1/6 Hot Toys - MMS - Star Wars: Episode VII - Han & Chewbacca Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: 1/6 Hot Toys - MMS - Star Wars: Episode VII - Han & Chewbacca Collectible Figure

The final production head never turns out as good as JC Hong's photos. What he shows is a prototype sculpt that HE hand painted, the final production piece that people get in their hands is always different from it. See Finn, Bruce Wayne, Commando Arnold, etc.

I bet this turns out better than their ANH Han though. This is very similar to their Terminator Genisys Arnold, which is a good sculpt.

Last edited:
Re: 1/6 Hot Toys - MMS - Star Wars: Episode VII - Han & Chewbacca Collectible Figure

For some reason, chewbacca looks a lot like Bungle from Rainbow...

be727c47b829010d631355d5a9189b39.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Oh Zippy...look what Bungle did!

The final production head never turns out as good as JC Hong's photos. What he shows is a prototype sculpt that HE hand painted, the final production piece that people get in their hands is always different from it.

See Finn, Bruce Wayne, Commando Arnold, etc.

Those do seem to be some of the worst offenders. :lol

But then there's also Kenobi and Leia, which were pretty close. I guess this and Bruce Wayne are the two that come to mind for me where the official prototype photos seem to have a pretty different look to them than the JC Hong head on a stick shots. Even with Finn and Arnold, the Hong shots matched pretty closely to the prototype photo shoot shots...but when production photos came, that was obviously a different story.

looks great!

Yeah, could be the casting process squeezed the sculpt a bit (along with factoring in the lens distortion mention in the Hong ones).

Maybe I'll wait for in hand pics to order. By then a coupon will work or I'll have enough rewards.

I think it's almost certainly the lens distortion making the head a lot narrower and the features a bit more pronounced. I'd love for it to just be a casting thing but somehow I don't think that's the case.

1/6 Hot Toys - MMS - Star Wars: Episode VII - Han & Chewbacca Collectible Figure

It's also just not the same paint job between the two. If you focus on the eyes in the comparison you posted you'll see there's less white under the iris on both eyes (or at least the right one) in the Hong shots.

Also just noticing for the first time that long wrinkle on Han's right cheek (our right) that isn't on any of the Hong shots. Definitely a few things going on.

View attachment 272647

I don't mean to be disrespectful to people who like this figure, but are you sure you're not letting your affection for the character cloud your evaluation of the sculpt? The JC Hong one looks great, but in the version in the other photos there's something strange going on with the head - the face looks a little lost on the head and the hair is definitely, definitely too big and full. I don't think it's a bad likeness but there's something weird about the head which is distracting me from the likeness.

I'm sure this is just a personal quirk as everyone seems to like it, but I do sometimes wonder if the desire to own a particular character is so strong that people look through a figure's faults.

The price increase is not on Hot Toys, they are the same price as the ANH set in HK.

We need SS to chime in on this. License fees, rising labour costs blablabla. :slap

Love this set, if I didn't have the ANH set, I would snag this. Hope it comes out as well as it looks for those buying it.

I really hope they resculpt and repaint Han's hair, dont know what they were thinking with it being so big and poofy. Chewie is an easy pass for me, looks bizarre.

overall I like Han, but hes looking bulky and like i said, that hair is horrid

I think these look like the figures of the year. It's by far the best Han ever done and this Chewie looks better than the ANH version to me as well. It is slightly overpriced but I can't wait to get them.

I really hope they resculpt and repaint Han's hair, dont know what they were thinking with it being so big and poofy. Chewie is an easy pass for me, looks bizarre.

overall I like Han, but hes looking bulky and like i said, that hair is horrid

Ya the hair is john Travolta via 1970's. And I agree on Chewie as well.

I don't mean to be disrespectful to people who like this figure, but are you sure you're not letting your affection for the character cloud your evaluation of the sculpt? The JC Hong one looks great, but in the version in the other photos there's something strange going on with the head - the face looks a little lost on the head and the hair is definitely, definitely too big and full. I don't think it's a bad likeness but there's something weird about the head which is distracting me from the likeness.

I'm sure this is just a personal quirk as everyone seems to like it, but I do sometimes wonder if the desire to own a particular character is so strong that people look through a figure's faults.

To each there own...collectors can have many reasons other than affection for a particular character to enjoy a figure. I don't see a great likeness, but I respect those that do (and I'm sure you do too). Case in point, I actually really like the ANH Han sculpt. Again , personal preference. I

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sometimes it's the reverse too. Care so much that you pick over it more than casual fans.

Personally, I've come to the realization long ago that no figure is perfect. Not even the best ones are perfect. No sense worrying about the flaws when the overall figure is excellent.

The ANH Chewy had a serious facelift which was a huge improvement, in the way the facial hair was seated. Unfortunately, some people got the original version batch before the tweak happened. (That's the version shown in the promo pics) Lucky for me, I got the improved version, which I love.

This new Episode VII version looks horrible IMO, but it represents the Chewy in the film pretty well- which was also horrible IMO.

The new aged Han sculpt looks very good, but I just can't believe the price for the set.

PASS.

So... SSC raised the prices on these and not Hot Toys?

How much did the ANH set retail for? Why does this one seem like it's a lot more?

I really like the anh chewy face!!looks much much better. Also the anh duo set to me is more iconic. Although I am very very tempted to buy Han. What I plan to do is keep one Episode 4 iconic Han and chewy set - but I will buy a Han from each movie just to represent the various looks. However I don't need so many chewies ... That's for sure so best case scenario I am buying a Han. Also I do like episode 4 chewie more - unable to pin down exactly why though. This one actually while may be accurate to the movie does look a bit carpetish.

https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/.../137019-leon-911-partial-collection-40-a.html

I viewed your collection, then locked the door, contemplated buying a gun, then took a shower.

Awesome collection and display however.:lol

Back