2007 Academy Awards

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After reading the article though, I guess Vedder was still eligible since his was a song for the film I take it. I still haven't seen Into The Wild so I don't know what his contribution was.

I think I read that the score for Into The Wild and There Will be Blood were not eligible because of some bs rules.

I was wondering why There Will Be Blood wasn't nominated for original score...I haven't seen it yet, but I've heard the score is amazing and an intrical part of the movie.....Vedder could have atleast been nominated for original song....he did get a Golden Globe in the song category....why he could get one for the GG and not Oscars makes no sense to me.

I was wondering why There Will Be Blood wasn't nominated for original score...I haven't seen it yet, but I've heard the score is amazing and an intrical part of the movie.....Vedder could have atleast been nominated for original song....he did get a Golden Globe in the song category....why he could get one for the GG and not Oscars makes no sense to me.

I saw There Will Be Blood yesterday and the score was great as was Daniel Day Lewis. If he doesn't win for Best Actor I will be shocked. Of course I said the same thing 5 years ago after seeing him in Gangs of New York and that didn't turn out so well.:lol As far as Vedder goes, he was apparently snubbed as it was just the score for Into the Wild that was ineligible.

After reading the article though, I guess Vedder was still eligible since his was a song for the film I take it. I still haven't seen Into The Wild so I don't know what his contribution was.

The soundtrack for Into the Wild is the best thing Eddie Vedder has one since Pearl Jam's debut album IMO. He really should have gotten a nomination. It is one of my favorite soundtracks.

Mad props to Cate Blanchett. Has anyone been nominated for both leading and supporting in the same year?

Sorry to butt in, but this is just the type of question that brings out the movie geekness in me. If you're REALLY interested (* indicates winner of Oscar for that award):

1938 - Fay Bainter for Jezebel (Spt)* and White Banners
1942 - Theresa Wright for Mrs. Miniver (Spt)* and Pride of the Yankees
1944 - Barry Fitzgerald for Going My Way -- both Best Actor & Best Spt for same film
1982 - Jessica Lange for Tootsie (Spt)* and Frances
1987 - Sigourney Weaver for Working Girl (Spt) and Gorillas in the Mist
1992 - Al Pacino for Glengarry Glen Ross (Spt) and Scent of a Woman*
1993 - Holly Hunter for The Firm (Spt) and THe Piano*
1994 - Emma Thompson for In the Name of the Father (Spt) and Remains of the Day
2002 - Julianne Moore for The Hours (Spt) and Far From Heaven
2004 - Jamie Foxx for Collateral (Spt) and Ray*

Johnny Greenwood's (from Radiohead) score for "There Will Be Blood" was ineligible because of Oscar rules about the amount of existing music that can be incorporated.

According to The Envelope L.A. Times blog, who caught wind of the rumor earlier in the day, sources told them Greenwood’s score would not make the cut because “the majority of the music was not composed specifically for the film,” which was later confirmed by Variety, saying the disqualification was attributed to a designation within Rule 16 of the Academy’s Special Rules for Music Awards (5d under “Eligibility”), which excludes “scores diluted by the use of tracked themes or other pre-existing music.”

Greenwood’s score is only 35 minutes of original music and the rest of the film contains roughly 46 minutes of pre-existing work (including selections from the works of Arvo Pärt, and Johannes Brahms’ “Concerto in D Major”). Approximately 15 minutes of Greenwood’s 2006 composition “Popcorn Superhet Receiver” is also part of that latter 46-minute figure, but again, it’s a pre-existing piece of music.

I think this is the same rule that got Howard Shore's score for Two Towers excluded from consideration in 2002.

EDIT: Now I see that Bannister had pointed this out on the previous page. Doh!!

Sorry to butt in, but this is just the type of question that brings out the movie geekness in me. If you're REALLY interested (* indicates winner of Oscar for that award):

1938 - Fay Bainter for Jezebel (Spt)* and White Banners
1942 - Theresa Wright for Mrs. Miniver (Spt)* and Pride of the Yankees
1944 - Barry Fitzgerald for Going My Way -- both Best Actor & Best Spt for same film
1982 - Jessica Lange for Tootsie (Spt)* and Frances
1987 - Sigourney Weaver for Working Girl (Spt) and Gorillas in the Mist
1992 - Al Pacino for Glengarry Glen Ross (Spt) and Scent of a Woman*
1993 - Holly Hunter for The Firm (Spt) and THe Piano*
1994 - Emma Thompson for In the Name of the Father (Spt) and Remains of the Day
2002 - Julianne Moore for The Hours (Spt) and Far From Heaven
2004 - Jamie Foxx for Collateral (Spt) and Ray*

Well nevermind then. I take back my props Cate. Stop calling me, I won't be your date to the Oscars....... :D

I honestly pay very little attention to these things as they have no influence on how I view a movie.

I honestly pay very little attention to these things as they have no influence on how I view a movie.

Me either, for the most part if a movie is up for an oscar it means i don't want to watch it. A large % of the movies are movies I don't want to watch or didn't really enjoy.

I just wonder how many actors stick to their tune of won't cross the picket line it the writers picket the oscars. I hope they do it could be funny to have a empty theater and no one to accept an award.

I heard a few comments from the person in charge of production of the oscars and he seemed to be way to cocky about this show going off.

Hey you single guys and gals out there--- although I wouldn't change a thing about married life and being a father there is one major thing that's hard to get used to... (especially when you don't live close to a theatre of any substance) I used to go and see every movie possible like a religious fanatic and regular offerings to the gods were made in popcorn and much too large softdrinks. When Oscar season rolled around and the announcements were made for the major awards if there was something that I had not yet seen (and it didn't look completely out of my tastes-- and my tastes in movies are varied) then I would make sure that I saw what I had missed at the earliest opportunity. In red are the movies/performances that I have yet to see.

Start a family, wait for the DVD.:D

BEST MOTION PICTURE OF THE YEAR
Atonement
Juno
Michael Clayton
No Country for Old Men
There Will Be Blood

ACHIEVEMENT IN DIRECTING
Julian Schnabel - The Diving Bell and the Butterfly
Jason Reitman - Juno
Tony Gilroy - Michael Clayton
Joel Coen and Ethan Coen - No Country for Old Men
Paul Thomas Anderson - There Will Be Blood

PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTOR IN A LEADING ROLE
George Clooney - Michael Clayton
Daniel Day-Lewis - There Will Be Blood
Johnny Depp - Sweeney Todd The Demon Barber of Fleet Street
Tommy Lee Jones - In the Valley of Elah
Viggo Mortensen - Eastern Promises

PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTRESS IN A LEADING ROLE
Cate Blanchett - Elizabeth: The Golden Age
Julie Christie - Away From Her
Marion Cotillard - La Vie en Rose
Laura Linney - The Savages
Ellen Page - Juno

PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTOR IN A SUPPORTING ROLE
Casey Affleck - The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford
Javier Bardem - No Country for Old Men
Philip Seymour Hoffman - Charlie Wilson's War
Hal Holbrook - Into the Wild
Tom Wilkinson - Michael Clayton

PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTRESS IN A SUPPORTING ROLE
Cate Blanchett - I'm Not There
Ruby Dee - American Gangster
Saoirse Ronan - Atonement
Amy Ryan - Gone Baby Gone
Tilda Swinton - Michael Clayton

ADAPTED SCREENPLAY
Christopher Hampton - Atonement
Sarah Polley - Away From Her
Ronald Harwood - The Diving Bell and the Butterfly
Joel Coen & Ethan Coen - No Country for Old Men
Paul Thomas Anderson - There Will Be Blood

ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY
Diablo Cody - Juno
Nancy Oliver - Lars and the Real Girl
Tony Gilroy - Michael Clayton

Brad Bird - Ratatouille
Tamara Jenkins - The Savages

BEST ANIMATED FEATURE FILM OF THE YEAR
Persepolis
Ratatouille
Surf's Up

ACHIEVEMENT IN ART DIRECTION
American Gangster
Art Direction: Arthur Max; Set Decoration: Beth A. Rubino
Atonement
Art Direction: Sarah Greenwood; Set Decoration: Katie Spencer

The Golden Compass
Art Direction: Dennis Gassner; Set Decoration: Anna Pinnock
Sweeney Todd The Demon Barber of Fleet Street
Art Direction: Dante Ferretti; Set Decoration: Francesca Lo Schiavo
There Will Be Blood
Art Direction: Jack Fisk; Set Decoration: Jim Erickson

ACHIEVEMENT IN CINEMATOGRAPHY
Roger Deakins - The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford
Seamus McGarvey - Atonement
Janusz Kaminski - The Diving Bell and the Butterfly
Roger Deakins - No Country for Old Men
Robert Elswit - There Will Be Blood

ACHIEVEMENT IN COSTUME DESIGN
Albert Wolsky - Across the Universe
Jacqueline Durran - Atonement
Alexandra Byrne - Elizabeth: The Golden Age
Marit Allen - La Vie en Rose
Colleen Atwood - Sweeney Todd The Demon Barber of Fleet Street

ACHIEVEMENT IN FILM EDITING
Christopher Rouse - The Bourne Ultimatum
Juliette Welfling - The Diving Bell and the Butterfly
Jay Cassidy - Into the Wild
Roderick Jaynes - No Country for Old Men
Dylan Tichenor - There Will Be Blood

ACHIEVEMENT IN MAKEUP
Didier Lavergne and Jan Archibald - La Vie en Rose
Rick Baker and Kazuhiro Tsuji - Norbit

Ve Neill and Martin Samuel - Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End

ACHIEVEMENT IN MUSIC WRITTEN FOR MOTION PICTURES (ORIGINAL SCORE)
Dario Marianelli - Atonement
Alberto Iglesias - The Kite Runner
James Newton Howard - Michael Clayton

Michael Giacchino - Ratatouille
Marco Beltrami - 3:10 to Yuma

ACHIEVEMENT IN MUSIC WRITTEN FOR MOTION PICTURES (ORIGINAL SONG)
"Falling Slowly" - Once
Music and Lyric by Glen Hansard and: Marketa Irglova
"Happy Working Song" - Enchanted
Music by Alan Menken; Lyric by Stephen Schwartz
"Raise It Up" - August Rush
Nominees to be determined "So Close" - Enchanted
"That's How You Know" - Enchanted

ACHIEVEMENT IN SOUND MIXING
Scott Millan, David Parker and Kirk Francis - The Bourne Ultimatum
Skip Lievsay, Craig Berkey, Greg Orloff and Peter Kurland - No Country for Old Men
Randy Thom, Michael Semanick and Doc Kane - Ratatouille
Paul Massey, David Giammarco and Jim Stuebe - 3:10 to Yuma
Kevin O'Connell, Greg P. Russell and Peter J. Devlin - Transformers

ACHIEVEMENT IN SOUND EDITING
Karen Baker Landers and Per Hallberg - The Bourne Ultimatum
Skip Lievsay - No Country for Old Men
Randy Thom and Michael Silvers - Ratatouille
Matthew Wood - There Will Be Blood
Ethan Van der Ryn and Mike Hopkins - Transformers

ACHIEVEMENT IN VISUAL EFFECTS
Michael Fink, Bill Westenhofer, Ben Morris and Trevor Wood - The Golden Compass
John Knoll, Hal Hickel, Charles Gibson and John Frazier - Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End
Scott Farrar, Scott Benza, Russell Earl and John Frazier - Transformers

Enjoy those movies while you can:monkey2:rotfl. Go Ratatouille!!!!

Well, I drove an hour yesterday to the closest theater showing "There Will Be Blood" and it was worth it. A very different but incredible film that I would say is worth the critical attention it's getting. Not a movie for everyone, but I thought it was extremely well done. It also gets my vote for best movie quote of the year:

I DRINK YOUR MILKSHAKE!!!

Daniel Day-Lewis just delivered his lines like a madman at times--he was pretty amazing to watch.

I have to say that the score for There Will Be Blood was amazing - definitely one of the best of the year.

But as I get older I find that the "art" films that used to champion hold less appeal for me. I saw No Country For Old Men and I love the Cohen Bros., but I just didn't get why this is getting so much attention. Sure Badem is great and creepy - but I nearly fell asleep through most of the film. Same with There Will Be Blood - I've always thought PT Anderson was overrated, although I loved Punch Drunk Love and thought Cruise in Magnolia was great - but aside from Danny Day, I found this film pretty boring too.

Rattatouille being nominated for screenplay was a suprising yet appropriate recognition and that was one of my favorite films of the year.

No Country for Old Men was pretty good and Bardem was exceptional but the film was not the best thing since sliced bread that so many of the critics are implying. And as for There Will be Blood...sorry, I just couldn't help but keep thinking....gee DDL sounds just like John Huston in Chinatown (and every other thing I ever saw of him). He just seemed to be trying too hard. And I really wasn't too crazy about the minimalist style of plot and story telling. (Am sure there's a more conventional and fascinating story on the cutting room floor...to include miles of good footage of Ciaran Hinds' work. To reduce this man's contributions to nothing more than a background character at times was a phenomenal waste of talent.) So, I really guess my lack of appreciation for these films signals that maybe I'm getting too jaded.

I really liked that Casey Affleck was nominated for the Jesse James movie. That was my favorite of the year.

You know what? I loved that movie, my wife complained after the movie and was shocked when I told her that I liked it. I also told her right after the movie that Casey Afleck WILL be nominated for an Academy Award for his performance.

For me I just knew he would, good for him, I will buy this movie when it comes out on DVD! It was filmed here where I live too.

Wow, I'm shocked at the reaction to There Will Be Blood. I will give you that the movie was really long, and there were some parts that bordered on dull; but the movie was amazing. Amazing score, DDL, directing (I normally don't like PTA). I can forgive some not so great parts for the amazing parts (especially the final scene in the bowling alley HOLY CRAP!!!! Didn't see that one coming)

Of the best picture nominees, I have seen:

Atonement, Juno, and No Country for Old Men

Will probably not see the other two, unless on DVD at a later date. (Don't kill me, but DDL's style of acting does not appeal to me in any way... he seems to only play over-the-top characters in a very over-the-top manner... For instance, I couldn't STAND Gangs of New York and his part in it. He's a great actor, but his acting actually takes me out of the experience... it's more suited for stage plays rather than film, IMO.)

Has anyone seen Michael Clayton? Looked kinda boring to me... is it worth seeing in the theater, or wait for rental?

I LOOOOOVE Juno, but don't think it has a chance in heck. I'm just glad it got nominated, and I'm cheering for it to win best original screenplay. Very uplifting and hopeful movie, with wit. Can't wait to see what else Diablo Cody has in her.

No Country for Old Men was entertaining, but nothing too special IMO.

Just saw Atonement last night, and maybe it's because it's fresh in my mind, but I really loved it. It's a very unique and different way of telling the age-old story of lovers split by a horrible war. And I think it ended brilliantly. The music was amazing, as was the cinematography, which is also why the 2005 Pride and Prejudice is one of my favorite films of all time. The same director and composer teamed up again for another 'quiet' film that's absolutely stunning in it's sweeping imagery. Reminds me of a lot of the 'classics' of the silver screen. If I could vote, it would get mine for overall best picture (all the pieces coming together for a very entertaining piece of filmmaking), but I honestly have no idea which will win this year... and don't really care all that much, although it's interesting to see what the 'industry' views as its standards.

Will probably not see the other two, unless on DVD at a later date. (Don't kill me, but DDL's style of acting does not appeal to me in any way... he seems to only play over-the-top characters in a very over-the-top manner... For instance, I couldn't STAND Gangs of New York and his part in it. He's a great actor, but his acting actually takes me out of the experience... it's more suited for stage plays rather than film, IMO.)

He most definitely goes over the top in this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThZI-p8SKe0

Not a natural acting job at all--very theatrical and nuts by the end! I personally enoyed his performance, but it's definitely WAY out there. He will probably win the Oscar, but it wouldn't surprise me if that was about it for the film. No Country For Old Men will take most of its nominations.

(Don't kill me, but DDL's style of acting does not appeal to me in any way... he seems to only play over-the-top characters in a very over-the-top manner... For instance, I couldn't STAND Gangs of New York and his part in it. He's a great actor, but his acting actually takes me out of the experience... it's more suited for stage plays rather than film, IMO.)

I second that Dusty. Too big a take on an already too large a character...story became secondary to the obsessive focus on DDL.

I haven't seen There Will Be Blood yet, but I did LOVE No Country for Old Men(Cormack McCarthy is one of my favorite writers...Blood Meridian probably my favorite book). I hope it wins everything! :D I also really dug Viggo in Eastern Promises, but would really be surprised if he beat Mr. Day-Lewis.

Back