1/6 Indy Customizations: Image Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brighter lighting usually is best for showing off paint work and small details overhead lighting can obscure those details and cast Shadows

Brighter lighting usually is best for showing off paint work and small details overhead lighting can obscure those details and cast Shadows

When you're up for $200-300 for a head, the more pics/angles/lighting the better.

Rob, thanks for posting the side by side photo's, much appreciated. I wouldn't say that one is better than the other, just different.

9f73156079d44c76eeb6e6ada5ed00cd.jpg

Those painted recasts on eBay are okay but seem a little expensive for what they are. At $40 plus shipping, you could almost get the new SSC TOD head for that.

Those painted recasts on eBay are okay but seem a little expensive for what they are. At $40 plus shipping, you could almost get the new SSC TOD head for that.

I keep hearing from people that those heads on eBay are recasts but what head is it a recast of? And what does the original one look like. Because I just got mine yesterday and it looks pretty good in person. I'll try and take a pic of it

It's a recast of the original Sideshow Indy from 2008:

View attachment 252256

Oh yes I see now after googling it. That original sculpt I've seen repainted on the forum here is actually really good. It was the production paint that wasn't great at all.

Here is the one I just picked up on eBay still think it's a very nice alternative. Also have the new SS TOD Indy figure to use parts from as well:

image (1).jpg
image (2).jpg
image (3).jpg
image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    190.8 KB · Views: 305
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    188.9 KB · Views: 308
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    197.1 KB · Views: 306
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    226.2 KB · Views: 313
The main problem with those heads is the price. The original SSC heads sell for $15-25 when they come up and while these knockoffs have slightly better paint (only really skin tone - better than the monochromatic orange of the original) they're not a major improvement over the original and they're double the price... and they're knockoffs. While those few paint details are slightly better, the stubble looks like charcoal with some big black dots.

The main problem with those heads is the price. The original SSC heads sell for $15-25 when they come up and while these knockoffs have slightly better paint (only really skin tone - better than the monochromatic orange of the original) they're not a major improvement over the original and they're double the price... and they're knockoffs. While those few paint details are slightly better, the stubble looks like charcoal with some big black dots.

I don't disagree with you at all $40 this head is a bit pricey to say the least. And $15-25 is definitely a better buy price wise but from the looks of that head I really dislike the paint on that one. Unfortunately, with this character specifically there is not a large spread of options to choose from when your trying to get a reasonably good resemblance while not breaking the bank in the process. You go from this $40 head up to $200-300 for one of the high end versions we all know. This hobby being what it is is an expensive indulgence by all of us and a test for the threshold of pain your willing to cross financially to get the results you want. Would I like to be able to have a fantastic sculpt by Inigo or MJ? Surely. But with time and money spent acquiring it and finding someone to paint it (I'm a Product Designer and love to draw/create things, but sculpture painting is just something I've never embraced) it far exceeds the amount I would want to put into a figure. I really admire all of the work that people do into customizing their figures to make them uniquely awesome whether its the head or any little details that bring the figure to life. And of course that's just my digression/opinion. In the end I completely agree with you I wish there were more options available that balance out the price/quality/likeness categories. But for now, the old SS head repaint knockoff I think is a pretty decent likeness that until something better comes along at a more affordable price that'll be it for me. The main reason I actually bought this head was that I was able to acquire a DX-05 body with clothing very inexpensive and wanted to have a 2nd representation of Indy for my collection. I just got the SS TOD figure about a week ago and I love it. I think the likeness on that and paint are very decent. But of course now that people seem to be embracing that sculpt it seems to disappear as fast as it shows up anywhere. So can't really win lol. I eventually might just take the new TOD head and put it on my DX-05 Indy body and leave the knock off for the other body. But I'll post pics of everything when I have it setup!

I just remembered I took some test pictures of the recast and the new TOD body, here are 2 pics (and yes the skin tones totally don't match lol):

IMG_6844.jpg
IMG_6847.jpg

Some more upgrades to my trio. Full mfisher belt-holster-whip for ROTLA Indy, Vignette Collectibles belt & holster + mfisher whip for TLC Indy and the Hot Toys belt & holster + mfisher whip for TOD Indy (the HT holster much closely resembles the TOD holster anyway). Eventually they will all have Inigo headsculpts, so should look really nice! I also did some custom weathering on a spare pair of Hot Toys Alden boots and put them on ROTLA Indy and I will be replacing his satchel with the DID Coleman bag, once I receive my leather strap from Mike Fisher. Feeling happy!image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Back