1/6th Episode I Blastdoors

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Could it be because of the rights they don't need to get from LFL this way?

Of course, people have wanted such things to display their figures for a long time, and it's a way to deliver without needing approvals or rights or paying license fees, but I consider that unfortunately because there are specific Star Wars environments I'd like to have but if they back away from doing that sort of thing for the generic, we'll never get them.

The first Star Wars like environment they've put out is neat and all, but I'm not going to spend that much on a generic environment, I'd be willing to on the right one that looks just like something from Star Wars though.

I agree, there are a few environments that I really need from Star Wars, especially Death Star locations and maybe Tatooine. Generic won't do for these that well...

Of course, people have wanted such things to display their figures for a long time, and it's a way to deliver without needing approvals or rights or paying license fees, but I consider that unfortunately because there are specific Star Wars environments I'd like to have but if they back away from doing that sort of thing for the generic, we'll never get them.

The first Star Wars like environment they've put out is neat and all, but I'm not going to spend that much on a generic environment, I'd be willing to on the right one that looks just like something from Star Wars though.

No generic environment for me. I really wish SSC could attempt at least once, to work on a SW environment to gauge response. I will buy anything as long that its SW.

By the way what is it made of? Do you intend to add Qui Gon's lightsaber marks on the door or leave it as it is (and as I already said it looks awesome!)

Thanks for all the compliments guys. I had a nice start by Anzik who made the template for me on cardstock.

The model is made of styrene plastic from a model shop, cut and layered. I think its 3 or 4 layers. Thick styrene is very expensive and very hard to cut with precision, so what I did was used thinner than necessary pieces for each layer and bolstered between layers with scraps. Then had to go cover the large visible gaps between layers with strips of thin styrene. Then I filled in any cracks with automotive putty. Eventually I will be adding depth to the display by building the walls to the cove this door sits in. But I took so long making this dio that I want to move on right now.

I do plan on adding the cut marks, as Qui-Gon cutting through it is my ultimate long term display choice for this, but I am really hesitant only because I think once I do it no going back.

Thanks for all the compliments guys. I had a nice start by Anzik who made the template for me on cardstock.

The model is made of styrene plastic from a model shop, cut and layered. I think its 3 or 4 layers. Thick styrene is very expensive and very hard to cut with precision, so what I did was used thinner than necessary pieces for each layer and bolstered between layers with scraps. Then had to go cover the large visible gaps between layers with strips of thin styrene. Then I filled in any cracks with automotive putty. Eventually I will be adding depth to the display by building the walls to the cove this door sits in. But I played with this dio soooo long that I want to move on right now.

I do plan on adding the cut marks, as Qui-Gon cutting through it is my ultimate long term display choice for this, but I am really hesitant only because I think once I do it no going back.

The dio looks excellent as it is. Will the styrene be easy to burn/cut to the desired shape of the saber mark?

The model is made of styrene plastic from a model shop, cut and layered. I think its 3 or 4 layers. Thick styrene is very expensive and very hard to cut with precision, so what I did was used thinner than necessary pieces for each layer and bolstered between layers with scraps. Then had to go cover the large visible gaps between layers with strips of thin styrene. Then I filled in any cracks with automotive putty. Eventually I will be adding depth to the display by building the walls to the cove this door sits in. But I took so long making this dio that I want to move on right now.

Great job on the doors! :D I think they look great as is. The problem with doing the saber burns is then it becomes scene specific should you ever want to switch up your display. It'll make a great backdrop for both Qui Gon and Padawan Obi, when SS finally gets around to announcing him. :(

The dio looks excellent as it is. Will the styrene be easy to burn/cut to the desired shape of the saber mark?

If I remember right, you don't really see any actual cuts or holes. It looks more like it just melts. So I may not actually cut the door, but instead use clay or putty or something to mimic that.

I think the best way might be to actually apply a soldering iron to the back side of the door.

Wow would not have thought of that. At the point of the cut its pretty darn thick though. Might be worth a little repainting to go from the front.

The other thought is, you see the part in the center that looks like a half moon? Thats actually where Qui-Gon begins his cuts. I could probably easily make a second center part and actually use velcro or temp adhesive and I can swap them out when I wish.

The only thing is his cut eventually passes that half moon part before being interrupted, but I guess I can live with that.

Another idea would be to very carefully drip hot wax to give it that melted look. I'll try to do it tonight and post some pic if it goes well.

Thats a great idea, that way nothing will get damaged!

That’s what I was thinking one little slip and you’re going to have to fix that. At least with the wax some hot water and a rag and you can clean it up. And you might be able to use red or yellow wax so you don't have to paint it.

Back