1/6 1/6: Hot Toys - MMS470 - Black Panther - New Black Panther Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't think it is the lighting...

FB_IMG_1548352743860.jpg

Figure looks good to me; headsculpt does seem to have suffered in production, which is a pity. I’ll have to see it in-hand personally but it’s not looking great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What the heck happened to the headsculpt??? I was super pumped about this release, mainly because of the headsculpt, and when I was swiping through the photos on Insta my first reaction was whoa...did we just get IW Cap'd again???

I will reserve judgment for now as I need to see some in-hand YouTube reviews, but as of right now I am very disappointed by the step back with the likeness for the headsculpt. The prototype looks miles better! There's definitely something off with the eyes...also they decided to go LESS detailed with the hair texture. Also, the fact that I'm seeing other people comment about how the likeness is off means it's not only me.

Not a bad sculpt. Just the prototype looked like a photograph of Chadwick Boseman.

Still a nice figure overall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't know if this has been said or not but his pecs and arms seem bigger compared to the prototype ??

That certainly looks better to me. Proto looked too skinny and pecs too rectangular.

marvel-black-panther-sixth-scale-figure-hot-toys-903380-05.jpgFB_IMG_1548330424846.jpg

Panther looks great! On J.C. Hong's instagram, it really shows the best pictures of him. I ate the Photoshop photos on HT's FB, just doesn't show the true look of the figure. I think the sculpt looks good and the body is even better now.

Don't know if this has been said or not but his pecs and arms seem bigger compared to the prototype ??

That certainly looks better to me. Proto looked too skinny and pecs too rectangular.

View attachment 441352View attachment 441353

These pics perfectly display the headsculpt downgrade. Hot toys just gave us that E3 Watch Dogs trailer to release day Watch Dogs downgrade with this one :lol

Did HT commission a 3rd party to do the final product of the headsculpt? The stark contrast between proto and final is glaring! :slap

It's very difficult for me to tell what went wrong with the head sculpt. If you compare the proto to the production something is clearly off, but what? The eyes? The mouth? The chin? When looked at individually each of those seem pretty close to the proto. To me this just goes to show how difficult the whole process of producing someone's likeness is. I wonder how close we were to getting a Yondu that looked considerably less like Michael Rooker.

Honestly I don’t think the prototype screams Chadwick Boseman either. If I saw the prototype head in isolation I don’t know if it would be obvious who it was meant to be. But I agree the final release is a downgrade.

Honestly I don’t think the prototype screams Chadwick Boseman either. If I saw the prototype head in isolation I don’t know if it would be obvious who it was meant to be. But I agree the final release is a downgrade.

Agreed, but it was certainly closer than the final.

It's very difficult for me to tell what went wrong with the head sculpt. If you compare the proto to the production something is clearly off, but what? The eyes? The mouth? The chin? When looked at individually each of those seem pretty close to the proto. To me this just goes to show how difficult the whole process of producing someone's likeness is. I wonder how close we were to getting a Yondu that looked considerably less like Michael Rooker.

BP_IWcompare.jpg

Not great comparison photo but unfortunately - to me - it does look like a similar issue as IW Cap. E.g, again, poorer (cheaper?) production ending up with softer, less detailed features - esp. noticeable with the BP hairline. More like a re-cast/KO. Also paint is off - proto eyebrows are heavier - hard to say what else. Eyes look like they have minimal shading if any.

Sorry to see this as wary of upcoming releases if HT keeps this up.:(

Well time to say goodbye to my Civil War version holy crap this new suit looks so much better. But idk what's up with that headsculpt. Hopefully the reviews on Youtube will clear it up.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Waiting for youtube reviews to get a clear look at headsculpt. Suit and everything else looks fantastic

That last photo you are using for comparison is horribly washed out.
If you look at the blogger pics, it is not nearly that light.

Washed out or not, the critique about the hairline still stands true. Also the hair texture just looks so much less detailed compared to the prototype.

Gonna need to see YouTube vids to clear this up, but so far this is looking like another botched release.

Cannot wait to add a key Avengers to the shelves. It is too early to complain with the lighting. I, however, will only be displaying with the Panther mask, so the headsculpt is just a bonus. That suit is looking good! Sucks for the wait from BBTS, but he will be well worth it. Hopefully TOYSTV will get a vid up quick.

I was buying BP 2.0 solely for the stellar headsculpt based on the prototype cause I think the CW suit and mask both look better...but now that the final product is a major step down in likeness I may have to take a pass on this one now...

But once again, I need to see YouTube reviews before making the final decision.

Back