1/6 Hot Toys MMS699 & MMS700 ROTJ Darth Vader

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ah I see it now, it's definitely his waist/ab area and the shoulders. For whatever reason the Kenobi Vader looks better, I read somewhere that it's cause that is actually based off of the RO Vader while this is just the ESB release, but not sure if true since this will be my first 1/6 Vader
Yes, RO Vader (and now Kenobi Vader) is generally well proportioned all around. They only difference in terms of the suit itself between this ROTJ Vader figure and the ESB one that I can see currently is the chest box being accurate to their respective movies. Otherwise, this figure is basically the ESB one with a severed hand, ROTJ lightsaber and full Shaw headsculpt and is suffering from the same proportion issues that the ESB one did.

Last edited:
New Shaw sculpt is fantastic but so far it appears they rehash the ESB helm instead of just shrink their quarter scale rotj helmet, as to why the mind boggles. The helmet is by far the most important part if they hope to get people to double (triple/quadruple and up for some!) dip.
And the Shaw head, despite being such a good sculpt will most likely go back in the box as I would not display it neither with that nor the lightbulb head.

From the experts among you, how does this stand up against my old MMS279 with R1 gloves?

I have an even older Sideshow Deluxe Vader too.

CDZZYp3.jpg
Culture-Success-Meme-Kid.jpg

From the experts among you, how does this stand up against my old MMS279 with R1 gloves?

I still love my ANH bash on display.

HT ESB was a bit of a disappointment, as it should have been the best Vader.

HT ROTJ gets more slack from me because I don't really like ROTJ too much anymore... but I would like a Vader from the three original movies. I would absolutely pose this Vader with the Shaw head (although not in dying mode).

I had planned to use my reward points to maybe get the crack-head Vader from OWK, but ROTJ means more to me and the OWK show was just so horrible all around that I don't feel like having a representation of it on my shelves (as cool as the half-exposed face is).

I still love my ANH bash on display.

HT ESB was a bit of a disappointment, as it should have been the best Vader.

HT ROTJ gets more slack from me because I don't really like ROTJ too much anymore... but I would like a Vader from the three original movies. I would absolutely pose this Vader with the Shaw head (although not in dying mode).

I had planned to use my reward points to maybe get the crack-head Vader from OWK, but ROTJ means more to me and the OWK show was just so horrible all around that I don't feel like having a representation of it on my shelves (as cool as the half-exposed face is).
Thanks, Wor. I'm really on the fence. I'm not nitpicky with Vader, as he's so recognisable anyway, but wondered if this was a HUGE step up from my ANH Vader, then I'd get it. Seems like this is just an ESB revamped from other comments.

Thanks, Wor. I'm really on the fence. I'm not nitpicky with Vader, as he's so recognisable anyway, but wondered if this was a HUGE step up from my ANH Vader, then I'd get it. Seems like this is just an ESB revamped from other comments.
If space and money are a thing then:

If you’re an OT purist then priority for me goes like this:

ANH Vader and ESB are the two must owns.

ANH first appearance.
ESB super bad ass.

Bonus Reason: Both have different aesthetics.

If I have space and money for a third then
unmasked Shaw will always come before OW Vader.

Only if I have space and money for a fourth will I then buy OW Vader which no doubt is amazing.

It is a nice figure, but indeed the helmet is reused from ESB. I hope HT to upgrade it before production, but it might not happen. If you like ROTJ and this figures' extras, get it. This might be the last true OT Vader figure made by HT

If space and money are a thing then:

If you’re an OT purist then priority for me goes like this:

ANH Vader and ESB are the two must owns.

ANH first appearance.
ESB super bad ass.

Bonus Reason: Both have different aesthetics.

If I have space and money for a third then
unmasked Shaw will always come before OW Vader.

Only if I have space and money for a fourth will I then buy OW Vader which no doubt is amazing.
It is a nice figure, but indeed the helmet is reused from ESB. I hope HT to upgrade it before production, but it might not happen. If you like ROTJ and this figures' extras, get it. This might be the last true OT Vader figure made by HT
Thanks so much for both of these replies.

Space and money aren’t an issue.

Even though I love the OT and dislike everything that came after, you’d think I’d notice the difference between all the Vaders in the films, but I admit that I don’t look that closely. I’ve so far avoided that rabbit hole because I can get really obsessive. I steer clear of doing that as much as possible these days because it’s unhealthy for me and just enjoy the figures and films.

I bought the R1 gloves for the ANH Vader as someone suggested they help improve the figure. I skipped ESB Vader, so have also avoided the completist monster.

I like the bald Anakin sculpt, but can’t see that I’d display him. Well, not without getting another RTJ Luke.

That being said, I’m still on the fence :lol

I have an even older Sideshow Deluxe Vader too.
I've done this with my MMS279 and that alone is enough to make it better. I also think the proportions are better there than the ESB/ROTJ so I would say what you have stacks up pretty nicely as is. Really comes down to what you want for your display. I plan on getting this to mod with the Sideshow ROTJ Vader unless HT ends up making me not have to.

But if you want to go further with your MMS279, I included the RO belt (modded to fit tighter), RO boots (kept ANH shin armor though) and chestbox. Also, did the JazzInc helmet mod per his YouTube tutorial and took the wire out of the inner robes. Lastly, but maybe not completely necessary, I have a real leather jump suit.

So with all that, I can't see myself getting rid of the MMS279 in favor of one of HT stock offerings, but instead to add to the display. But if I could only have one, I'd keep the modded MMS279 and pick up a parted out OWK cracked helmet headsculpt since those suits are fairly similar to each other.

Yes, RO Vader (and now Kenobi Vader) is generally well proportioned all around. They only difference in terms of the suit itself between this ROTJ Vader figure and the ESB one that I can see currently is the chest box being accurate to their respective movies. Otherwise, this figure is basically the ESB one with a severed hand, ROTJ lightsaber and full Shaw headsculpt and is suffering from the same proportion issues that the ESB one did.
Man that's a big shame seeing how amazing their 1/4 Vader is. I guess my best bet will be getting both the Kenobi and this version

I find it weird that Sebastian Shaw gets no mention in the specs for this figure nor for the quarter scale. Even a figure like Tarkin credits the likeness of Peter Cushing. Presumably because of the makeup they can get away with it.

I've done this with my MMS279 and that alone is enough to make it better. I also think the proportions are better there than the ESB/ROTJ so I would say what you have stacks up pretty nicely as is. Really comes down to what you want for your display. I plan on getting this to mod with the Sideshow ROTJ Vader unless HT ends up making me not have to.

But if you want to go further with your MMS279, I included the RO belt (modded to fit tighter), RO boots (kept ANH shin armor though) and chestbox. Also, did the JazzInc helmet mod per his YouTube tutorial and took the wire out of the inner robes. Lastly, but maybe not completely necessary, I have a real leather jump suit.

So with all that, I can't see myself getting rid of the MMS279 in favor of one of HT stock offerings, but instead to add to the display. But if I could only have one, I'd keep the modded MMS279 and pick up a parted out OWK cracked helmet headsculpt since those suits are fairly similar to each other.

Who made your leather suit, if you dont mind me asking

Who made your leather suit, if you dont mind me asking
It was by Rise Customs. They did 2 runs of jumpsuit replacements for many different Vaders— 4 from HT (ANH, ESB, RO & 1/4 ROTJ) Sideshow (deluxe and ROTJ) and even one for the old Medicom Vaders. They said they weren’t going to do any more runs as they wanted to focus on other stuff, but I have yet to see them do anything really new. I think it’s the best thing they’ve made personally, since it actually fits the body correctly. I have their Indy Raiders outfit, Han Solo replacement real leather boots and their Winter Soldier replacement shirt and vest—none of those fit well at all and were a bit of a down grade from their original protos unfortunately .

Thanks so much for both of these replies.

Space and money aren’t an issue.

Even though I love the OT and dislike everything that came after, you’d think I’d notice the difference between all the Vaders in the films, but I admit that I don’t look that closely. I’ve so far avoided that rabbit hole because I can get really obsessive. I steer clear of doing that as much as possible these days because it’s unhealthy for me and just enjoy the figures and films.

I bought the R1 gloves for the ANH Vader as someone suggested they help improve the figure. I skipped ESB Vader, so have also avoided the completist monster.

I like the bald Anakin sculpt, but can’t see that I’d display him. Well, not without getting another RTJ Luke.

That being said, I’m still on the fence :lol
You are one of the few! Glad to hear that :yess::clap

I wish I had gotten that 1/4 , I hope they make another one

Kenobi variant in 1/4 would be awesome
It's an incredible figure, I just never got into that scale -- and while I never personally experienced any pleather deterioration in several years of collecting, I'd be staring down that suit in paranoia on the daily. :LOL:

Back