1/6 scale Snowspeeder scratchbuild (Complete!)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Done most of the back end. Progress has been slow lately. Whilst making the cooling fins, i noticed some pretty major issues with the position of the wings. The top edge of the wings are supposed to meet the cooling fins. Mine were sitting way above them. Correcting it meant lowering the wings, extending the cooling fins (all 11 of them) raising the height of the rear deck whilst lowering the height of the rear cockpit area. It was a ton of work, but i could not just leave it as it was.

snow044.jpg

:gah:
Sorry to hear about all the unexpected work. I'm sure it'll all payoff in the end, but man that sucks to find out you had to rework so much.

So many of these scratch-built items end up being a ton of trial and error — great attention to detail will pay off in the end.

Hopefully all of the necessary rework has been done and i can get back to the build proper. Adding detail to the rear deck.

snow045.jpg

Canopy hinges.

snow046.jpg

snow047.jpg

With scratchbuilding it's not uncommon to have whole days work jettisoned because of errors, or more often than not, not getting mechanisms to work reliably. Solving problems is however, one of the more rewarding aspects of it.

Added spring loaded pistons to help raise the canopy.

snow048.jpg

There are 2 magnets built into the framing to help keep it closed.

snow049.jpg

Work started on the front cockpit. There is another set of magnets hidden within the front display screen.

snow050.jpg

Pilot's view. I'll add a few simple lights for the displays, nothing too fancy.

snow051.jpg

Man, the problem solving keeps going, amazing stuff. Those look like the magnets from the figure boxes, right?

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

I looked at this project and originally thought "oh, cool - someone's going to try to make a 1/6 snowspeeder out of styrene."

I had no idea it would be the most precisely engineered and accurate build in the history of styrene sheeting with machine-quality cutting and near invisible glue joints.:lol

Today's progress, the side consoles in place. I don't want to spend too much time on this area, as much of it will be hidden when the seats are in. I based it on the interior of the Bandai kit, as it's not seen on screen.

snow052.jpg

snow053.jpg

Seats under construction.

snow054.jpg

Just checking there is enough headroom and that the overall space within the cockpit matches what was seen on film. The helmet and jacket will bulk him out.

snow055.jpg

More work done to the seats. I added seat backs, the headrest, switches and the flight controls.

snow056.jpg

snow057.jpg

The control levers are removable, making it easier to place them in the hands first.

snow058.jpg

Work started on the rear gunner's station.

snow059.jpg

snow060.jpg

Back