1/6 Sculpts! Eyes! Acrylics?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fangs of Death

Super Freak
Reaction score
Having serious trouble getting a nice coverage and nice shape to irises and pupils. Brush could be better (new one on order), but the main problem is, using acrylics for the eyes, I either end up with it running about (too wet, thinner or water) or it dries or clogs while I'm applying it (too thick). A right pain, it's being.

Is there a happy medium for consistency, or should I use something else for eyes? :dunno:horse

I use acrylics without any problem.
The only trouble i have is getting them round.

Your best bet is to take a small amount of paint out of the pot and put into a little dish or something then, depending on the consistency, you can add more paint or water as needed.

There are also some transfers called EZ Eyes made by Archer that come in various sizes but i had trouble with the iris colours coming off whilst they were in the water.

Thanks Yanouli! Yep, getting the paint to stay inside a circle is tricky with this stuff (Tamiya, BTW). Maybe I need more practice.

best way buddy, get a pencil and sharpen it to a very fine point, draw the eye and put in a washed (very little amount ) of the colour you want the iris to be, the lead from the pencil will make a little barrier and the paint will stay in the middle then put in the pupil, remember do a very light wash of the colour you want for the eye, as u can always add more paint but if u put to much at the start it can all go pete tong!,lo, hope that helps bud.

Yes, thanks Misfit! Seem to remember doing that before, ages ago. The ring stops the paint seeping out of the circle? Must be a common problem then...thought it was just me not getting the thinning right. :thud:

Thanks!

The only Tamiya acrylic i used was flat flesh and it was terrible so i changed over to Games Workshop ( Citadel ) acrylic paints, much better.

I did the pencil thing on an unpainted head and it worked, until i came to paint the eyes.
When i painted the whites it covered the pencil marks and when i drew new marks it flaked the white paint off.

That's why i like Spensers heads which have the eyes sculpted.

The only Tamiya acrylic i used was flat flesh and it was terrible so i changed over to Games Workshop ( Citadel ) acrylic paints, much better.

I did the pencil thing on an unpainted head and it worked, until i came to paint the eyes.
When i painted the whites it covered the pencil marks and when i drew new marks it flaked the white paint off.

That's why i like Spensers heads which have the eyes sculpted.

U draw the eyes after the whites dry!

I personally like to use Acrylics for the base skin color and use Tamiya enamel paints for detail such as painting eyes, because the simple fact the both acrylics and enamel paints does not mix together, meaning the thinner will not affect the other paints so that you can edit or totally clean off the enamel paint even if you made a mistake. Also, enamel paint is oil-based. So it is "thinner" compare to acrylics. You can "build up" the paint for acrylics to give some texture effect, but not for enamel. Hope it helps.

I did, it still flaked.

Ok What You should try is before u draw the eyes use 1-2 coats of your dull coat sealer and let dry a few minute's. U dont want to press down hard make sure the pencil is as sharp as possible. When I draw in the eyes I use dots too not a fully drawn circle.

I've decided (after all that--thanks anyway guys) to use Plasti-Kote spray paint, decanted from a spray can for eyes--quick drying enamel. (But not as quick drying as acrylic; easier to apply, and glossy finish.)

The trouble with that acrylic is it's gloopy or watery, with very little inbetween--not ideal for such a tiny, precise job (Maybe because it's Tamiya though).

Last edited:
I've decided (after all that--thanks anyway guys) to use Hycote spray paint, decanted from a spray can for eyes--quick drying enamel. (But not as quick drying as acrylic; easier to apply, and glossy finish.)

The trouble with that acrylic is it's gloopy or watery, with very little inbetween--not ideal for such a tiny, precise job (Maybe because it's Tamiya though).

Everyone seems to like to use different methods. Sounds like u found one u like. If u go back to acrylics i use liqidtex soft body really grate stuff!

Back