1/6 Indy Customizations: Image Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You could certainly make young Indy's lion tamer whip with it, this is the prop:

Indy Whip (Prop).jpg

Here is my attempt at painting one of the HT gloves. Normally I just paint my cloth ones.

The last image is before I started. As usual I got the order of the pictures wrong although at least they are the right way up.

It is nightime here so I will also try and take some pictures during the day as well.

Attachments

• 20200711_020951-1.jpg
    20200711_020951-1.jpg
    225.2 KB · Views: 108
  • 20200711_021053-1.jpg
    20200711_021053-1.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 109
  • 20200711_021125-1.jpg
    20200711_021125-1.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 109
  • 20200711_015833-1-1.jpg
    20200711_015833-1-1.jpg
    261.9 KB · Views: 102
Hi everybody.

my name is papewa, i am french.

I apologize in advance, due to my low level in English I will use the google translator.

I a m a newbie in this universe, I want to start my collection today with Indiana Jones. I hope to find all the advice and help in this forum of enthusiasts

What I'm looking for to start is the resemblance with Harrison Ford, I saw a lot of ready-to-sell figurines for sale (hot toys, ...), but on none of them we recognize Harrison Ford.

I discovered for a few days the world of custom sculpted heads, many fabulous artists are on Instagram.

Besides, I am offered the following deal: unpainted mj choi head + iris clothing set at $ 700, $ 260 more for painting, or $ 960 in all. I do not know at all if this price is correct, what do you think?

Thank you.

Here is my attempt at painting one of the HT gloves. Normally I just paint my cloth ones.

The last image is before I started. As usual I got the order of the pictures wrong although at least they are the right way up.

It is nightime here so I will also try and take some pictures during the day as well.

Looks great! What color paint did you use?

@Rogerbee. I might do that or just pull the the pegs out completely and glue in some other pegs.

@Papewa. Hello and welcome. The Iris set is quite rare now and very expensive, although I wouldn't mind picking up another jacket at some point as well! The MJ Choi head is a great likeness but is a bit too large. The hat it comes with is my favourite 1/6 Indy hat as it has a wide brim and fits most heads. I have copies of it on most of my figures now. I think the price you have been given is too high but putting together a decent custom Indy will not be cheap. I am sure the more experienced members on here could help you more.

@IndianaPaul
I used Tan acrylic but added in a tiny amount of yellow paint to it as well. That gives it just the right colour I think. I put it on in thin layers and smudged it into the glove each time. I find this really helps to give it the faded and dirty look without having to weather them as the darker colour underneath comes through slightly. That smudging is the same thing I do for stubble as well.

Here is some pictures with both my cloth gloves and the HT gloves. I will try and paint the SS ones and post pics later.

Attachments

• 20200711_171947-1.jpg
    20200711_171947-1.jpg
    342.4 KB · Views: 90
  • 20200711_171954-1.jpg
    20200711_171954-1.jpg
    415.4 KB · Views: 88
  • 20200711_172000-1.jpg
    20200711_172000-1.jpg
    411.1 KB · Views: 89
  • 20200711_172136-1.jpg
    20200711_172136-1.jpg
    356.6 KB · Views: 86
  • 20200711_172148-1.jpg
    20200711_172148-1.jpg
    299.9 KB · Views: 83
  • 20200711_172154-1.jpg
    20200711_172154-1.jpg
    335.6 KB · Views: 89
@Rogerbee. I might do that or just pull the the pegs out completely and glue in some other pegs.

@Papewa. Hello and welcome. The Iris set is quite rare now and very expensive, although I wouldn't mind picking up another jacket at some point as well! The MJ Choi head is a great likeness but is a bit too large. The hat it comes with is my favourite 1/6 Indy hat as it has a wide brim and fits most heads. I have copies of it on most of my figures now. I think the price you have been given is too high but putting together a decent custom Indy will not be cheap. I am sure the more experienced members on here could help you more.

@IndianaPaul
I used Tan acrylic but added in a tiny amount of yellow paint to it as well. That gives it just the right colour I think. I put it on in thin layers and smudged it into the glove each time. I find this really helps to give it the faded and dirty look without having to weather them as the darker colour underneath comes through slightly. That smudging is the same thing I do for stubble as well.

Here is some pictures with both my cloth gloves and the HT gloves. I will try and paint the SS ones and post pics later.

Looking good there,

I'm not sure what the peg holes are like in SSC hands and gloves or what other pegs might fit in them.

@IndianaPaul

Hi EcklecticBadge, and thank s for you reply.

It is true that for the moment I do not know much about it, but it is this head which impressed me the most for its resemblance, but there may be better.

I was already happy to have this proposal which obviously is expensive, but for now I do not know where to start, I count on all of you to advise me on the best options and tell me where I can contact for get a nice indy.

I believe these are most of the modern Indy heads, couple missing like the Hot Toys, Treasure Hunter (which is a recast of the Choi, and WIG(?).

047e713447f3fd299b19d3d0d26f1f7d.jpg

Top row (left to right): SS Raiders, Inigo v1, MJ Choi original
Middle: Inigo v2, SS Temple of Doom, Jnix
Bottom: Inigo smiling, Modified Choi, Inigo v3

All are painted by SilentSurfer with the exception of Inigo v1 which is painted by Jacob Rahmier.

Last edited:
WOW! That's an outstanding breakdown of the current line-up of Indiana Jones sculpts.

Pretty incredible to see them all together like that, and mostly painted by the same artist -- really allows you to see the variance.

Everyone needs to download this TonTon Indy Chart as reference.

BTW, what is the WIG sculpt? That is a new one on me.

Thanks for posting all the sculpts to view at once. That is a great resource for the Indy timeline and progression.

Thanks for posting that TonTon. That should be a big help on here.

I have the original MJ Choi and also a number of Treasure Hunter sculpts and they are different. Not only is the head smaller but the face on the TH is clearly thinner and more defined. I have been making some copies in order to make some sculpted hair versions. I also have another sculpt which I always assumed was a recast of the TH but that in fact is different from it as well. It is the sculpt I used for my Tuxedo and College versions that I posted on here previously. The jawline and cheeks are different from both the TH and the MJ Choi.

The first pic is a TH which I am currently working on. The other pictures are of my custom Last Crusade Indy with that other sculpt. The differences are so subtle that I only noticed them on unpainted sculpts when they were side by side.

Attachments

• 20200711_221427-1.jpg
    20200711_221427-1.jpg
    320.1 KB · Views: 91
  • 20200711_222015-1.jpg
    20200711_222015-1.jpg
    469.4 KB · Views: 91
  • 20200711_222043-1.jpg
    20200711_222043-1.jpg
    438.6 KB · Views: 92
  • 20200711_222709-1.jpg
    20200711_222709-1.jpg
    490.8 KB · Views: 90
I always held the modified Choi with Inigo hat as the current grail Indy head, so its very strange to see the original Choi head -- it looks like one of those caricature paintings of actors that you see at Italian restaurants. The strangely small hat doesn't help.

The MJ Choi hat is my favourite of the Indy hats as it looks great on most of the other sculpts, apart from the MJ Choi head itself!

WOW! That's an outstanding breakdown of the current line-up of Indiana Jones sculpts.

Pretty incredible to see them all together like that, and mostly painted by the same artist -- really allows you to see the variance.

Everyone needs to download this TonTon Indy Chart as reference.

BTW, what is the WIG sculpt? That is a new one on me.

My bad, think it was WGP after some searching. Before my time. Believe there was a non smiling version too.

bae22b01cf6afcc157f1addd79c238d3.jpg

I should note that all 9 of those were photographed by the artists (pulled most of SS's off his Facebook page and the Rahmier Inigo v1 came from this thread).

Thanks for posting all the sculpts to view at once. That is a great resource for the Indy timeline and progression.
:duff:

Tried to put them roughly in the order they came out but there were some overlapping custom releases. Only had the 9 slots on the program I was using, but it would be worthwhile to keep going and add the HT, WGP, shrunken PF Grove, and the treasure hunter.

Last edited:
I think it also gets the brim just right Wor-Gar. I have found with my different Inigo hats that the brim is not wide enough even if you heat it up and pull it down slightly. My only complaint with the Choi hat is that it is incredibly brittle. I dropped one previously and part of the brim snapped off. I glued it back on but I just wish it was a bit tougher to begin with.

I think it also gets the brim just right Wor-Gar. I have found with my different Inigo hats that the brim is not wide enough even if you heat it up and pull it down slightly. My only complaint with the Choi hat is that it is incredibly brittle. I dropped one previously and part of the brim snapped off. I glued it back on but I just wish it was a bit tougher to begin with.

What I don't like about the Choi hat is the tapered shape when looking straight on. At least in Raiders, Indy's hat kind of had a stovepipe shape and billowed out at the top rather than taper into a peak. It is a very unique shape and part of what I love about that hat.

Back