1/6 Hot Toys - MMS681 - Episode II: Attack of The Clones - Mace Windu

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
These are professional, sculpting artists.

Do you expect me to believe, they got their jobs, sculpting THAT and passing it off as Mace?

I think not. I think that LISCENSE doesn't and never did exist. I think that's why we got this embarrassing POS being released.

HT ain't paying for SLJ likeness again. Especially with SW.

HT ain't and never will pay for Ewan McGregor likeness. Because yall will keep on buying any and everything with a "OWK" attached to it.

Tell me me I'm lieing..
You're not lying. You just don't know how licensing works. HT doesn't have to pay separately or extra for Ewan or SLJ's likeness - it's embedded within their contract to manufacture action figures with Disney/Star Wars. The bottom line royalties already include the likeness rights, which the actors signed away when they accepted the role.

Tell me I'm wrong, but I've worked in licensing for over a decade. I know this deal backwards and forwards.

You're not lying. You just don't know how licensing works. HT doesn't have to pay separately or extra for Ewan or SLJ's likeness - it's embedded within their contract

Fair.

Prove it. There's a decade+ of product that shows the opposite.

By all means..

Fair.

Prove it. There's a decade+ of product that shows the opposite.

By all means..
Google it yourself if you actually want to learn. I can't send you a copy of the contract. Carrie Fisher herself is on record saying she had zero approvals.

You can dislike the figure all you want, but it has nothing to do with an imaginary license dispute you've created just to have something to blame. It's a sub-par sculpt. It happens.

Google it yourself if you actually want to learn. I can't send you a copy of the contract. Carrie Fisher herself is on record saying she had zero approvals.

You can dislike the figure all you want, but it has nothing to do with an imaginary license dispute you've created just to have something to blame. It's a sub-par sculpt. It happens.
Sir, I collect SW merch.

Idk what angle you're coming from but I don't need to sit here and attempt to prove what is blatenly obvious.

You're argument is based on "haters, with an imagery dislike" from my perspective. That's fine.

Far be it for me to sit here and go back and forth with you on this. The end product speaks for itself. Does it not?

But I'm sure those numbers work out just fine for everyone, eh?

Sir, I collect SW merch.

Idk what angle you're coming from but I don't need to sit here and attempt to prove what is blatenly obvious.

You're argument is based on "haters, with an imagery dislike" from my perspective. That's fine.

Far be it for me to sit here and go back and forth with you on this. The end product speaks for itself. Does it not?

But I'm sure those numbers work out just fine for everyone, eh?
You definitely have it all figured out, that's for sure. :rolleyes:

I can't believe how bad the sculpt is tbh, as of late HTs have really flattened the curve with their sculpts and I've found them to be very consistent, this is a big step backwards
No way, it's a pretty cool looking figure & any fool knows that's Sam Jackson. I'll enjoy putting it in my cool collection 👍

Looks better here...still not great though, they botched this one badly.

Love the look of all the armored Jedi together though.

It looks pretty decent in that video. Again, at viewing distance I think I’ll be happy with this. I do like the vanbraces for the CW look… sculpt looked a bit better in the video with some more shadowing evident.

Same, and god knows if/when we'll get another Mace.

No way, it's a pretty cool looking figure & any fool knows that's Sam Jackson. I'll enjoy putting it in my cool collection 👍
They only know because of context with the outfit and saber, that that head in isolation among a line up of other bald black head sculpts and very few would point him out imo

If they have secured the rights to the PT and it's anniversary, I have reason to believe that they DID NOT use his likeness for any other reason than his likeness is not part of the deal.

Which, by my mind - assuming - is another cost all on its own. Which HT foolishly decided to not pay for. Just like Ewan McGregor. Just like Mark Hamill. Just Like Liam Neeson.

These actors likeness are apparently NOT part of the license agreement. Their character is.

However, these characters are so iconic, they bank on the figs selling without that likeness.

Which absolutely, without a shadow of a doubt, is indeed true. Windu just happened to be off limits to that for some.

The SW license is so astronomically expensive, from Disney. Companies don't wanna pay for High level actor likeness rights as well on top of it.

That's my take.
That's not how it works though. These actors sign over their likeness right for merchandising when they sign on to these big franchises. Big stars, like Harrison Ford coming back for TFA, can sometimes finagle how their likeness is used. The MCU had a few actors that controlled their likeness being used on things as well once they got big enough and signed new contracts. But they do sign over their likeness rights to be a part of the franchise because the companies make so much off merchandise sales.

Hot Toys has the right to use Jackson's likeness. They just didn't do a good job.

That's not how it works though. These actors sign over their likeness right for merchandising when they sign on to these big franchises. Big stars, like Harrison Ford coming back for TFA, can sometimes finagle how their likeness is used. The MCU had a few actors that controlled their likeness being used on things as well once they got big enough and signed new contracts. But they do sign over their likeness rights to be a part of the franchise because the companies make so much off merchandise sales.

Hot Toys has the right to use Jackson's likeness. They just didn't do a good job.
I’ve said this over and over, but there are some pretty obstinate folks here that just refuse to accept reality.

Surprising absolutely no one there's people grossly exaggerating how inaccurate the sculpt is and then there's Mr. Pretentious Twat I mean Mr. "Awesome" still spinning in circles trying to make some bizarre argument over licensing...

Like Jesus Christ. It's not a perfect sculpt, but it's not horrible, it's very clearly Sam Jackson. Feels like the lot of you are just trying to poison collecting with nonstop outrage culture.

There’s a reason this board is dying. The hostility is ridiculous. People here are so quick to make every figure the worst thing ever upon release. It’s not everyone but man it’s really like some people don’t enjoy this hobby.

This sculpt is a far cry from perfect but it’s not so bad it’s the abomination some are implying.

IMG_5167.gif

There’s a reason this board is dying. The hostility is ridiculous. People here are so quick to make every figure the worst thing ever upon release. It’s not everyone but man it’s really like some people don’t enjoy this hobby.

This sculpt is a far cry from perfect but it’s not so bad it’s the abomination some are implying.
I think you're implying that folks like myself that are "hostile" about huge inaccuracies based on dolls that cost multiple hundreds of dollars, are some kind of vocal loud mouths on these boards.

I think that is exactly what you're saying.

Don't like what ya reading? Yeah, life's rough. Ban us, I guess?

Lots of stuff I read on here I don't agree with. I don't make a post about it or take some kind of stand against it.

I don't draw a line in the sand. And trust me, I got NO frens round here. I know that.

But it's a great place to offer opinions. Gotta take it for what it is, man.

Looks good to me and they did get some things right - the skin colour, the bald head and the colour (purple) of the lightsaber.
Yeah good enough for me. Its not perfect but I'm happy to at least have a Mace Windu for my collection

They didn't carry the prototype quality to production but then again some of these photos don't use good lighting or angles on these older sculpts. I'll reserve true judgement until I have it in hand

Back