1/6 Indy Customizations: Image Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Perhaps people will just post their “improvements” under the source figure, in this case Hot Toys Indiana Jones ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Perhaps people will just post their “improvements” under the source figure, in this case Hot Toys Indiana Jones ...

Possibly. But if SS wants no custom work shown then those posts will get deleted.

Although I did see a video Jon Deek posted on his FB page about a conversation he had with SS about this. The only thing SS is requested (according to him) is they do not promote any sale of unlicensed product.

SO, if that's case then the show and tell posts should be safe. Considering this one is still alive after the Customs Interests threads have been axed this one my be ok. Hopefully.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I will be very sad to see this thread close. I have very much enjoyed being part of this ongoing project for many years. Long live Indy!!!

Possibly. But if SS wants no custom work shown then those posts will get deleted.

Although I did see a video Jon Deek posted on his FB page about a conversation he had with SS about this. The only thing SS is requested (according to him) is they do not promote any sale of unlicensed product.

SO, if that's case then the show and tell posts should be safe. Considering this one is still alive after the Customs Interests threads have been axed this one my be ok. Hopefully.

Sounds like people can show things they’re creating, but as long as they don’t ask for customers, this thread might possibly survive. People can always PM each other if they want more information I guess.

A lot of us have put a lot of time, and many years into this thread, would hate to see the history of the development of a lot of great stuff just vanish here, that would be a shame.

Sounds like people can show things they’re creating, but as long as they don’t ask for customers, this thread might possibly survive. People can always PM each other if they want more information I guess.

A lot of us have put a lot of time, and many years into this thread, would hate to see the history of the development of a lot of great stuff just vanish here, that would be a shame.

Indeed. As much as SSC wants to try and squash, custom work will never go away. There are some extremely talented custom artists out there and I don't mind paying them for their work. And I will. Surprisingly I get most of my custom work from the artist on FB rather than SSF. Maybe if SSC focused on putting out a better product we wouldn't have to resort to custom in the first place.

SO pardon me for being dense.... I drop in only from time to time because unfortunately my job sucks up so much of my time.. then running a house with two kids (and a cat) solo is a bear... when I do get free time I honestly use it up trying to build gear for customers.. So I pretty much run 100 MPH all the time... Remember that Cairo swordsman I did.. yeah.. pretty much the last time I parked myself at the work bench to do fun stuff for myself ! Anyhoo... whats the deal on the custom stuff being shut down ? Where was this announced ? I can't find an official announcement etc.. and not fully clear on what he issue or reasoning is ?!?! Granted I have a self interest at stake as I honestly have used this board for over ten years now to meet fellow collectors and help them tweak their figures with gear. I guess I am confused as to why the custom boards would be shut down .... It isn't as if custom work is a direct threat to Sideshow... collectors are going to buy their base product then embellish them to make them pop.. So custom artists aren't cutting in on their business.. in the end the custom accessory or clothing guys like me are helping them sell their products... Someone shed some light on this for me.. I'm lost !!

SO pardon me for being dense.... I drop in only from time to time because unfortunately my job sucks up so much of my time.. then running a house with two kids (and a cat) solo is a bear... when I do get free time I honestly use it up trying to build gear for customers.. So I pretty much run 100 MPH all the time... Remember that Cairo swordsman I did.. yeah.. pretty much the last time I parked myself at the work bench to do fun stuff for myself ! Anyhoo... whats the deal on the custom stuff being shut down ? Where was this announced ? I can't find an official announcement etc.. and not fully clear on what he issue or reasoning is ?!?! Granted I have a self interest at stake as I honestly have used this board for over ten years now to meet fellow collectors and help them tweak their figures with gear. I guess I am confused as to why the custom boards would be shut down .... It isn't as if custom work is a direct threat to Sideshow... collectors are going to buy their base product then embellish them to make them pop.. So custom artists aren't cutting in on their business.. in the end the custom accessory or clothing guys like me are helping them sell their products... Someone shed some light on this for me.. I'm lost !!

You've missed a fun week!

In a nutshell, licensors a (Disney, DC, etc.) forced Sideshow to pressure its affiliates to put a stop to bootlegs and customs being sold. This site is a Sideshow affiliate. Dave uses the affiliation payouts (and premium membership fees) to offset monthly costs associated with maintaining servers to support such a large community.

There's a thread dedicated to it where Darklord Dave explains what is going on but after that it is littered with misinformation, concerns and anger.

This thread was also discussing it but was locked down. A sideshow rep (Chicky) created an account to help explain the situation from their side (starting at post #44).

A little re-build of my Kingdom of the Crystal Skull Indy. Went for the Area 51 opening scene look.

3DF1CEFA-614E-46E5-8D46-5A7C8C62B17E.jpg
43E069D7-3F4F-4E9A-86A4-D7568AE31AB0.jpg

If you want the opening scene look, ditch the gun belt and holster ! He only had his whip keeper slid over his web belt... But you can grab a good WW2 era M1 Carbine with 30 rd mag to fit him with !

Back to the discussion of board drama :wink1: So... I guess I kinda get where the business folks at Disney / Sideshow are coming from.. but in the overall arc of reality.. They are shooting themselves in the foot (in my humble opinion) I have been doing custom accessory work for Indy figures ever since Sideshow released their first Indy figure during the Indy product heyday on the heels of KOTCS... If you don't want to read a sappy post reminiscing about the good ol' days.. go ahead and scroll past now ! :rotfl Seriously though... I had gotten into 1/6 scale collecting due to the arrival of 21st Century Toys' Ultimate soldier line waaaaay back... like circa 1997/98 maybe ? As a kid in the 70's I missed the height of 12" GI Joe.. BUT! My dad took a trip to London when I was about 5 and brought my brother and me back Each an action man figure with a slew of military clothing sets.. Favorite toy until Christmas of 1981 when Santa brought me the 12" Kenner Indy .. Fast forward back up to the rebirth of 1/6th in the late 90's and my quest was always to build the perfect 1/6 custom Indy.. Started with Lonnie Hale's hero heads sculpts.. trying to cobble an Indy together with various shirts and pants from DML WW2 releases.. but then Sideshow finally dropped their Raiders Indy.. I was in heaven ! I took leave from the police dept soon after the birth of my son and that is when I started really diving into making a belt, holster, and whip just for my own Indy figures (1/4 and 1/6) After posting a few pics here I had a slew of requests to make some for other collectors looking to embellish their Sideshow products..SInce then I have had the absolute pleasure of meeting, corresponding, and helping collectors from ALL OVER THE WORLD... Off the top of my head I know I have made accessories for Indy fans from here in the US, the UK, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Hong Kong, Australia, Mexico, New Zealand, India, - just to name a few.. The custom work aspect of this board was a huge factor in connecting people in a positive way.. But in the end they were all still buying the base products from Sideshow.. they just wanted to make them better.. more fun.. it is honestly how adults are able to "play" with their figures. It was never about competing with Sideshow.. (Or later HT) but all about collectors never being satisfied with the final mass production figure and just wanting to tweak what they had.. For so many of us, this hobby never has been about taking a figure out of the box and just setting it on a shelf.. done.. I think many of us grew up building models and painting figures which later blended well with 1/6.. Anyhow... if the business attorneys feel like we are a threat.. it is what it is.. but they're not exactly on point.. I just find it to be a bummer because I made ALL of my Indy figure connections over the past 10+ years here on this site.. But if silencing the folks trying to improve their products is where this place is headed.. then thats a shame.. Meanwhile, as the writing is on the wall, I am jumping over to the Facebook custom figure community .. will keep my account here of course.. but if they dump the custom sections then I'm out.. Last thing I want to look at is 100's of factory fresh figures with no work done on them.. :slap Anyone wanting to keep in touch in the event this thread gets scrapped... email - [email protected]

Last edited:
Back to the discussion of board drama :wink1: So... I guess I kinda get where the business folks at Disney / Sideshow are coming from.. but in the overall arc of reality.. They are shooting themselves in the foot (in my humble opinion) I have been doing custom accessory work for Indy figures ever since Sideshow released their first Indy figure during the Indy product heyday on the heels of KOTCS... If you don't want to read a sappy post reminiscing about the good ol' days.. go ahead and scroll past now ! :rotfl Seriously though... I had gotten into 1/6 scale collecting due to the arrival of 21st Century Toys' Ultimate soldier line waaaaay back... like circa 1997/98 maybe ? As a kid in the 70's I missed the height of 12" GI Joe.. BUT! My dad took a trip to London when I was about 5 and brought my brother and me back Each an action man figure with a slew of military clothing sets.. Favorite toy until Christmas of 1981 when Santa brought me the 12" Kenner Indy .. Fast forward back up to the rebirth of 1/6th in the late 90's and my quest was always to build the perfect 1/6 custom Indy.. Started with Lonnie Hale's hero heads sculpts.. trying to cobble an Indy together with various shirts and pants from DML WW2 releases.. but then Sideshow finally dropped their Raiders Indy.. I was in heaven ! I took leave from the police dept soon after the birth of my son and that is when I started really diving into making a belt, holster, and whip just for my own Indy figures (1/4 and 1/6) After posting a few pics here I had a slew of requests to make some for other collectors looking to embellish their Sideshow products..SInce then I have had the absolute pleasure of meeting, corresponding, and helping collectors from ALL OVER THE WORLD... Off the top of my head I know I have made accessories for Indy fans from here in the US, the UK, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Hong Kong, Australia, Mexico, New Zealand, India, - just to name a few.. The custom work aspect of this board was a huge factor in connecting people in a positive way.. But in the end they were all still buying the base products from Sideshow.. they just wanted to make them better.. more fun.. it is honestly how adults are able to "play" with their figures. It was never about competing with Sideshow.. (Or later HT) but all about collectors never being satisfied with the final mass production figure and just wanting to tweak what they had.. For so many of us, this hobby never has been about taking a figure out of the box and just setting it on a shelf.. done.. I think many of us grew up building models and painting figures which later blended well with 1/6.. Anyhow... if the business attorneys feel like we are a threat.. it is what it is.. but they're not exactly on point.. I just find it to be a bummer because I made ALL of my Indy figure connections over the past 10+ years here on this site.. But if silencing the folks trying to improve their products is where this place is headed.. then thats a shame.. Meanwhile, as the writing is on the wall, I am jumping over to the Facebook custom figure community .. will keep my account here of course.. but if they dump the custom sections then I'm out.. Last thing I want to look at is 100's of factory fresh figures with no work done on them.. :slap Anyone wanting to keep in touch in the event this thread gets scrapped... email - [email protected]
Email sent!

That is a 1/6th scale Raiders actual kangaroo hide whip from Joe Strain. He is, unfortunately, retired now. I’m sure that some might show up on eBay from time to time.

That is one of the rarest whips in 1/6th history. It definitely is something I wish I could have gotten back then. To bad, but on the bright side we have mfisher and his amazing work.

That is one of the rarest whips in 1/6th history. It definitely is something I wish I could have gotten back then. To bad, but on the bright side we have mfisher and his amazing work.

Mfisher always delivers products of unparalleled quality, each piece below has custom work done on it by him:

98e569e6d14758a2099f8f89b3f59f56.jpg

c5e1e1f3fa813c0e7a0447febfff4d3a.jpg
da1ce26c42ebd4ff12f1258200d46a76.jpg

9ea56c78d79910941e60f8ce1aac67ce.jpg
0ef7977aa564233bb6b781bc5f3d9ad7.jpg

1ac960c492e1d941ac75ee96a05025a8.jpg

fb74ac08bee217bdb5ba3ed0b078140a.jpg

Back