1/6 Hot Toys - MMS298 - Star Wars: Episode IV - Princess Leia Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And if Leia was never captured would people be up in arms about Oola? Made to wear a skimpy costume and then fed to a monster when she wouldn't let her male captor slobber on her? Was that actress demeaned as well?

#greenlivesmatter.....
Hey don't forget Yarna!
7c5298adb00f10fc49efea3c88cb02c1.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Yes, and before we're all thrown out by the Mods for descending into endless (and pointless, because no one has ever admitted to having their minds changed on an internet post) diatribes on social issues, let me say this, just so I can sleep at night...

The entire point of the scene is that Jabba is in fact objectifying her. That's the point! And the entire point of this chapter of the movie is to show that Leia not only breaks free of it, but makes it clear what the consequences are in thinking you could possibly hold Princess Leia, of ALL people, in that position and hope to survive it.

But here's the larger point. The idea that there is no context for a woman to appear on screen in wardrobe which accentuates her natural beauty even when it fits the arc of the story, is the result of a Politically Correct world gone mad.

Why is it that in this supposedly enlightened, sensitive, open, inclusive, free identification society we're apparently building, that we seem to have fewer self-expression choices instead of more? It is the tyranny of the hyper Liberal, ultra Left which tolerates all view points, unless of course they conflict in any way with their own.

You need look no further than the phrase "white patriarchal middle class conservatism" being used as a de facto curse word. To prove the point.

Oh...and, uh...what a great figure that HT ANH Leia is, right!?

:goodpost:

100984d1431451978-slow-clap.gif

I think too many people have elevated being offended to an art form. View attachment 313903

"One last dance."

Couldn't agree more. Unfortunately for them though, these are generally the sentiments of everyone else when they claim they're offended:

f797c81eb2536104d9d5b9fa4a7fcd09d6829cebde4837d55f73a3dfcc8164a8.jpg

And great picture! Very creative. :clap

Yeah, and Mariah, J Lo, Pink, Kim K, Nicki M, Lady G, Rihanna, Beyonce and Miley - some of THE most powerful women in entertainment today (and in terms of their wealth, reach and influence, powerful in general) - are SUCH the positive post-feminist role models in their music videos and concerts (using "blatantly sexist images to support a sexist attitude"!).:lol

And yup, I attribute it all to the "epitome of white patriarchal middle class conservatism.":lecture:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl

Your high horse is lame, Lady Godiva.:slap

:rotfl :rotfl

:exactly: :goodpost: :duff

Where was all of this concern about her slave bikini over the last 30 years? Goes to show how society has changed.

Where was all of this concern about her slave bikini over the last 30 years? Goes to show how society has changed.

Carrie was alive those past 30 years. Now that she's unfortunately just passed, people are being more vociferous in clamoring that it's in total bad taste and offensive (usual knee jerk reaction immediately following an unfortunate event) to depict her as such.

And don't forget Salacious Crumb. Forced to sit naked for all to see.

And this just made me laugh my ass off, thanks Khev.

The issue of Leia in a bikini is only an issue because it's star wars. Nobody cares much about similar situations in pop culture, present or past.

If you simply do not like the scene fine, and fair enough....

But if you are deeply offended better just go sit in your safe spot. The world doesn't owe the special sensitive snowflakes a revision, an explanation, or an apology.

I will refrain from the bikini debate except to say that, although I'm fairly liberal, I think too many people have elevated being offended to an art form. There are things that should change and evolve from earlier periods of time or we would still be burning people as witches, etc. However, our very existance is (currently) predicated on us having sex and sexuality is a part of our human culture. However it came about - maybe due to childbearing/nursing or a learned impulse to caregiving - women became the more sexualized human form. We're not getting rid of sex or sexualityand I think with more women in positions of power in entertainment, etc. and a more open, yes liberal, attitude towards women expressing thier sexuality - and projecting it on men (or women) - things are already swinging toward men being more sexualized in media. I mean do you think anyone be violently offended about a Magic Mike action figure??

Anyway, bringing it back to this great-looking figure, I picked up some of the Modal Nodes over the last couple weeks and they, along with the passing of Ms. Fisher inspired this shot...

View attachment 313903

"One last dance."

Extraordinarily well said, Coma... and what a picture! The artist at work.

Not sure Carrie was that offended by it in 2005, she had this on display in her house.
e4381b1af8d1dbf1ce8f0812ff88f7ce.jpg

0af1bd371a7a5132d97063cffd6a1c92.jpg

bb3031b4290705dda6e2e13eaed15184.jpg

Wow. I was just hoping to see more pics of this figure instead I stumbled into a political debate. Lecture:)

No doubt.

Take the bikini away from the beaches and swimming pools and everyone loses their minds.

Related but not related, i'm 44 and still trying to figure out the difference between a bikini and bra and panties.

Carrie was alive those past 30 years. Now that she's unfortunately just passed, people are being more vociferous in clamoring that it's in total bad taste and offensive (usual knee jerk reaction immediately following an unfortunate event) to depict her as such.

Despite all the nerd-lecturing about narrative context and irrelevant observations about wider female representation in popular culture, you have put your finger on one of two main points about the slave scene: Fisher is now dead.

The second point: she has made it known that the shoot for her was a humiliating experience. It's not about the bikini in isolation, but the filming of that scene.

QinGong's speculation on Fisher's motives regarding the second point aside - ie given that she's no longer around to defend her position we must surely take her at her word - what it comes down to in the representation of a dead celebrity in doll form is whether one prioritises the narrative over the memory of Fisher as a person.

Personally, I wouldn't be able to enjoy a figure that portrayed Fisher - not her character - in the very scene where she felt humiliated by Lucas and the crew.

If others choose to see the costume in a purely narrative context, I'm sure they'll enjoy a Slave Leia figure on their shelf.

Despite all the nerd-lecturing about narrative context and irrelevant observations about wider female representation in popular culture, you have put your finger on one of two main points about the slave scene: Fisher is now dead.

The second point: she has made it known that the shoot for her was a humiliating experience. It's not about the bikini in isolation, but the filming of that scene.

QinGong's speculation on Fisher's motives regarding the second point aside - ie given that she's no longer around to defend her position we must surely take her at her word - what it comes down to in the representation of a dead celebrity in doll form is whether one prioritises the narrative over the memory of Fisher as a person.

Personally, I wouldn't be able to enjoy a figure that portrayed Fisher - not her character - in the very scene where she felt humiliated by Lucas and the crew.

If others choose to see the costume in a purely narrative context, I'm sure they'll enjoy a Slave Leia figure on their shelf.

She also made it known that she had no recollection WHATSOEVER of ****ing a philandering/married-with-kids Harrison Ford until her diaries unleashed this revelation upon her.:slap

So yes, we must surely take her word. Or hopefully it was written in a diary somewhere.

Back on topic, Leia and son.

a9922cb5e6202fa672b27e230ebe69b8.jpg

It's funny when you put it like that. Now I know when I watch all that wonderfully snarky, playful Han/Leia banter in ESB that it ends up conceiving a new Vader-clad villain. Kewl.:lol

No doubt.

Take the bikini away from the beaches and swimming pools and everyone loses their minds.

4E5.gif

I actually meant it more in the sense that because she's now passed, everyone's more sensitive about it; more than they were the past 30 years. Every time immediately following an unfortunate event, there's always knee jerk reactions.

I personally find no offense in it at all. She willingly wore it, whether she liked it or not. If others find it offensive, that's fine. They have the option of fast forwarding that scene in the film or not having a figure of it. My feelings are just don't try and ruin it for everyone else who isn't offended by it.

Personally, I'd have no interest in a slave Leia figure either. Not because I take umbrage to the outfit, but because it's a variant. I personally wouldn't have more than two Leias in my collection.

That's nothing to do with the outfit, that's down to the way in which the filming of the scene was organised, and I'm guessing particularly in the UK. I can imagine it wasn't much fun being dressed that way in January, in the UK, in front of a British film crew. But if she felt humiliated then that's to do with the way those scenes were organised, not the outfit.

You can't prioritise a narrative over a person, they're two completely separate things, and a third is a performance in a narrative.

There are any number of urgent issues in the world today surrounding the representation and oppression of women, and the great space bikini debate is somewhere near the bottom.

Nerd-lecturing? Well, thank God you're not a nerd and not lecturing anyone!

I want to see a debate about Jabba's rights - he was naked and chained to Carrie Fisher for much of ROTJ, then became the victim of an extra-judicial killing. Justice for Hutts now!

I actually meant it more in the sense that because she's now passed, everyone's more sensitive about it; more than they were the past 30 years. Every time immediately following an unfortunate event, there's always knee jerk reactions.

I personally find no offense in it at all. She willingly wore it, whether she liked it or not. If others find it offensive, that's fine. They have the option of fast forwarding that scene in the film or not having a figure of it. My feelings are just don't try and ruin it for everyone else who isn't offended by it.

Personally, I'd have no interest in a slave Leia figure either. Not because I take umbrage to the outfit, but because it's a variant. I personally wouldn't have more than two Leias in my collection.

Yeah, fair points all. It's ANH for me as far as all the characters go, and I'm not into multiple representations of any character from any license. For that reason I'm especially disappointed that the dress isn't great. But of all the ANH characters I think Leia's sculpt is by far the most accurate, so have to be happy about that.

Back