing a 1/6 scale replica of a 1960's police call box? could the BBC stop someting like that? I'm assuming they couldn't as the source material is public, just curious.

I just wondered would there be anything to stop a company coming along and producing a 1/6 scale replica of a 1960's police call box? could the BBC stop someting like that? I'm assuming they couldn't as the source material is public, just curious.

Seeing as how Police Boxes were a very real historical object used commonly in England and undoubtedly made iconic by Doctor Who, it does not seem that the BBC can copyright the name "Police Box" or the use of it's imagery, and could be considered "Fair Use" and " Public Domain," however, any implication that it is in any way a time traveling device, spaceship or vehicle that is "bigger on the inside," "TARDIS," "Timelords" etc. would arguably be construed as an infringement of BBC copyrights so I would tread VERY carefully but I don't really see a problem selling a 1:6 historically accurate "Police Box" AS-IS without any additional modifications for general practical use.

police_box_inline1.jpgpolice_box_002.jpg

Back