9-11-01: What were you doing?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pixletwin

Malalaking Gagamba
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
No politics please. Just want to know where you were and what you were doing...

I was in the hospital with my wife and new born when I heard the news. We heard the news from my mom who called to tell me to turn the TV on. The first image we saw was lower Manhattan under a cloud and Dan Rather saying "Its gone." I had thought NYC was nuked or something. My brother was working as a DA in Manhattan at the time. We spent the next 4 days trying to get a call in to Brooklyn (where he lived) to see if he was ok.

Turned out after the first plane hit, he and his fiance legged it for the Brooklyn Bridge. As they were leaving the DA's office they heard the second plane crash.

Where were you all and what can you remember about that day?

I was getting ready to go to a class at Junior College. I flipped on the TV while I was getting ready and thought a movie was on, didn't really pay attention. I remember still heading off to class and seeing cars pulled over on the freeway listening to the radio and how classes were canceled but people were huddled around TVs. When I went into work that day there was a sign on the mall main doors that said "Terrorist Attack, Mall Closed." It was a weird day how everything seemed to just stand still for 24 hours.

Sitting in Old Testament class in college. Reverend came in and told us to go back to our rooms and watch the news. As soon as I got in my room the second plane hit.

I got up and was getting ready to go to class... I remember making some blueberry waffels and I sat down in front of the TV and turned it on. At first I thought there was some disaster movie on TV, so I changed the channel. After about 3 changes I realized what was happening was the news. I tuned in just in time to see the 2nd tower collapse.

Like Mike I remember how surreal that entire day was. We still had class (I was teaching a section) but they were mostly spent discussing what was going on and how people were feeling.

Sleeping, I had the day off and my phone kept ringing and ringing. I finally got out of bed and my mom told me to turn on the TV. About 5 minutes later the second plane hit.

I had taken my Dad to the hospital that morning as a follow up visit to his open heart surgery. I then stopped by his house for coffee and we saw the plane hit the second tower on TV. We then walked out the front door and saw the whole thing unravel before our eyes.....

I do remember down playing the event at first when somebody said a plane had hit one of the towers.
I just thought .. ".. its NY .. always something crazy happening" .. and didnt think much of it..... then I saw footage and :horror

I was having breakfast before going to my chemistry lab in college. Caught the news right before the second plane hit. At the time, we didn't know what the scope of the attack would be and I was worried about my girlfirend (now wife) who was working at the Governor's office in Harrisburg. It strange beacuse the Governor at the time was Tom Ridge, who later became Director of Homeland Security.

I was at work, someone texed me and said put the news on. So we turned the tv on and all just sat there stunned. It all felt very unreal that first day. I remember smoking lots and saying 'how awful' many many times, and a woman I used to work with crying until she was sick.

I was getting ready to go to work, had just gotten out of shower when my roommate told me to look at the TV. As I was watching, second plane hit. I had missed the first. I wsn't even sure if I should go into work after that. But I did. Watched all day at work, along with everyone else.

I just came out of school, since it was like 3 something pm over here when it happened. I had to pick up something at my next-door neighbour. She asked me what I thought about what was going on in NY. It was then that I found out what happened. A few minutes later back home, I turned on the tv right before the towers collapsed... :horror

I was sitting in my living room watching Bear In The Big Blue House with my then 2 yr old son when my wife called and said a plane hit the world trade center. I turned on the news expecting to see a Cessna had hit the building and then I saw the smoke pouring out and then the second plane hit. I remember them saying up to 50,000 people can be in those buildings on a given day and the hollow feeling as they came down.
I went into work that afternoon and we were loading trucks with donations of cases of water and food, clothing, and cash for the hour and 40 minute ride north.

it was 3 days after my wife and I moved to paris. We didn't have a TV yet so I didn't know, but my wife came home early and said mattel (france branch) ordered all employee to go home because of 911 and we watched the news on TV in a neighbor's home.

I was at work in Houston at the time. One of my co-workers was out that day and called in telling us to check the news. CNN.com wasn't coming up because the site was getting hammered. Checked a local site and saw the news.

Spent a couple hours after that watching the news on TV in one of the conference rooms. Saw the second plane hit and the towers fall.

They eventually closed the office and sent us home in fears that airplanes would strike buildings all over the country.

Hard to believe it's been 8 years. :(

Working. Didnt see/hear anything on my way to work. Got to work and they were watching it in the break room. Only the first plane had hit and the few guys who were watching didnt make to much of it. We were watching live as the second plane hit. Shock followed and the realization that it was not an accident.

Working. Didnt see/hear anything on my way to work. Got to work and they were watching it in the break room. Only the first plane had hit and the few guys who were watching didnt make to much of it. We were watching live as the second plane hit. Shock followed and the realization that it was not an accident.

yup. I thought it was all a bad accident and not deliberate until the second plane hit. It was very surreal.

Back