1/6 Hot Toys - MMS745/745B - Episode III: Revenge of The Sith - Darth Sidious

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very specific to that one promo shot and while not 100 % accurate I think it looks quite good. Not a bad sculpt I'd say. Hood seems a bit oversized though.

Very specific to that one promo shot and while not 100 % accurate I think it looks quite good. Not a bad sculpt I'd say. Hood seems a bit oversized though.
No, I think it fits...

Attachments

• 8d27194eecd47c8101f5e009a7b4d567.jpeg
    8d27194eecd47c8101f5e009a7b4d567.jpeg
    33 KB · Views: 0
The problem is the smile is too wide, the promo shot is deceptive. The way they've sculpted the mouth is too extreme.

I've photoshopped the image to expose more of the detail of the mouth and its clear whats happened is they've misinterpreted the shadows for the length of his open mouth.

Emperor Test 2.jpg

It's seemingly not that big a deal, but at any other angle you see how it throws the sculpt off significantly, essentially because his smile is wider on the sculpt than he can physically make it in real life.

To illustrate this further, I've made a GIF:

ZJLHGV5.gif

You can see that the mouth is nearly touching his cheeks whereas in reality there's meant to be an additional mouth fold.

Emperor Test 3.jpg

There is no frame in Revenge of the Sith where his mouth extends to the degree that is shown in the Hot Toy which is partly why some of us have been thrown off the sculpt. This is just the mouth I'm focusing on so there might be further inaccuracies (eye colour is wrong (orange instead of yellow), eye shadow is wrong (meant to be clearly defined), face isn't fat enough, and its giving off a demonic/the Joker vibe which Palpatine/ Sidious never really had).

Attachments

• Emperor-Comparison-GIF.gif
    Emperor-Comparison-GIF.gif
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
The problem is the smile is too wide, the promo shot is deceptive. The way they've sculpted the mouth is too extreme.

I've photoshopped the image to expose more of the detail of the mouth and its clear whats happened is they've misinterpreted the shadows for the length of his open mouth.

View attachment 703449

It's seemingly not that big a deal, but at any other angle you see how it throws the sculpt off significantly, essentially because his smile is wider on the sculpt than he can physically make it in real life.

ZJLHGV5.gif

You can see that the mouth is nearly touching his cheeks whereas in reality there's meant to be an additional mouth fold.

View attachment 703451

There is no frame in Revenge of the Sith where his mouth extends to the degree that is shown in the Hot Toy which is partly why some of us have been thrown off the sculpt. This is just the mouth I'm focusing on so there might be further inaccuracies.
Wow, that makes a huge difference. I'm hoping this can get passed along to Hot Toys so they can adjust the sculpt.

That probably won't happen. Not with Hot Toys. They don't take feedback because they simply don't care and will release it as is.
Agreed. That’s not a thing in their company culture usually. Sometimes, but you can’t rely on it.

View attachment 703449

ZJLHGV5.gif

View attachment 703451

There is no frame in Revenge of the Sith where his mouth extends to the degree that is shown in the Hot Toy which is partly why some of us have been thrown off the sculpt. This is just the mouth I'm focusing on so there might be further inaccuracies (eye colour is wrong (orange instead of yellow), eye shadow is wrong (meant to be clearly defined), face isn't fat enough, and its giving off a demonic/the Joker vibe which Palpatine/ Sidious never really had).
First of all, thank you for the comparison, your efforts and explanation. WOW! I have a lot of Hot Toys figures, but I've never really dealt with them that much. Of course it's obvious with one or two figures and I notice it too, but otherwise I see the collectible figure and think it's either good or not good. To be honest, I still really like this version of the Emperor. It's probably also because, sorry, I'm not a Star Wars fan. Still want an Emperor in my collection.

Here's another quick comparison I did. I photoshopped some changes onto the Hot Toys, namely how the mouth smiles, the eyes etc.:

8UV5hzD.gif

Again, it's obviously not a perfect edit, it's just to capture the current issues. But hopefully this demonstrates the "cartoony" look the current Hot Toy prototype has.
In this comparison there is a big difference to be honest. Still, the head sculpt is fantastic I think. But it's really crazy, I really don't pay attention to something like that. If I like a villain from Hot Toys for my collection, I'll buy it.

That is gold :rotfl

No no of course not. Star Wars is a different things to different people. I was literally just wondering what SW you do like since I've never seen anyone dislike both the PT and OT
Also I think I misread your initial comment as PT and OT. That explains my confusions. Apologies
No worries. Ultimately at his point, when you analyze the current state and what has been done to so many characters and stories, Star Wars is a dead franchise (thanks KK and Disney) but it is nice to reminisce. For as goofy as that last lightsaber scene with Yoda the Frog was, I always liked the laughing maniacal Emperor, who was the only Sith (or Jedi for that matter) who seemed to have any fun at all. It's why this sculpt is great. Again, add in that straight up laughing sculpt and this would be a total home run IMO. Clearly other peoples' mileage may vary. :ROFLMAO:

No worries. Ultimately at his point, when you analyze the current state and what has been done to so many characters and stories, Star Wars is a dead franchise (thanks KK and Disney) but it is nice to reminisce. For as goofy as that last lightsaber scene with Yoda the Frog was, I always liked the laughing maniacal Emperor, who was the only Sith (or Jedi for that matter) who seemed to have any fun at all. It's why this sculpt is great. Again, add in that straight up laughing sculpt and this would be a total home run IMO. Clearly other peoples' mileage may vary. :ROFLMAO:
Agreed. I know theres still hope and I can choose to see that new Star Wars means something to new fans but not necessarily me, that's fine. I do think KK and her elk are a problem for content, as is Disney.
I really enjoy Dave Filonis content for the most part.

Agree on that too. He's such a standout amongst the other Sith characters in almost all media. The performance is ROTS is so great because of the maniacal nature of the performance, like the OH face when Yoda turns his lightning back and his pretend weakling "no please dont kill me" :lol

With the other Sith I can always quote Deadpool. "Whats it gonna be? Mean comment or long solemn silence?"

Agreed. I know theres still hope and I can choose to see that new Star Wars means something to new fans but not necessarily me, that's fine. I do think KK and her elk are a problem for content, as is Disney.
I really enjoy Dave Filonis content for the most part.

Agree on that too. He's such a standout amongst the other Sith characters in almost all media. The performance is ROTS is so great because of the maniacal nature of the performance, like the OH face when Yoda turns his lightning back and his pretend weakling "no please dont kill me" :lol

With the other Sith I can always quote Deadpool. "Whats it gonna be? Mean comment or long solemn silence?"
McDiarmid, IMO, absolutely carries that last movie. Once they killed off Christopher Lee, Ian was the only reason to keep watching. He seemed to be having a lot of fun, and that is just enjoyable to watch. Fun villains are great.

Here's another quick comparison I did. I photoshopped some changes onto the Hot Toys, namely how the mouth smiles, the eyes etc.:

8UV5hzD.gif

Again, it's obviously not a perfect edit, it's just to capture the current issues. But hopefully this demonstrates the "cartoony" look the current Hot Toy prototype has.
Well illustrated man. @HyperDrive check this out.

These figures are always subjective and there have been plenty of figures I’ve viscerally disliked that are gems of another collector’s shelf.

I’m a giant Palps fan and eagerly look for any 1:6 announcement of his character in all eras. For me, both the hot toys ROTJ and this ROTS sculpt have been misses. They aren’t at the level of accuracy for which I appreciate hot toys and am willing to invest in.

It’s also disappointing that they’re reusing the same costume from the Clone Wars version. I might’ve overlooked the problems I have with this sculpt if they had used his chancellor costume from the Windu fight instead (unlimited POWAHHHH). That would have been an INSTANT double buy for me so I could switch costumes with the clone wars figure, recreating that old SSC set.

I’m still waiting for one that tops my repainted SSC ROTJ, and this one just ain’t it. The wait continues.

8UV5hzD.gif

I'll concede that this is an improvement, but he can definitely smile wider than that.

giphy.gif

Last edited:

8UV5hzD.gif

This is perfection. Its a MASSIVE shame that Hot Toys will never see this and we'll likely get a downgraded version of what we already see.

8UV5hzD.gif

That looks fantastic. It's too bad that Hot Toys doesn't take feedback on sculpts. I hope they still adjust the sculpt anyhow, and if they do, they should fix the color of the robes too. According to Trisha Biggar's costume book, they're elephant-gray.

20240519_123034.jpg

20240519_123048.jpg

The gray is more apparent when seeing the costume in person. This reddish brown color Hot Toys is using is way off. Looks like Sideshow got it right on their version.

70763135_c83f13ee93_o.jpg

Back