a deep question: Why do you collect ?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To me it is an extention of who I am and what I like. I have everything I like in figure/statue form to immortalize them and to represent them. You can see your own of someone else's taste but you can when they're high end collectible's.

HI!

I think it is a bit of everybody said......I collect 1/4 scale Premium Format figures and for me it is a best representation of an iconic character I like a lot. 1:1 busts are nice but you can not see the whole figure and Life-Size statues are too big so 1/4 is just fine.

I love looking at them and I get a kick out of people coming to my house and admiring the collection and saying "Wow! It's Indy...and Terminator....Oh! Look at Conan...."

I am a movie nut and have natually always collected something since I was a kid. I must admit though, figures/statues are a helluvalot more rewarding then say trading cards.

I agree to most of the statement.

I love movies. Movies provide escape, fantasy, happiness plus other needs which bring joy to my life. I wasn't an "only" child but an oops baby so my siblings were older. We lived on a farm therefore we didn't have neighbor's so to speak. I began reading comics to pass time. I enjoyed the imagination and creativity behind the characters and stories.

I was introduced to movies (Star Wars) and began to love movies for the same reasons as comic books. Collecting started with Mego Super hero's, Big Jim, Star Wars, GI Joe and evolved to high end collectibles. I collect items from either comics or movies which I can relate to some aspect of the film, story or character. The family is so proud :D

I'm sure Jung, Freud or Nietche would have a field day, but I have no idea, just a predisposition to horde!

What else am I going to do with my money? Drugs? Alcohol? Hookers? Hey wait a minute....

Basically I collect because I like to try and stay attached to my childhood and its a great escape from the real world.

If I didn't collect, my wife would turn the space into a girly room.

:love :ccheerlea :newangel :inlove
---------------------------------
:chug :blissysmi

great question

i collect because:

i loved my childhood, i miss all the great movies, cartoons and shows and now they make amazing collectibles based on those characters! great way to relive those memories!

i'm a movie nut! nothing like a beautiful collectible to go with the movie!

the collectibles make a room look great when they are displayed!

better than spending money on other crap!

Being artistic since I was very young and always having an interest in monsters and art in general, I look at alot of the pieces I own as works of art. I'd much rather display my Kroenen masks or my CM T-800 in my house rather than a vase or other meaningless statue that has no meaning to me.

Also alot has to do with nostalgia, alot of the stuff I own meant something to me when I was younger. I can fondly remember going to the movies and catching the newest Friday the 13th movie when I was younger. Or renting the movies on the weekend on vhs and watching them with my brother.

I rarely collect new properties unless they spark the same feeling for me.

That is why I collect.

yeah guys several reasons to do this amazing hobby, I been thinking about it , and one of my reasons is to keep something that I believe is special or speak about something, a figure can say so much they are icons or idols from our culture, and speak about our times, or I considered those valuable things like my own reachable treasures and they are a pieces from our own puzzle named our collection but personally I don’t got a clear idea about how big is, what kind of figures I need to have, where I’m going to stop.
Also is a great satisfaction get an harmonious set or a show case is like get your own space, I been thinking in make one of my hose rooms just for me and my pieces and got a TV and video games and a big coach inside.
I also think that is a way of auto expression a way to show my own taste, my ideology, the characters whit I’m fell something in common, my fantasies from how I want to be.
I don’t know but it take several implications in my life is like for a example I buy some pair of vans SK8 high because I’ve saw it in the jaws figure from coarse.

Because it makes me happy. Why figures, busts and statues? I dont know. Perhaps like the wise posters said earlier, it keeps me young, reminds me of happier times from my youth. My parents never really got a long and the only pure thing that brought me any happiness where my toys. Sad but true.

I have a family now but its nice to reclaim that pure joy of getting a new "toy." Its the only thing I can put my finger on when I try and figure out why this hobby and not something more "adult" like cars and guns and those sort of manly hobbies...

BTW I was kinda the opposite of what others have said. I got a TON of toys when I was little. TFs, Joes, Legos etc so it defintely wasnt lack of having toys. Maybe they were overcompensating for a lack of something...

all my friends know me as being deeply passionate about movies. collecting is my way of maintaining an emotional and physical connection with the movie world. it's like i have a tangible part of my favourite films in my life.

I find it also relaxing to look at my collection. Sometimes I just stand there and watch at them, really enjoying how awesome they look!

that's also another reason for me. gazing at my collection helps me de-stress. it's almost like a form of meditation. :)

I'll get back to you on a specific reason, but for now, it just makes me happy. :)

I find it also relaxing to look at my collection. Sometimes I just stand there and watch at them, really enjoying how awesome they look!

that's also another reason for me. gazing at my collection helps me de-stress. it's almost like a form of meditation. :)

Thirded - I find it stress relieving to play and pose my toys.

But why toys..? some innate, intangible fascination. Perhaps not inexplicable, just a looong answer...

Back