1/6th Scale Sideshow Tauntaun

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally got this beauty. It was costly, but it’s no doubt worth it.
Luke’s ‘flask’ was missing, but the seller is giving me a €50 refund because of that, so I guess that’s fair. I might repaint the black one to make it correct for Luke.

7f20b792ee99a51eb413665f003f028a.jpg

That's really awesome. Big ol' smelly thing.

If somebody from Europe is still looking for one - there is one on eBay Germany for € 600 starting price

US$700?:horror

IMO this piece is simply not worth these crazy prices. It's an inaccurate polystone statue (an odd choice to go with a 1/6 figure) with roughly sculpted fur and an obvious seam line on the neck. Both Sideshow Jabbas at least had some articulation or alternate pose options (having a Han and Luke Taun head I don't consider posing options.) Polystone and being a statue kind of works for the Dewback because the thing doesn't really move in the film and its scaly.

And even Kenner and Hasbro were able to figure out that a Tauntaun has four toes, not three.:dunno:lol It's not even just the number of toes that's wrong - a Taun has smaller curled up toes and a round foot whereas this thing basically has elongated T-rex feet.

US$700?:horror

IMO this piece is simply not worth these crazy prices. It's an inaccurate polystone statue (an odd choice to go with a 1/6 figure) with roughly sculpted fur and an obvious seam line on the neck. Both Sideshow Jabbas at least had some articulation or alternate pose options (having a Han and Luke Taun head I don't consider posing options.) Polystone and being a statue kind of works for the Dewback because the thing doesn't really move in the film and its scaly.

And even Kenner and Hasbro were able to figure out that a Tauntaun has four toes, not three.:dunno:lol It's not even just the number of toes that's wrong - a Taun has smaller curled up toes and a round foot whereas this thing basically has elongated T-rex feet.

Yes, it’s a high price. But I just ended up paying the same for mine. It just looks that good on display. It’s a beauty and I like that it’s a statue. I understand why you don’t, but to me I think it’s the best choice. I wouldn’t want any other pose than this.
It’s obvious that, except for the missing toe (?), the design of the feet has been altered to make the legs and the connection to the base more sturdy. Correct legs and feet would make it extremely fragile and broken angles would result in a completely destroyed statue. I can’t say if they could have come up with a better solution, like having the feet in a pile of snow, would have been better. But I don’t think so. And from where I have it I can’t really see the feet anyways ;-)
The seam doesn’t bother me at all when being used to articulated figures.
You can’t even start comparing this thing to the old Jabba. The quality and paint jobs are two different worlds. The old Jabba looks like a toy, this one looks like a €600 collectible;-)
305df7e3283cedd9becd17d9e896fc60.jpg

Yes, it’s a high price. But I just ended up paying the same for mine. It just looks that good on display. It’s a beauty and I like that it’s a statue. I understand why you don’t, but to me I think it’s the best choice. I wouldn’t want any other pose than this.
It’s obvious that, except for the missing toe (?), the design of the feet has been altered to make the legs and the connection to the base more sturdy. Correct legs and feet would make it extremely fragile and broken angles would result in a completely destroyed statue. I can’t say if they could have come up with a better solution, like having the feet in a pile of snow, would have been better. But I don’t think so. And from where I have it I can’t really see the feet anyways ;-)
The seam doesn’t bother me at all when being used to articulated figures.
You can’t even start comparing this thing to the old Jabba. The quality and paint jobs are two different worlds. The old Jabba looks like a toy, this one looks like a €600 collectible;-)
305df7e3283cedd9becd17d9e896fc60.jpg

I was just responding to the price cited in the previous post. I absolutely LOVE the Tauntaun design and was quite disappointed with this release for a number of reasons, so felt there was a disconnect with the price, but I understand it's just my opinion.

But doing the feet correctly (and its not just a missing toe, the whole foot design is different) would have had no impact on sturdiness/connection. It's just Sideshow ignoring reference and doing their own thing, as they often do.

It has design inaccuracies and is somewhat stylized in appearance, but I appreciate that some people prefer the "updated" design aspects - for example I would have prefered the original prop feet design on the Dewback (closer to the Kenner toy - the Dewback prop was mostly an old Museum Rhino body with new head,) but most people like the updated "chicken feet" and that was well done on the Sideshow Dewback statue.

have a chance to pick one up at $600 usd, is it worth it? i want it bad but not sure if the price is right, especially where i have the new jabba coming in..but ive been looking for both this and a dewback, my local comic shop just happen to have one still sealed in box, unopened, box has minor wear as to be expected but has never een touched by human hands and never displayed.

I like that its brand new but also have concerns about QC issues such as possible damaged or missing parts, im not big on purchasing a lot of sideshow only have about 5 out 60+ figures and 2 out of the 5 arrived in poor condition. But for thos that own this piece what is your opinion? is $600 worth pulling the trigger?

have a chance to pick one up at $600 usd, is it worth it? i want it bad but not sure if the price is right, especially where i have the new jabba coming in..but ive been looking for both this and a dewback, my local comic shop just happen to have one still sealed in box, unopened, box has minor wear as to be expected but has never een touched by human hands and never displayed.

I like that its brand new but also have concerns about QC issues such as possible damaged or missing parts, im not big on purchasing a lot of sideshow only have about 5 out 60+ figures and 2 out of the 5 arrived in poor condition. But for thos that own this piece what is your opinion? is $600 worth pulling the trigger?

Let’s say, you probably won’t find it much cheaper. They go for a lot these days. I payed more or less the same for mine and now that I’ve forgot about the money, it’s totally worth it!

Definitely grab it, how rare to find one unopened in a box, you have an opportunity to inspect and carry home with you, much better than buying off ebay. Even if you could find it a little cheaper, I'd prefer to pay a bit extra for a guaranteed new in box, in the long run if you want it, get it. If you miss out, you'll regret it for the sake of $100. Let us know how you go.

I picked it up, we agreed on $580 so with tax it evened out around $600 so that wasnt too bad considering original price was $350 + shipping so not too far over retail and yes its still brand new untouched, the silver foil sticker has never been ripped. they had one sitting in th eback fro 2 yrs he said and during there New year 20% off sale starting pulling stock to put on the floor, thank god no one snatced it up then, but too bad i didnt see it when it was 20% off... the only thing about them is they alays complain that sideshow/hottoys do not do well at there location, when i sold them my ROTJ hottoys boba fett i got slammed i didnt have to take it but i agreed at $85 so i guess they owed me lol, im excited to open him up and get him setup, now i just need a hoth han and/or luke

Just throwing my two cents worth in. Considering that I've owned this guy for many years, same as the Dewback..I still love it. I definitely prefer it way more than the Dewback. It's not just the options you get, but I find it way more visually interesting than a lizard whale.

Being such a Star Wars fanatic, I had no idea that it has inaccurate legs/feet. The seamline doesn't bother me too much. It's not the fault of the piece, but the one thing I don't like is Luke's bulging dead eyes. I keep the figure looking down, in talking to Han mode..but I would love to replace it with a HT version.

I suppose I can nitpick the sculpt of the fur; especially with the snow effects on it. It's not the best job of capturing a realistic look, but doesn't detract much with the overall aesthetics. I think they did a much worse job with the sculpted fur on the Dewback. It's like Sideshow wasn't sure if it was supposed to be hair or not. Like they clashed between the puppet and CGI versions.

Overall, if anyone out there has the means to pay $800 for the Tauntaun..I'd say go for it. It really adds a hell of a lot to your 1/6 collection..plus I'm pretty sure they're not going to re-release it.

Hearing a Sideshow employee talk about a 1/6 Wampa..that got me excited. Then again, we still don't have a Max Rebo band after all these years after they mentioned possibly making them. I'd really want HT to make the Wampa, since they'd use actual fur. A sculpted polystone version from Sideshow would be a horrible choice. The customs I've seen using 1/4 scale bodies are simply amazing.

I'll second those who praise this piece. I still love it to this day. "inaccuracies" and neck seam aside, this just pops on display.

If Sideshow did "re-do" this, it would be made of resin, cost a grand and no matter how it was sculpted, people would still complain.

CALLING ECHO BASE.jpg

If you like it, get it. It's a great piece that adds a big kick to any "Hoth" set-up...

I'll second those who praise this piece. I still love it to this day. "inaccuracies" and neck seam aside, this just pops on display.

If Sideshow did "re-do" this, it would be made of resin, cost a grand and no matter how it was sculpted, people would still complain.

View attachment 442638

If you like it, get it. It's a great piece that adds a big kick to any "Hoth" set-up...

I love it as well. I also did the same thing as you by using the reins strap to conceal the seam line. Jealous of you all that have the dewback as well!

This piece is absolutely without a doubt my single favorite piece in my collection. Every time I walk into my display room my eyes are immediately drawn to it. Well worth the money in my eyes. I am also jealous of those who have the dewback.
038dc7394df0e5cb7a880d3aa4603cee.jpg

Han looks like he’s about to blast the Taun Taun. Gotta fix that. LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would love to get one of these, the Dewback heavily edging forward over this but I have a feeling SS could have plans to rerelease them... all depending on the new Jabba sales. I would gladly hand over $500-$600 for that big lizard. Also considering it’d most likely be $800 if rereleased 🙄 I NEED a Dewback!

I would love to get one of these, the Dewback heavily edging forward over this but I have a feeling SS could have plans to rerelease them... all depending on the new Jabba sales. I would gladly hand over $500-$600 for that big lizard. Also considering it’d most likely be $800 if rereleased 🙄 I NEED a Dewback!
You're not missing much lol. I don't think it has that wow factor..cause of it being very basic looking. Then again, I don't know exactly how I felt when I got it. It was like 5 years ago? Feels much, much longer.

Guess I liked it enough to spend $300 on the deluxe Sandtrooper....cause I wanted the best for it.

You're not missing much lol. I don't think it has that wow factor..cause of it being very basic looking. Then again, I don't know exactly how I felt when I got it. It was like 5 years ago? Feels much, much longer.

Guess I liked it enough to spend $300 on the deluxe Sandtrooper....cause I wanted the best for it.

That's just crazy talk. The dewback is total wow factor. Especially with a squad of sandies.

That's just crazy talk. The dewback is total wow factor. Especially with a squad of sandies.
Sandies? What's with ppl on here with the goo goo gaga talk? Chewie's the only one that gets the baby name..cause that's what baby likes.
But yeah, back to the Dewback..when's it due back? Ha ha ha..uh, heard that every single time I'd say the name from a friend of mine. Yeah, it's a green sperm whale with tiny limbs lol. I would've given the head more expression, with the mouth open and then made the saddle a separate fabric piece. But I like the furry horn part of the saddle....and the WWI German rucksacks. I still like it of course, just not as much as the Taunie.

That's trooper talk chalor, it's how troops refer to each other, like coast guards are coasties. It's not some new millennial way to talk haha. Imperials are just an adopted version of that, you'll hear 501st guys call each other snowies, sandies, stormies etc.

View attachment 442638

JB, you are a crazy person - figures in snow and dirt - now the fragile many-hundreds statue. Nice pic btw as usual.:clap

Being such a Star Wars fanatic, I had no idea that it has inaccurate legs/feet. The seamline doesn't bother me too much. It's not the fault of the piece, but the one thing I don't like is Luke's bulging dead eyes. I keep the figure looking down, in talking to Han mode..but I would love to replace it with a HT version.

It does have inaccurate feet, but one of the reasons I also passed on the Dewback is I didn't like the SE chicken feet it had. The prop was made of a ex-museum rhino so had feet closer to the Kenner Dewback toy. What can you say - Sideshow loves chicken feet.:lol

Sandies? What's with ppl on here with the goo goo gaga talk? Chewie's the only one that gets the baby name..cause that's what baby likes.
But yeah, back to the Dewback..when's it due back? Ha ha ha..uh, heard that every single time I'd say the name from a friend of mine. Yeah, it's a green sperm whale with tiny limbs lol. I would've given the head more expression, with the mouth open and then made the saddle a separate fabric piece. But I like the furry horn part of the saddle....and the WWI German rucksacks. I still like it of course, just not as much as the Taunie.

I love the formailty.:clap I recently only discovered that the term "Snowtrooper" was indeed in usage in 1980 - I always thought it was something that evolved over time like "sandtrooper" I'm not sure where sandtrooper came in (would be interested to see where/when that came in - the idea of SW-themed troopers classed by terrain of operation,) but its possible it was partly due to LFL using "snowtrooper."

Back