1/6th TrashComp WIP also need help w/ electronics

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ProgMatinee

circlesendwheretheybegin
Reaction score
Hey all.

Here is my current WIP getting ready for the Han and Luke troopers.

Project will be about 20"x28"x15". Wish could make it taller but I'd have to reset all my shelving. Its made from foamcore and styrene.

Anyway, I need help with the lights portion. Was wondering if anyone with electronics experience could draw me a diagram and list components I need. It needs to run 8, possibly 9, red LEDs, I would like it to run on a 9 volt and have a switch. I just don't know what strength resistors and or capacitors I would need. Its been 15 years since HS electronics class. I'm doing well to remember the terminology!

Enjoy WIP shots. Thanks.

watermark.php

watermark.php

Well I think I can help you a bit with the LEDs. I am currently studying for a PhD in Electrical Engineering so for some reason I seem to think I know what Im doing.:D

Okay first here is a schematic of a simple circuit you can use.
watermark.php

You will need to now determine the size of resistors. Im assumeing you will be using red LEDs. If thats the case for them to turn on at a normal light level they need 1.6 - 1.75 V across them. Also we want to have 20mA at least through each LED with the most I would have being somewhere around 50mA. I suggest going for somewhere between 20 and 25 mA.

Okay so now what resistor will you need. It is very simple since this is a parallel circuit the voltage is the same across each series resistor and diode
so for R we have now:

R = (Vs - Vd) / I

So now plug in each of the above lets do Vs = 9V, Vd = 1.7V, and I = 25mA.

R = (9-1.7)/25e-3 = 292 ohms

Well they dont make 292 ohm resistors so we just use 300.

So the current is then
I = 24.3 mA.

If you have a hard time finding 300 ohm even though it is a normal resistor value a 330 ohm is more common which you could use and you would still pull a current of 22.1mA.

So with this you should be able to build the circuit no problem. Remember on the Led the on side is flat corresponds to the cathode.

Hope this has been of help and if you have any other electrical questions please let me know.

This looks like a really cool idea. Good luck

Last edited:
Well I think I can help you a bit with the LEDs. I am currently studying for a PhD in Electrical Engineering so for some reason I seem to think I know what Im doing.:D

Okay first here is a schematic of a simple circuit you can use.
watermark.php

You will need to now determine the size of resistors. Im assumeing you will be using red LEDs. If thats the case for them to turn on at a normal light level they need 1.6 - 1.75 V across them. Also we want to have 20mA at least through each LED with the most I would have being somewhere around 50mA. I suggest going for somewhere between 20 and 25 mA.

Okay so now what resistor will you need. It is very simple since this is a parallel circuit the voltage is the same across each series resistor and diode
so for R we have now:

R = (Vs - Vd) / I

So now plug in each of the above lets do Vs = 9V, Vd = 1.7V, and I = 25mA.

R = (9-1.7)/25e-3 = 292 ohms

Well they dont make 292 ohm resistors so we just use 300.

So the current is then
I = 24.3 mA.

If you have a hard time finding 300 ohm even though it is a normal resistor value a 330 ohm is more common which you could use and you would still pull a current of 22.1mA.

So with this you should be able to build the circuit no problem. Remember on the Led the on side is flat corresponds to the cathode.

Hope this has been of help and if you have any other electrical questions please let me know.

This looks like a really cool idea. Good luck

Sweet! I'll give it a try. Thanks for the help. Shopping list, 8 LEDs, 8 300ohm resistors, 1 switch, 1 battery plug.

Thanks for all the compliments so far. I will keep updating with WIPs.

Last edited:
PROG.... I love it already...

As for the lights I am sure that there are guys on here that will sort you out but you could use the little lights used on train sets.

I had a play with them with the throne and I want to use them for the falcon cockpit. The best bit about them is you can just daisy chain them together and wire em up to a 9v battery and ta da!!!.

I was going to say something, but then Jason's first paragraph made my head explode, sorry.

What did you mean by that comment?:eek:

LOL Jason what he means is you have a PHD and we no nothing, its a compliment. One of the many great things about this forum is that there are so many different folks on here and when we get stuck we ask, and people who know, like you, help.

I will certainly be picking your brains in a few month for one of my next projects if thats ok???

Prog, more we all want more more photos, please, please...

Dorgmal

LOL Jason what he means is you have a PHD and we no nothing, its a compliment. One of the many great things about this forum is that there are so many different folks on here and when we get stuck we ask, and people who know, like you, help.

I will certainly be picking your brains in a few month for one of my next projects if thats ok???

Prog, more we all want more more photos, please, please...

Dorgmal
Ohh okay I just wasnt sure what he meant by that.

I have no talent whatsoever in doing anything like what you all guys do with your dios and customs. If I tried doing it it would look like I was 5 and doing a paint by numbers kit. Some of these are quite awesome and I love to take a look at them.

If you need any help with electrical questions at all please let me know. If I cant answer it right off, Im sure I can do some investigating and find out.

BTW the Hasbro one from the link looks awesome. I can only imagine what this will look like in 1/6. Are you also going to try and redo the digona from the Hasbro set to put in the dio. I think they made one in 1/6 if Im not mistaken.

Last edited:
no progress since the previous shots. I need to pick up some more materials. Hopefully I can add a dianoga. I think I might have the arm from the Hasbro set. it would need a repaint as I think it was just black rubber.

no progress since the previous shots. I need to pick up some more materials. Hopefully I can add a dianoga. I think I might have the arm from the Hasbro set. it would need a repaint as I think it was just black rubber.

Darn it Prog if we lived a little closer together think of the dios we could build!!! Our wives would hate us, but we would be happy......

Yeah, meant no offense, Jason. That schematic was just too much for me. :horror:emperor

Back