1/6 Scale Horse

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I feel migwits pain. I've been looking for a long time for a
nice 1/6 horse (for a reasponable price). I did find one, by complete accident.
On ebay. Take a look at the pics. It is a work of art. Shipped from Mexico. I got it for a steal 100 bucks (not including shipping). No kidding. I took a chance and out bid another ebayer by a buck. I decided I would go no more than 100 and won. The tack and saddle are from Bencustomtack. He makes the best. I made modifications from his design. The Grant piece is modeled from the Grant monument in Washington DC. Still have more to do but almost complete. You can still find Marx horses for a steal. Just got to keep checking. They're a bit small for the 1/6 scale and Dragon is a bit too big. This horse fits the bill. Bottom line Sideshow can make a 1/6 horse that would be a beauty.

sidecollector said:
I feel migwits pain. I've been looking for a long time for a
nice 1/6 horse (for a reasponable price). I did find one, by complete accident.
On ebay. Take a look at the pics. It is a work of art. Shipped from Mexico. I got it for a steal 100 bucks (not including shipping). No kidding. I took a chance and out bid another ebayer by a buck. I decided I would go no more than 100 and won. The tack and saddle are from Bencustomtack. He makes the best. I made modifications from his design. The Grant piece is modeled from the Grant monument in Washington DC. Still have more to do but almost complete. You can still find Marx horses for a steal. Just got to keep checking. They're a bit small for the 1/6 scale and Dragon is a bit too big. This horse fits the bill. Bottom line Sideshow can make a 1/6 horse that would be a beauty.

The horse looks really nice and fits nicely with the figure. Come on Sideshow, make some horses!!

Thanks for the link Rabbit!

Grant looks great onthat horse. Nice picture sidecollector.

Hi guys, I usally hang out at the 6th brigade, but was just visiting, The horse that General Lee is on is one from the Leonardo Collection from England, you can find them on E-bay sometimes, (be careful they come in different sizes, I now am the proud owner of a 8" horse they are usally listed in cm) There is a guy that I know that does great custom work, I highly recommend. the most realistic that I have seen.
I hope this helps
Thanks,
Mike

https://www.kirbyjonas.com/jwhorses.html

This should be 1/6 scale. Sweet! I'd emailed Battle Rhino a few weeks ago about the horse, to verify it would be sold separately, and voila'! I'm going to get one!!! :chew

Carbo-fation, the Dragon horse is 1/6th, but I think he is a little over-large for the scale (see the pictures that I posted earlier here for a comparison). However, with the shortage and high prices of horses in this scale one can't be too picky. I have one of the Dragons and would not buy another, but then I do have about a dozen of the Marx horses left over from the 60's so I can afford to be a little snobbish. If you are interested I wouldn't wait too long to decide as the loose horse may sell out pretty quickly and you'll find yourself back to where you started.

He would make a great Knight's horse as they were bred to be very large to carry the armoured knight into battle. The famous Budwieser Clydesdales are of this type.

Rabbit

I ordered one too -- thanks for the heads-up, Rabbit.

My first Marx horse is undergoing surgery now...I dissolved the glue and split it apart and am filling it with Durham's to give it "heft." After sealing with expanding Gorilla Glue I will repaint, and perhaps replace the tail and mane with hair.

Any advice out there on where to find hair for the tail and mane?

Any advice out there on where to find hair for the tail and mane?

I did that long ago with the white repainted Thunderbolt. Mine is very plasticky due to the cheap hair that I used. You can try the health sections of Target and the like for clip-on hair pieces (falls?) in a variety of colours. They are kind of pricey, but you wouldn't need much for one project. If you have the time you can troll the local thrift stores, especially around Halloween, for wigs. I have a loverly long human-hair wig that I bought for a song one time and once someone donated a bevy of dolls wigs in various sizes.

Love to see it when you are done!!

The Hare-piece Rabbit

BEAR! I've got a box of Thunderbolts in pieces I'm going to restore...I need a white Andalusian for my custom Ramirez I'm working on!

How did you get your horse all the way apart without it self-destructing? How come Gorilla glue and not styrene glue? Durham water putty "Rocks" (pun definetely intended) and your idea is great.
Tell me more,.......PLEEEEZE?
:D
FYI, if anybody wants REAL horsehair, try Tandy Leather on the web. I bought a whole tail from them once for crafting......:D :google

My project is going to be interrupted when I go on vacation next week. Right now, the first of my four Thunderbolts is split & stuffed.

The horse was already coming apart, so I just had to help the rest along. I used Golden West Super Solvent from my hobby store, which is made to loosen CA cement. Whatever glue Marx used, it came apart after a few minutes.

I started with Durham's because it's a lot cheaper than what I'll be using for the rest -- Magic Sculpt -- and that horse holds plenty. The Durham's isn't real crazy about the styrene; if I tried I could probably pop it out and when I do horse #2 I'll rough up the interior first with sandpaper.

The Durham's filling is concave. It flares up at the edges so the CA glue I'll use to reattach the seams has something to grip; but in the center there's about 1/2" of space, because Gorilla Glue expands. I plan to place a series of spheres of Magic Sculpt in key contact points. MS is a two-part epoxy and it bonds at a molecular level. The gorilla glue will fill any gaps left over.

Horse_2.jpg

This horse is never coming apart. :D But actually I want the supertight bond so that I can do some dremeling and resurfacing over the seams. At some point I'll probably want to dremel away the mane to make way for a hair one, but that may not be until a later horse.

Horse_1.jpg

I have two static Thunderbolts, one with wheels that will soon be gone, and two more with the nodding-twisting head. I plan to use Magic Sculpt to fix those heads in different positions, and sculpt the necks to look solid. There are only three tails amongs the four horses, so I'll be sculpting one tail if I don't do real hair. I'll embed a wire in the Magic Sculpt and have it sticking out the gap where the tail broke off, and use it as an armature -- position the tail differently, maybe swatting flies.

That's my plan, anyway. I'll take more pictures at intervals so I can do a tutorial.

Last edited:
According to a member on OSW who talked to the big chief of modellersloft (who is in collaboration with DiD on the napoleonic series) we have exciting stuff to come:

"they are planning to release a variety of horses in different poses. They will have a fur finish and real hair mane! Not only that but they will be producing a series of saddles to cover different eras: Napoleonic, Civil War, WW1,WW2 Medieval etc. I asked about the price of them expecting to be blown away but they will be very affordable..."

Let's hope they can pull it off.

Back