1/6 Indy Customizations: Image Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Get that one if you can, blows the TOD away.

Eh... I wouldn't say it blows the TOD head away, I'd maybe call it about even. Both have some issues.

Yes, the paint apps on this eBay head are gorgeous, and everyone's giddy and in shock (hey, it looks better than Sideshow's factory apps!:slap:lol) - but the MJ sculpt to me was never as good likeness-wise as a custom head like Ingiou V1 - that Ingiou head with these eBay apps would have been a "blows the TOD away" head to me. I haven't loved any of the Ingiou paint-ups so far.

The MJ one looks very nice but it just doesn't really nail ROTLA Indy to me, though from certain angles it has a lot of HF and as a sculpt it's beautifully detailed. But likeness-wise when I first saw it painted up, the MJ almost had a blend of a young Spielberg, a younger Sean Penn, and HF.

And the size is still an issue - the hat it comes with, and even the HT hat to some degree, look a tad too small. Maybe a modded SSC hat with taller crown might nail it.

By the way... are we safe to discuss a eBay recast head here? Isn't it against forum policy to do that? Everyone conveniently ignored the comment I made before about being viciously attacked for even mentioning a recast head in the past, but... isn't it against the rules or something?

I don't get the recast debate here. I understand for a licensed item of course. There's custom section here offering sculpts, clothing sets, and just about everything else that infringes on intellectual properties left and right yet totally acceptable. What's the harm in a recast on an unauthorized likeness sculpt of Harrison Ford? I get that it's a kick in the stones to the artist but you leave yourself open doing unlicensed work. I'm curious, what was the average price for the original sculpt with paint work? Just generally if anyone has a guess.

Last edited:
Yeah I paid full MJ prices for 2 of the originals (in support of the artisr) so I don't feel as bad picking up a recast.

Is there a remote chance these "recasts" are approved by the sculptor and perhaps they receive compensation? Maybe they wait until a run is completed and allow them access to the master?

Eh... I wouldn't say it blows the TOD head away, I'd maybe call it about even. Both have some issues.

Yes, the paint apps on this eBay head are gorgeous, and everyone's giddy and in shock (hey, it looks better than Sideshow's factory apps!:slap:lol) - but the MJ sculpt to me was never as good likeness-wise as a custom head like Ingiou V1 - that Ingiou head with these eBay apps would have been a "blows the TOD away" head to me. I haven't loved any of the Ingiou paint-ups so far.

The MJ one looks very nice but it just doesn't really nail ROTLA Indy to me, though from certain angles it has a lot of HF and as a sculpt it's beautifully detailed. But likeness-wise when I first saw it painted up, the MJ almost had a blend of a young Spielberg, a younger Sean Penn, and HF.

And the size is still an issue - the hat it comes with, and even the HT hat to some degree, look a tad too small. Maybe a modded SSC hat with taller crown might nail it.

Agreed. All things considered, I think I'd still rather have the TOD head. The MJ looks great from an angle, but straight on it just doesn't work nearly as well for me (large size, eyes too close together, goofy expression, etc). The TOD might have a slightly more generic likeness, but everything's much better proportioned and the serious expression works a lot better as well.

Regardless of people's preference, the last year has been a banner one for Indy head sculpts. Between the custom sculpts, ToD and new MJ recast, there's a ton more to choose from to make a great custom 1/6 Indy.

I don't get the recast debate here. I understand for a licensed item of course. There's custom section here offering sculpts, clothing sets, and just about everything else that infringes on intellectual properties left and right yet totally acceptable. What's the harm in a recast on an unauthorized likeness sculpt of Harrison Ford? I get that it's a kick in the stones to the artist but you leave yourself open doing unlicensed work. I'm curious, what was the average price for the original sculpt with paint work? Just generally if anyone has a guess.

:goodpost: This is spot-on.

This longtime member on here tried to rip me a new one simply for barely mentioning a recast. Then... I posted a link to where he had recast a Sideshow head years earlier for a custom project and was selling them. And then the debate mysteriously disappeared.:rotfl

The vibe I get on here is that it's "unofficially tolerated."

Is there a remote chance these "recasts" are approved by the sculptor and perhaps they receive compensation? Maybe they wait until a run is completed and allow them access to the master?

I was thinking this too. I'm guessing if that is the case, he wouldn't let it be known.

The question becomes - if they can do this (limited run, high quality apps) - why can't MJ just get in contact and sell all his sculpts this way? He probably could have sold 500 of these all up for $50 a pop. No idea what the costs involved are, but that's $25K.

Agreed. All things considered, I think I'd still rather have the TOD head. The MJ looks great from an angle, but straight on it just doesn't work nearly as well for me (large size, eyes too close together, goofy expression, etc). The TOD might have a slightly more generic likeness, but everything's much better proportioned and the serious expression works a lot better as well.

The SSC TOD isn't great either (stock I mean) - it's slightly too puffy or something and is also about 10% underscale - but the MJ was just not quite as good of an all-round likeness as the SSC TOD or the Ingiou to me, despite being in some ways a more detailed sculpt than both (the Ingiou has a slight caricature aspect to it, and SSC's sculpts still lack very fine detail.) You did nail some key issues with the MJ sculpt - eyes too close together and the goofy expression.

I think people are just bowled over by the quality of the eBay apps - and rightly so. Sideshow have the audacity to charge $240 to nearly $300 for figures with headsculpt apps that are below the quality on an eBay recast.

I really do like the MJ a lot, and the quality of the recast is rather shocking, but there is still something much more "Raiders" about the TOD sculpt. I really am having trouble deciding.

When it's all said and done I'll have three complete Indys.

One as the definitive Raiders Indy using the MJ style head. With Mfisher leather goods, hopefully a Kato Jacket, rest HT on a Banner body.

One as a definitive TOD (SS with Rahmier repaint)

One as a standard HT/SS hybrid until they do an official Last Crusand version.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Haha, 'completed' - yeah right. :lol When are these things ever completed?
But thanks Greg, you're right. Been upgrading and updating this figure for 8 years now, have tried all manner of heads and clothing combinations, paint jobs and gear. It's a one of my hobbies, there's no feeling like getting the latest upgrade in the post and having an opportunity to indulge in some 'arts and crafts'
Here's a couple of photos of my custom along it's journey:
Untitled-4a.jpg

DSCF1978.jpg

P1010057.jpg

5BE1C856-BFD5-41BD-B6EA-27545BD53887-8981-0000095050143D8F_zpsba291d2c.jpg

IMGP5080_zpszuyc95ca.jpg

Firstly, let me say that it's been great watching you develop all these customs! Did you keep all the iterations intact or did you dismantle each as you developed the next figure? I think it would be great to see them all on a shelf!

By the way... are we safe to discuss a eBay recast head here? Isn't it against forum policy to do that? Everyone conveniently ignored the comment I made before about being viciously attacked for even mentioning a recast head in the past, but... isn't it against the rules or something?

I agree. No doubt that is an incredible paint job for a mass produced bootleg, which also annoys me that Sideshow still struggles to find a good factory to do their sculpts (although I really do think the ToD Indy is close to HT standards). I mean, if a bootlegger found a great factory, why can't Sideshow?

Unfortunately I'm not sold on the sculpt (I pretty much agree with all criticisms) otherwise I absolutely would have gotten one.

The question becomes - if they can do this (limited run, high quality apps) - why can't MJ just get in contact and sell all his sculpts this way? He probably could have sold 500 of these all up for $50 a pop. No idea what the costs involved are, but that's $25K.

Excellent point! :goodpost: But I imagine it is a lot of money to pay for the initial run in a factory and MJ simply didn't have the money. It's unfortunate because then this other bootlegger ends up profiting from his work.

Saddens me to see so much support for this recast. Not judging anyone, I know recasting is a really grey area and know that customizing is an expensive hobby that not everyone wants to pay for. Plus other reasons I'm sure. I rather not even get into it.

Just saddens me reading all this. :(

Firstly, let me say that it's been great watching you develop all these customs! Did you keep all the iterations intact or did you dismantle each as you developed the next figure? I think it would be great to see them all

Thanks Lu! It's been an enjoyable journey. One which is still ongoing.
Unfortunately there isn't an archive of the iterations, it's a constant process which involves replacing parts. Some of which have gone on to other homes. I could possibly put together the first version again though if I put my mind to it.

Whatever, since I have MJ's original I can confirm that it is roughly 10% smaller and that the paint apps are top notch. Sorry if I broke the rules but this an FYI for others.

Whatever, since I have MJ's original I can confirm that it is roughly 10% smaller and that the paint apps are top notch. Sorry if I broke the rules but this an FYI for others.

Do you mean original is smaller, or that one recasted?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That would put it in line with the MJ one Marf shrunk which would make it the perfect size. This is becoming quite a prospect and I just hope there's another run.

Back