1/6 Indy Customizations: Image Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nailed it! Many thanks to Mike Fisher for the wired whip. It looks superb and finishes the figure off beautifully :hi5:

5D0D0311-863B-4C12-BB22-5A6EC46CB614.jpg

468D8AB6-17BC-4DB6-A200-9F67D99832ED.jpg

33C3AB89-8E04-4A74-8D3C-6409E9079E59.jpg

Hi all,

I have now had the chance to take some photos of the hats that Space Gladiator has very kindly loaned me for this very purpose.

The hats looks great and the shape is perfect. The only issue I have is that the hats were clearly made for an older era of headsculpts (original Sideshow, Relic Hunter, Toys McCoy, etc...) and so they are a little two big for our current crop of smaller headsculpts. I’d say they’re probably 10-15% too large in their outer dimensions, but the inner dimensions (i.e. the hole for the head) seem to be perfect, and the hat actually sits really well on all the sculpts.

The hats also seem to look fine in profile from either side, so it’s really just the width of the crown and the brim as seen from face-on to the sculpt. I wouldn’t want to lose too much from the height though, as this looks good and has that real stovepipe Raiders look that we’re all after.

Both hats are exactly the same casting, just that one has had the sculpted ribbon & bow removed.

Here are the hats on three different Indy sculpts. The Inigo V1 sculpt has the exact same crown dimensions as the V2, so I haven’t included any photos with the V1.

Inigou V2:

2DFF55F0-A8AE-4F81-AE61-A28EE3A5E8D1.jpg

99AD48A0-8467-4D11-8A66-860D1A4DD936.jpg

4F9C4600-F84C-440D-B020-EB7EBF2D19C6.jpg

DB25BAD0-1C7E-44AE-ADF5-02D69FE4D69C.jpg

Inigou V3:

D980D2A7-4AAE-4A23-BB1D-317C9B0663F7.jpeg

A1D1C14C-9320-45F3-B000-49134B66495B.jpg

Hot Toys DX05:

27B06DBC-6CE5-42D1-BBC0-2A1C029EC196.jpg

87758804-5E51-4B25-B354-FF014E86CCC6.jpg

A comparison of the Lonnie hats with an Inigou V2 hat. Note the difference in the external dimensions.

BA6A3940-B54B-4C68-8FA4-AFA70DB2D141.jpg

5D6FB06A-8358-4019-8E34-3A6D3BB34D68.jpg

Lonnie - is there a possibility to shrink the casts by 10-15% to match the size of these newer sculpts, or is that a heck of a lot of grief for you and not really worth your while to look into? As it stands, I do not think the hats in their current dimensions will work. I do still love the shape of then though, and I’m hopeful that we can get this project going for smaller hats.

Many thanks for the loan of the hats, Space Gladiator. They will be on their way back to you tomorrow mate!

Wow the shape looks spot on, but I do agree with the size. If Lonnie can shrink the size a bit, this would be perfect hat for raiders!

Not sure which head sculpt I am working for a friend off the board... but Lonnie's hat was a perfect fit... Its one of the customs that came out in the past two years.. Will post a photo shortly...

Not sure which head sculpt I am working for a friend off the board... but Lonnie's hat was a perfect fit... Its one of the customs that came out in the past two years.. Will post a photo shortly...

It’s probably the original MJ Choi sculpt, Mike, as that is about 10-15% too big too!!

You're welcome, Timemeddler... all I can do to assist getting the definitive Indy (shame the hats too large). Hopefully when we hear back from Lonnie about shrinkage, we'll know where we stand.Wonder would a 2018 version be on Lonnie's horizon?

IMO Inigou 2 is spot on for a Raiders sculpt, but that smiling one needs a Marion!
24-2.jpg

It is, in fact, the MJCHOI sculpt.... So what I did here was repaint the sculpt with a few layers of oil paints to put some life into the otherwise dead grey skin tone... then I took Lonnie's fedora and grinded off the hat ribbon and added real cloth ribbon I made in the shop... I also resculpted the right side of the brim a bit to add a bit more of a curl to it... For me this is Indy with a screen accurate fedora..

IMG_8120.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks... Once in a blue moon I put the sheets of leather down and dust off my paint brushes... I'm always a bit skeptical of my ability when it comes to painting... this one came out pretty decent though.. Hoping the customer is pleased as well...

I see that there is some interest and also some concern regarding size. So in my travels in this universe I have probably cast a dozen different versions of Ford / Indy for myself, for toy companies as paint tests, for tests before production runs or for clients who make short runs to the collectors community. My point in mentioning that is that they are all subtly different in quality, likeness, scale, design for kit or model etc.

So with all that in mind, if the community at large here is looking for something that has not already been done and the numbers are sufficient to warrant it, I will be happy to oblige in putting it together. So I likely made the head you are mentioning but would need a quality reference shot to ensure I pull the right head from my vault as reference. Then to answer the overall question, yes I can shrink the original hat everyone loves to match the scale.

I see that there is some interest and also some concern regarding size. So in my travels in this universe I have probably cast a dozen different versions of Ford / Indy for myself, for toy companies as paint tests, for tests before production runs or for clients who make short runs to the collectors community. My point in mentioning that is that they are all subtly different in quality, likeness, scale, design for kit or model etc.

So with all that in mind, if the community at large here is looking for something that has not already been done and the numbers are sufficient to warrant it, I will be happy to oblige in putting it together. So I likely made the head you are mentioning but would need a quality reference shot to ensure I pull the right head from my vault as reference. Then to answer the overall question, yes I can shrink the original hat everyone loves to match the scale.

Good news indeed!!

Excellent news! Thanks.

I understand there is some interest in my original Indy stuff. Specifically the fedoras.

Just to be clear, my normal services are mostly small custom runs of customer's unique original pieces. I do however still offer some of my own original pieces from time to time or as requested.

Regarding the Indy parts I have made several parts over the years. I have two different hats - a Raiders style and a TOD style. I also have the Idol, Grail cup and Grail Tablet. There is also three different versions of the head that were offered over the years.

If there is enough interest I will dust off the masters of the hat(s) and make fresh molds to ensure first gen quality and not re-cast or old worn out garbage.

I don't have a lot of time to spend on the boards but I will try to check back in when I can. If this gets 10 -15 serious interests then I will get things rolling for some stuff. You guys can poke Michael if I don't check back quick enough ;) (Michael, I dub thee 'short term emissary' - or is that 'short round emissary').

Thanks
Lonnie
Tk570

Good god, is this Lonnie Hale? If so, been many years since I spoke to you. Hope you're doing well, and happy to see you back.

Finally got around to starting the paint on the Jnix sculpt.....got to say, I'm pretty impressed with it.

This is very much still just a work in progress, but there is certainly a decent Raiders Harrison likeness there.....

lpg0e9S.jpg

Hi Zed, and for other folks too. I'm planning to try upgrading the Hot Toys shirt with these small buttons, as it makes such a nice improvement. What brand or type of fabric glue do people recommend for something like this? Also, is there a place to find these tiny buttons?

Back