41" Batman statue WIP **UPDATED 03/29/14**

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: 32" Batman statue WIP **UPDATED 12/21/13**

Sunday's update.. getting closer ...still loads to do on this though!! Happy New Year!

1546433_10202856698561592_1783976042_n.jpg

Last edited:
Re: 32" Batman statue WIP **UPDATED Sunday 01/05/14**

Just added 3 updated images below...:) did some major pose adjustment and starting to get the Bat armor in place.. Loads more to go but he's shaping up!!! Happy New year everyone...:)

Last edited:
Re: 32" Batman statue WIP **UPDATED Sunday 01/12/14**

Here is a quick update... will have some nice detailed photos this week coming... still have lots of cleaning and fine detailing to go but it's moving along...:)

View attachment 92240

Last edited:
Re: 32" Batman statue WIP **UPDATED Sunday 02/09/14**

Hi guys... I just wanted to add a new video and details for Batman....

This is a 1/3 scale 41" Batman statue with mixed media fabric cape. I've just roughed in all the major parts of the figure, and will shortly begin the details. The statue as you see it now is 28.5" and when the lower base is added it will make it 41" in height. Things like glove fins, boots, utility belt and chest plate will all need addressing in this stage. The base will have a lower section with more cave details and will be LED lighted with the ability to change colors with a hand held remote. The final cape will be wired for posing. Final version will be resin and fully painted... cape will also have scalloped points along the bottom edge. Paint scheme will be either black or black/blue and grey. Exposed face area on cowl with be flesh. Thanks for viewing... and I hope you enjoy this brief video teaser. The sculpture right now before molding is comprised of armature wire, and monster clay. Monster clay can be purchased from www.monstermakers.com. For this sculpture I have used three (3) 5 lb. blocks of this clay, and the lower base when completed will be another 5 lb. block of monster clay. Look for my videos of a 1/3 scale Werewolf, and 1/3 scale Gandalf the grey..:)

Thanks
Adam

Re: 32" Batman statue WIP **UPDATED Sunday 01/12/14**

Thank you... I hope to have some pictures this Sunday with some major improvements!

Re: 41" Batman statue WIP **UPDATED 02/23/14**

Here is the latest update 02/23/14... Batman is getting a bit closer to finish.. sewing the cape this week, and refining boots, gloves and utility belt... The lower light-up base has been drawn out on paper and I hope to begin that shortly as well... Thanks again for looking and have a nice week!!!!

Attachments

• 1656298_10203286250460121_2139282453_n.jpg
    1656298_10203286250460121_2139282453_n.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 287
Last edited:
Re: 41" Batman statue WIP **UPDATED 02/23/14**

Looking good. He's come a long way - now just to bring him through the finish line. Great work!!

Re: 41" Batman statue WIP **UPDATED 03/16/14**

Hi.. it's been a Little bit since my last update, but starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel.. now! Will be refining the figure for the rest of the week! Here's a quick snap from my phone! Thanks for looking...:)

1962669_10203450564047858_203236599_n.jpg

So if you have ever sculpted anything before...you can feel mt pain. Here;s Bats after the 3rd major revision to the entire sculpture.. I've finally reached a happy place... Now I can start he clean up and details....I just wanted to share this with my fellow SSFs and any and all comments are welcome! Have a great day! Adam

Bats01low.jpg

Bats02low.jpg

Bats03low.jpg

Hi... I used Monster Clay for this, but I also use Sculpey/sculpey firm, and my favorite Chavant NSP medium. I still learning to work with wax and C% but it's getting there... What type of medium do you sculpt with??

I'm actually trying to get into the hobby myself. Any tips? Were you a good drawer before you tried sculpting? What else does a beginner need to know?

I'm actually trying to get into the hobby myself. Any tips? Were you a good drawer before you tried sculpting? What else does a beginner need to know?

Hey that's awesome.. sculpture is such a great art form and really satisfying.. whether your doing it as a hobby or professionally. I did start with drawing, but I know many sculptors who don't draw... If you can sketch out an idea or make a sketch map for your self your on your way... also take advantage of all the drawn and photographic reference out there!!! This Batman is my own take on him, but of course influenced by many existing references... get yourself a good anatomy book.. check "Amazon" or your local art or bookstore, there are tons of references on line to see... Think of the sculpture as a Polaroid picture.. it's blurry at first. and with each pass your sculpture gets refined, refined, and refined... Don't try to sculpt all your detail first.. 1) Get your proportions down first... 2) then your forms, skull, ribcage, hips, hands and feet. 3) Then go after your muscle groups...After that you'll be ready to move towards the details. Take your time and develope a system of how you begin a figure...There is also a huge amount of sculpting videos on "youtube" and many awesome professionals on line to ask questions of... I'm always glad to help if you have question...:) I LOVE doing this... hope this helped a bit!

Hey that's awesome.. sculpture is such a great art form and really satisfying.. whether your doing it as a hobby or professionally. I did start with drawing, but I know many sculptors who don't draw... If you can sketch out an idea or make a sketch map for your self your on your way... also take advantage of all the drawn and photographic reference out there!!! This Batman is my own take on him, but of course influenced by many existing references... get yourself a good anatomy book.. check "Amazon" or your local art or bookstore, there are tons of references on line to see... Think of the sculpture as a Polaroid picture.. it's blurry at first. and with each pass your sculpture gets refined, refined, and refined... Don't try to sculpt all your detail first.. 1) Get your proportions down first... 2) then your forms, skull, ribcage, hips, hands and feet. 3) Then go after your muscle groups...After that you'll be ready to move towards the details. Take your time and develope a system of how you begin a figure...There is also a huge amount of sculpting videos on "youtube" and many awesome professionals on line to ask questions of... I'm always glad to help if you have question...:) I LOVE doing this... hope this helped a bit!

Is yours solid clay, or do you use tim foil or wood or something to build off of?

He has a wire armature, and that is fastened to a brace made of 1/4" pipe that is screwed into a flange that is mounted to the board you see on my sculpture stand. The chest has a tinfoil core and then the ribcage is sculpted over it ... the skull also had a tinfoil core.. it's saves a bit on clay.. but for the most part it's monster clay. The advantage of the armature is that it can be placed in the pose before the sculpt is underway.. but no worries even after your proportions and then forms are laid in you can still move your pose around.. the pipe brace keeps everything form moving around during the sculpture phase.

Back