1/6 Indy Customizations: Image Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
75c27e80f94af0425f854058f7c71f68.jpg

Sorry about the cruddy phone camera. It's a pity the TOD is so small.

What's interesting about this pic is that the two heads' pupils are the same distance apart, yet there's a probably 30% difference in overall face size. Davejames was right about the MJ recast's eyes being too close together, and also maybe too small compared to the rest of the face. The ears, mouth and jawline especially seem really prominent. Just trying to figure out what I'm not liking in pics about this before it arrives (did the same thing with the SSC TOD.):lol

Also, what happened to the pursed lips, slightly open mouth, and subtle smirk of the original sculpt (it's slightly shadowed here but clearly visible in Rahmier's other pics)? Does look like maybe they tweaked it for easier casting.

MJ%20Indys_zpshmijiimf.png

M.J Choi sculpt

7ec59800a6b4e2e5633fb73e75d65203.jpg

I don't like the V2 as much as the V1, which is a real pity. That new Han custom head could work as an Indy, but I guess that's a lot of work for the sculptor.

The recast MJ head is a bit like a few of the HT heads - the stellar apps and nice detailing elevates a sculpt that is really only middling in the likeness department. It reminds me a lot of the SSC German Indy, which also had the caricatured features and Fred Gywnne jaw but a not-bad likeness.

It's unfortunate that there really is not going to be a "definitive" Indy/Han sculpt that most agree nails HF. He really does have a likeness that's pretty much impossible to capture. It's ridiculous how many heads there have been, all landing somewhere in the 6 to 8.5 (maybe a 9 with stellar paint and perfect lighting) range.

I still probably like the SSC TOD best out of all, maybe equally with V1 Ingiou, but the SSC is a little puffy (and the size issue) and the V1 Ingiou in certain lighting does look a touch like a chisel-jawed part-Asian dude. With mods (sanding down the cheeks, someone on here did it,) the original SSC Indy can look very good but it's from a different era - oversized and sorely lacking in sculpt detail.

I was of the impression that the new Inigo Han was the same basic head as the V2 Indy but with different hair. For me, the SSC TOD is next to the worst head there is, it's tiny and there is no Ford in there at all, just look at it next to a pic of Harrison, it's just the clothes and the hat that identify it as Indy.

The Trev original looks the most like Harrison and yes, it is oversized a bit, but, I'm not swung on the lack of detail as the kind of detail people go on about can only really be seen in macro photos and not so much in hand. It's a toss up between this and the recast for me. I really don't know how many more attempts at Indy there will be, I feel we're in the last chance saloon. Inigo can't have another up his sleeve and I doubt MJ wants another crack. Beastmaster is good, but, he'll never put his out on general release and it would be recast pretty quickly if he did. Of course, if Figuarts were to bring out an Indy line I'd kick my 1/6 into touch in a heartbeat.

Last edited:
What's interesting about this pic is that the two heads' pupils are the same distance apart, yet there's a probably 30% difference in overall face size. Davejames was right about the MJ recast's eyes being too close together, and also maybe too small compared to the rest of the face. The ears, mouth and jawline especially seem really prominent. Just trying to figure out what I'm not liking in pics about this before it arrives (did the same thing with the SSC TOD.):lol

Also, what happened to the pursed lips, slightly open mouth, and subtle smirk of the original sculpt (it's slightly shadowed here but clearly visible in Rahmier's other pics)? Does look like maybe they tweaked it for easier casting.

Most of what you see in Rahmier's pic is careful shading, if you look, what appears to be parted lips is very dark shading between the lips, also, his pics are much higher quality which enhances the detail quite a bit. If the pic of the recast was of equal quality you'd see a lot more, but, yes, the detail will be a bit softer.

Ah, that would explain all the whips then! Cheers fella! :hi5:

And in case anyone else is interested in a custom whip and hasn't seen my listing on eBay, I am selling them at £17.99 each + postage. A cheaper alternative to MFisher's excellent whips if you don't want to spend that much. I have three of Mike's whips and they are superb; I just thought I'd have a go at making a cheaper alternative for collectors and I think they've turned out rather well.

Message me if you're interested. I'll knock £2 off if you buy direct from me rather than through eBay. Thanks.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/322139755654?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

Indy whip.jpg

Let's not forget that most of what befell Trev's sculpts was down to poor casting on SSC's part, in the same way, pretty much, as there are discrepancies with the MJ recast. I guess the one good thing now is that not everybody's Indy looks the same, which they were in danger of doing at one point.

I agree on the VI being the closest. I like the MJ, but the size is a little too apparent. The V2 on its own looks pretty good, but putting the V1 and V2 side by side, you can see Ford much more in the V1. Of course, with different opinions, and many sculpts to choose from, everybody has opportunity for a really great Indy.

Got my recast today. Too big and a little too goofy looking. The hat is useless. The paint apps however are unbelievable. Like others have said, too bad Sideshow can't have the same production paint as a knock-off. The search continues.

Here's my repainted sideshow raiders head. Think there's a lot of Ford in it and prefer it to the choi knock off.
Will be replacing this with the v2 though once it's released.

And yes, Indy loves toblerone.

That looks really good, small studios.

The paint brings out the Ford in the sculpt.

Looking between that and the recast I can't see any actual differences in the structure itself, except for maybe the ears which seem to stick out further. Which would be an odd result of the recasting process.

The eyes suffer from being too dark on the recast, which is highlighted by flash photography, but on display is rectified by the shade created by the fedora brim.

I couldn't take a photo without flash, so I took it from above the eye line:

26966510453_b1fe8a1776_o.jpg

The sculpt is definitely growing on me, but it took a while to get over the initial shock of the size difference since that figure has always either had the smaller original sculpt and then the same sized SS TOD.

The difference is a bit like the jump from the MMS136 Terminator to the DX13 Terminator 2.

It helped raising the head up off the neck. The white tack didn't hold the position well enough - after a while the head would start to drop forwards. So I cut up a pen top and placed it over the ball inside the neck of the body, packed both ends with white tack and placed the sculpt over that.

The problem with sculpting Ford, and keeping in mind what he looks like, seems to be that his face changes quite radically as he runs through a gamut of expressions:

Raiders-of-the-Lost-Ark-80s-films-431418_1024_768.jpg

RaidersLostArk8_003Pyxurz.jpg

RAIDERS-OF-THE-LOST-ARK-010.jpg

Raiders_01_03_17_01.jpg

tmqwd9czhcl4tdh2bzq3.jpg

raiders-of-the-lost-ark-3.jpeg

blogs-the-feed-assets_c-2015-03-raiders-of-the-lost-ark-scsw-fan-film-thumb-624x431-287557.jpg

thumbnail_7525.jpg

raiders-of-the-lost-ark-harrison-ford-1981.jpg

RaidersLostArk_098Pyxurz.jpg

The still of Indy the Professor reminds me of the DX05 with the frowning, quizzical look and overall more pronounced features.

Here's my repainted sideshow raiders head. Think there's a lot of Ford in it and prefer it to the choi knock off.
Will be replacing this with the v2 though once it's released.

And yes, Indy loves toblerone.

That still looks really good to me. If that's the original hat on that sculpt, you didn't need to shave the top of the head down. If you want an original SSC hat to fit better, you take the liner out of the spare hat and use that, it will sit lower on the head than the other does.

When I look at all those pics of Harrison, there are angles where I see the MJ proportions and in the black and white one I so see the Inigo sculpt there, so I can see that both he and MJ were studying reference pics closely when they were doing the sculpting. The trouble is, what looks right from one angle doesn't in another. To me, Trev's looks right from every angle and the others only from one or two according to whichever reference pic you look at.

The Indy we want has to look right when we look at it in hand and not just in pics taken at the right angle

When I look at all those pics of Harrison, there are angles where I see the MJ proportions and in the black and white one I so see the Inigo sculpt there, so I can see that both he and MJ were studying reference pics closely when they were doing the sculpting. The trouble is, what looks right from one angle doesn't in another. To me, Trev's looks right from every angle and the others only from one or two according to whichever reference pic you look at.

The Indy we want has to look right when we look at it in hand and not just in pics taken at the right angle

Yes, in the promo photos he looks to have a slimmer face. And in the movie stills the face is fuller.

It's a shame that out of all the Ford sculpts there aren't many that have more of an expression. Though I suppose then the sculptors run into the problem of making him too scene specific, rather than appealing to a broader consensus of how collectors will want to display their figures.

The only really expressive sculpts I can think of are the smiling Indy and Hot Toys' grinning Solo from their Falcon diorama.

That still looks really good to me. If that's the original hat on that sculpt, you didn't need to shave the top of the head down. If you want an original SSC hat to fit better, you take the liner out of the spare hat and use that, it will sit lower on the head than the other does.
I only had the unhatted sculpt and the loose fedora so I had to cut the top of the head off to make it fit. It was only really a practice piece for my painting to prepare me for the v2 sculpt.
I was a little surprised with how well it turned out to be honest.

Ohhh, I see,

My hatted and un-hatted sculpts are different sizes, I don't know if they were always like that or I've stripped my hatted head so many times that it's shrunk.

Back