1/6 Hot Toys - MMS - Star Wars: Episode VII - Han & Chewbacca Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: 1/6 Hot Toys - MMS - Star Wars: Episode VII - Han & Chewbacca Collectible Figure

Work in progress. Need to get the upper mouth glued back securely to close up the small gap there.

85db3e81556ddbb3c6d74b809865532d.jpg

Whoa, are those collectibles displayed in a main living area? How did you pull that off?

Also, your Chewy is looking good but I believe this is the Emperor thread ;)

Re: 1/6 Hot Toys - MMS - Star Wars: Episode VII - Han & Chewbacca Collectible Figure

How do you guys feel about starting a thread on the Star Wars Customs section for the modded TFA Chewie ideas and examples?

It's getting too hard to find the photos and descriptions in the main thread as more of us get these in hand and are ready to try these techniques, IMHO...

If we're game, I think one of the the members who can share their work should start us off.

I know I'd be appreciative!

looking good TonTon! heres mine in prigress too. so much better even with the unglued gaps lol

18263.jpg

Just received my Han. Wow Hot Toys. Bravo :clap This is one of the best sculpts/figures I've ever had (including high-end customs).

What a figure. The likeness is so good. HT nailed this one. One if not the best headsculpts ever!
ba177e17524d57c4f9f508c6ac5a017b.jpg
1c481e89b0bcaf82c494bc13a0a612bd.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

How do you guys feel about starting a thread on the Star Wars Customs section for the modded TFA Chewie ideas and examples?

It's getting too hard to find the photos and descriptions in the main thread as more of us get these in hand and are ready to try these techniques, IMHO...

If we're game, I think one of the the members who can share their work should start us off.

I know I'd be appreciative!

I'll second that. I haven't been following this thread on a regular basis and might have missed a few mods. A tutorial thread gathering all members customization work would be greatly appreciated.

Well I got my two pack in. I agree with the Solo sculpt being one of hot toys best. They nailed it! My only gripe with solo is the fat suit is a tad portly; I will switch it out with another that I had for an unfinished Dude custom. My Chewie looks pretty damn good with little or no futzing! My mouth piece was properly inserted, the muzzle looks good. Other than the head immediately falling off ( due to the chin fur getting in the way of the neck ball joint) solo I give a solid 9/10 and Chewie an 8/10. Happy to have these in the collection!

Well I got my two pack in. I agree with the Solo sculpt being one of hot toys best. They nailed it! My only gripe with solo is the fat suit is a tad portly; I will switch it out with another that I had for an unfinished Dude custom. My Chewie looks pretty damn good with little or no futzing! My mouth piece was properly inserted, the muzzle looks good. Other than the head immediately falling off ( due to the chin fur getting in the way of the neck ball joint) solo I give a solid 9/10 and Chewie an 8/10. Happy to have these in the collection!

Pics of Chewie please!!!

Whoa, are those collectibles displayed in a main living area? How did you pull that off?

The benefits of living in a one-bedroom apartment. Not many options. :lol

Also, your Chewy is looking good but I believe this is the Emperor thread ;)

I keep posting in the wrong thread today. :gah:

looking good TonTon! heres mine in prigress too. so much better even with the unglued gaps lol
Looking good, drjedisith! Makes such a difference. Get to watch him turn into Chewie in front of your eyes. I took a bit more off (even some of the plastic part above the upper mouth. Then glued the upper mouth to the fur there with super glue. Started messing with adding a little mustache too. Not perfect but far better than what came out of the package.

fullsizeoutput_26e9.jpg

EDIT: Swapped out photo for one where the bandolier isn't falling off.

Here's my Han. Tried him on every body ever. Came back to the original but I switched out his buff shoulders and biceps with regular narrow shoulder TrueType biceps and shoulders. I ditched that weird fat suit for an agent coulson fat suit to keep his old man ponch but get rid of the weird fat thighs and back.

Love where it landed. I also repainted the jacket completely with a mix of flat brown and gray, light washes to retain the leathery sheen. I weathered it with tamiya weathering kit. Added wires to the front flaps of his jacket to get it to sit the way it should. Unstitched the first part of his collar.

Might tinker with the boots but done.

Sorry about the iPhone pics in the kitchen... you have to pay me to get my alt out these days I'm a very lazy man.

IMG_4728.JPGIMG_4727.JPGIMG_4726.JPGIMG_4724.JPGIMG_4725.JPG

Shoulders look much better. The original ones are jacked.

The benefits of living in a one-bedroom apartment. Not many options. :lol

I keep posting in the wrong thread today. :gah:

Looking good, drjedisith! Makes such a difference. Get to watch him turn into Chewie in front of your eyes. I took a bit more off (even some of the plastic part above the upper mouth. Then glued the upper mouth to the fur there with super glue. Started messing with adding a little mustache too. Not perfect but far better than what came out of the package.

View attachment 338922

Looking great Ton Ton, do you mind my asking which method you used for the process?

Agreed ton ton , matrix and others... I thought chewie was unsalvageable but it's a huge improvement

Everyone who has salvaged their Chewbacca should be commended...I cannot shake my personal rule that if I spend $260 on a figure I shouldn't have to skin it and rebuild it just to tolerate it being in my collection...modify a good figure to make it great? Sure! This seems to be a bit of a different situation entirely though...

Can't say I disagree with that. It's an abysmal effort in hot toys part and one that is extra baffling considering they took a step backwards from their first chewbacca

Seems like Chewie can look good with some work. I think the first release was better and will probably pass on this version in hopes of getting an older version of the character from one of the other sequels but I don't think it's all that bad. I'm waiting for my BBTS order of Han to ship.

Decided to return my Han and Chewy combo pack and opt for just Han. Hopefully we get a revised version of Chewy with the upcoming films.

ANH chewie already seeing serious price drops on secondary market , along with TFA version...

If they actually make a version that doesn't look like ass...those will become worthless..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ANH chewie already seeing serious price drops on secondary market , along with TFA version...

If they actually make a version that doesn't look like ass...those will become worthless..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Who even cares for another Chewie, seriously! I don't know why you all want one! It's not like he ever looks any different!

Ok, I get Hot Toys messed up twice now, but there are other characters I'd much rather see them focus on now!

They can come back to Chewie years down the line, but for now they should invest time elsewhere.

1/6 Hot Toys - MMS - Star Wars: Episode VII - Han & Chewbacca Collectible Figure

Looking great Ton Ton, do you mind my asking which method you used for the process?

Thanks, Prince! I sort of just went for it, remembering what I'd read from matrix69 and mattman below. I just inserted the brush that Chewie comes with between the upper mouth and the fur and found that it separates really easily. Then just worked on reducing the amount of fur in the upper lip area, which is what is causing the problem (there's so much and the plastic sculpt is soft so it's just pushing the mouth down). The whole time I was doing it I was wondering if I was going to screw the whole thing up. They used dark brown threading to keep the fur in so as you cut to remove some sections those dark threads start appearing. Anyhow, it wasn't hard but I definitely had to be careful in terms of balancing all that.

Here's mattman's:
From my previous post:

" What I did was I heated up the mouth area with a hair dryer, then using a small knife tool I dug into the area where the upper lip meets the fur and peeled down the upper lip/mouth plate. Then using the knife I scraped down the fur, sorta tucking it in and flattening it out, cutting away a very small amount of fur to make sure the area was flattened out as much as possible. Finally, I reheated the mouth and pulled the upper mouth plate back up to line it up with the fur (also had to realign the bottom jaw piece). The rest is just futzing to try to make the hair look as accurate as I could."

Agreed ton ton , matrix and others... I thought chewie was unsalvageable but it's a huge improvement

:duff Thanks, Raymond! I figured the same until I saw what matrix and mattman did with theirs.

Everyone who has salvaged their Chewbacca should be commended...I cannot shake my personal rule that if I spend $260 on a figure I shouldn't have to skin it and rebuild it just to tolerate it being in my collection...modify a good figure to make it great? Sure! This seems to be a bit of a different situation entirely though...

Definitely don't have to skin it, but at the end of the day I would much rather have never had to do anything. I got Chewie for a good price under retail which is what allowed me to even consider messing with it.

Can't say I disagree with that. It's an abysmal effort in hot toys part and one that is extra baffling considering they took a step backwards from their first chewbacca

Yeah, I have to agree that it's crazy that this wasn't an improvement straight out of the box. The color of the fur on ANH is too dark and he has a goofy smile thing going on and sort of looks crosseyed, and then TFA is obviously too orange but that upper lip is the most offensive of all those to me, and I suspect many of us.

TFA Chewie eyes are definitely better than ANH Chewie, body is the same, though head doesn't sit as low. ANH did a better job of the more realistic matted fur on the body whereas this one looks a bit too brushed out, though with product that could be matched.

After working out the upper lip issue the face basically becomes the same as ANH, but a bit better because the eyes (though they're not blue) don't look crosseyed and depending how the mouth ends up that could look a bit better too. The color is lighter, so sort of better, but obviously the figure is too orange overall, even for the actual TFA Chewie. Under the detolf lights it looks like the Lorax color to me. I know my brain has gotten used to the ANH Chewie so that's part of it, but it feels like the case where ANH Chewie is better under the lights and this one is better away from the lights.

Does timcent ship in brown shipper?

Just got Chewie from him and it did not have a shipper. I don't think they include the shippers in Hong Kong. I think that's a Sideshow thing, and all the places that Sideshow supplies to (Europe, Australia, US).

Back