1/6 Hot Toys - MMS - Star Wars: Episode V ESB - Yoda Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I saw in the description that this Yoda is 130 mm tall. And Sideshow Yoda was 140 mm tall.

So I wondered if this difference would be noticeable.

I personally think Yoda was tiny, so I like the idea of a tad smaller Yoda. I did a little photoshop trying to keep the scales.

View attachment 265809

To me they seem pretty much around the same size. It may be that Hot Toys body has a more curved back, having a more noticeable hump maybe. With Sideshow Yoda, I found myself having to work out a better pose and futzing to achieve the more noticeable hump.

I also tried to put some other figures to compare the scale.

View attachment 265810

Nice comparison photo's. Some people were thinking Yoda would be a little too tall but if that's accurate it looks good. I still have a problem with the price though mainly... $200 is just crazy. The SS Yoda is not bad for what it is. Remember it's 6 years old now (it shipped in July of 2010), nothing around back then came close to what they offered and it was only $75!! And we shouldn't be talking about a one off body, cause it was a one off newly developed body for SS too! Between inflation and a couple of useless accessories this figure should not be almost 2 1/2x the cost. For me, since I own the exclusive SS version, it's just not worth the upgrade. I still think the SS Yoda looks fine, and I like the base and snakes better. The HT accessories do look cool but are only useful for those who create little dioramas. I don't. I open, pose, shelve and admire. That's it. Now if I didn't have a Yoda I'd be more tempted for this and even more bitter over that price!! :gah: But for those that don't have a Yoda and don't mind paying the price, it's a nice figure.

Rooted hair from Hot Toys has always looked like crap, not sure why people want it here. Glad they went with sculpted hair.

I find it strange that the people who love a figure always want to shut up people offering criticism; but the people who are critical of a figure never want to shut up the people who love it.

The shots of the painted head look pretty good, but nothing wrong with saying a lot of the photos suggest the face is too round, fat, jowelly etc.I'm sure I'll like what they eventually put out, but no reason why they can't improve on it.

I'm happy for everyone who thinks it's perfect as it is though.

As for the accessories and diorama base this is one of the few times I'm actually pleased to see these, they'll make a nice companion piece to the Sideshow Hut I've just bought off someone (for £450 shipped - is that a good price?)

The Sideshow Yoda hut would be an awesome companion piece with this figure. I wish I would have gotten one when they were still available but at the time the only Yoda I could find was the prequel version by Sideshow which I didn't care for as much.

I have no brand loyalty whatsoever (I constantly dump on SSC for their stupid-high prices and awful apps,) but let's be clear - we are firmly in the era of "Eh, I'll wait for HT." Where there's a sense that simply because it's HT, it rules (and SSC or any other company could never possibly even come close) - whether the HT fig in fact has a good likeness or is accurate - or not. So it's the reverse of what you're saying.

Surprisingly, HT's SW line has been a little underwhelming in terms of likeness. Lots of deep sculpt detail, ultra-real apps - yes. But likeness - not so much. This is Star Wars - there have been "sort of accurate" versions of these characters in 1/6 for nearly 20 years. We don't need another Ben that looks like a generic old man with a white beard. For $220.

Yes, Leia's sculpt/paint was knocked out of the park. Parts of Chewy and stormie were knocked out of the park (not the heads). The Vader helmet with a lot of mods can look excellent. But fair amount of the line is neither knocked out of the park nor "fall short" figs (by which I assume you mean a "miss.") Somewhere in the middle. Not "nailed." A surprising - for HT - number of mistakes, inaccuracies, and middling likeness.

This Yoda is middling to decent. Sculpt detail and apps are and will be gorgeous. Outfit looks average (compared to others) Likeness to ESB Yoda? Decent, I like it - though it's jowly,eyes are small and head a bit bulbous.

The fact we have another thread titled "which is the best Yoda?" after the HT full reveal says this is probably not the home run it should have been - coming from Hot Toys as it is, and costing $200.

And the "mentality that because it's mass produced its not as good whereas if it's a customized or smaller company it's better for whatever reason"? You are seriously saying that people say "blah" to a HT figure and go with a custom or small company's figure even if it's inferior to the HT fig?
:clap Echo my earlier sentiments

giphy.gif

If you go back and watch the scenes with Yoda from ESB, you will notice he puffs his face out fairly often, generally when worried or disappointed. At times it looks even fatter than any of the HT prototype pictures.

So while many may prefer his more natural expression, you really can't say the HT sculpts are inaccurate until you have considered all of the source material.

After reviewing the scenes, I actually think HT has chosen a pretty good balance between Yodas two main looks.

Also the closed eyed sculpt looks to be very good with a less full face.

I will be happy to order this with a coupon or directly from HK as long as the production piece comes close to the hand painted pics.

I do wish they would give him some real hair though.

Last edited:
A good friend of mine who no longer posts here may have said "Just pour some super glue on his head and roll it around some geriatric pubes for desired effect"..

But also, he is not here anymore to offer this kind of plain advice. :monkey2

The Sideshow Yoda hut would be an awesome companion piece with this figure. I wish I would have gotten one when they were still available but at the time the only Yoda I could find was the prequel version by Sideshow which I didn't care for as much.

As soon as the yoda preorders start adding up ssc will probably realize there is money on the table and the hut will reappear on the preorder page.

ok, just wanted to let you guys know, that I just measured my Yoda and he is roughly 130 mm (no pun intended :rotfl )

So I wanted to update the pics. They will be almost same size, HT and SSC Yoda... I like that size.

sizes yodas copy.jpg

Untitled-3 sizes.jpg

Back