12" figs and separate neckposted Helmets

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mortar Conn

Super Freak
Reaction score
Apparently Sideshow has opted to go with two separate heads, a headsculpt and a second helmeted head with a neckpost so that the two are interchangeable. According to several posters that is the design for the Leia Boushh figure and other helmeted/armored figures to come.

I'm trying to understand why Sideshow went this route. I've built several 'helmeted' Marmit SW figs and customized helmeted Hasbro SW figs. Putting the hollowed out helmet over the headsculpt has always worked fine and I really prefer it.

The only reason I can think of that Sideshow is doing the interchangeble head and helmeted head is that designers are worried about the painted HS getting damaged or scuffed when putting on or removing the helms. Never had that problem with the Marmit helmets and the Hasbro helmets I've customized have been Dremeled sufficiently to avoid this.

In addition, having separate helmeted and unhelmeted heads could pose problems when displaying a figure holding the helmet if the neckpost is visible. Perhaps the design allows for a removable neckpost from the helmet. That would solve this issue.

Just wondering what others think about this design for the helmeted SW and probably also LOTR figs, particularly customizers who have done Marmit/Hasbro/Medicom projects. Helmeted SW Medicom figs don't come with a separate neckposted helmet, do they?

For most collecting the SW and LOTR 12" lines this is probably no biggie, and maybe I'll end up liking it too. It just kind of surprised me as unnecessary design that could bump up the price on helmeted figs -- having to have two heads, essentially. Don't think we've gotten prices on the Leia Boussh Exclusive and Regular figs yet.

Perhaps Dusty or someone else at Sideshow could shed more light on this design configuration ?????

I doubt the neck post is removable so that might not be an issue. Leia was holding the helmet at SDCC and it looked fine (no severed neck stumps :lol ). I think this is a good way to go because Leia's hair might not have turned out well if the helmet went over it.

Mortar Conn said:
The only reason I can think of that Sideshow is doing the interchangeble head and helmeted head is that designers are worried about the painted HS getting damaged or scuffed when putting on or removing the helms. Never had that problem with the Marmit helmets and the Hasbro helmets I've customized have been Dremeled sufficiently to avoid this.
Actually, I think the main concern was that the helmets would have to be oversized and out of proportion in order to fit over the heads since the hair is sculpted and wouldn't lay flat like real hair.

Yeah... and maybe it will teach them how to include an extra human head with all future Buffy VAMPIRE FIGURES.... arghh :rotfl

Sorry, could help it.

But as everyone has pointed out, unless you want Leia to have an eternal case of Hat Hair, you will have to be satified with the exchangable pieces. Just look at how they had to sculpt Van Helsing's hair to get his hat to look right on.. :D

TheObsoleteMan said:
Actually, I think the main concern was that the helmets would have to be oversized and out of proportion in order to fit over the heads since the hair is sculpted and wouldn't lay flat like real hair.

Good point, Obsolete Man, though Boushh's helmet looks plenty big enough even for Leia's coif. I think you've hit on it though.

Buttmunch said:
I doubt the neck post is removable so that might not be an issue. Leia was holding the helmet at SDCC and it looked fine (no severed neck stumps :lol ).

True, but if you look at the close-up shot from SDCC of Leia Boushh with the helmet on, it looks like her neck would be the 1/1 equivalent of the diameter of a baseball bat.

I actually think that the two different heads are a better route, besides the points listed before, it also allows for the non-helmet sculpt to have more character without having to think about how it fits into a helmet.

Interchangeable heads with a removeable neck post on the helmet is a far superior way of doing it than oversized helmets or tiny heads. The Hasblow Boussh is a pretty decent figure except for the huge helmet.

Darklord Dave said:
Interchangeable heads with a removeable neck post on the helmet is a far superior way of doing it than oversized helmets or tiny heads. The Hasblow Boussh is a pretty decent figure except for the huge helmet.

I totally agree. I did a repaint of the hasbro 12" Boussh a while back and every time I take the helmet off, the paint scratches, and that's a BIG helmet. Think what a smaller helmet would do.

And watch ROTJ again, you'll notice that even Csrrie is having trouble getting that thing off her noggin. I definitely prefer a more accurate removable.

This is why:

L-luke-st.jpg

I don't have a problem with Sideshow's decision at all. The only perceivable draw back would be the helmet head weighing a quite a bit more then if it was just a helmet.
Another reason I think Sideshow decided to go this route is that I think the helmet would have to be made from rotocast so it can give a little to slip over the head. And the last time Sideshow used rotocast was the infamous giant rooted hair heads. (I'm sure Jabba will turn out fine)

I would prefer interchangeable heads because it is annoying when a figure has their helmet on and it slips around every time you want to re-position their head.

what if it came with 3? one helmeted head, one non, and an extra helmet - for her to hold when you have the non-helmet head on? that would be perfect.

ZombieReign said:
what if it came with 3? one helmeted head, one non, and an extra helmet - for her to hold when you have the non-helmet head on? that would be perfect.

Then I wonder how many people will try to put the helmet on Leia's head? :lol

I think if they would have been 3 you would have had someone try to put it over the head which could ruin leias head and then they would complain. So I think a Helmet and Head is the best way to go. Does anyone know if the neck is attached to the head/helmet or the figure.

The neck looked to be on the body and the helmet had a ball sized hole in the bottom of it as if the body had a "dog bone" type universal joint on the neck. If that makes any sense.????

Back