1/6 Hot Toys - MMS - Star Wars: Episode V ESB - Yoda Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
nice interesting debate here, guys!

I jumped on this one, even if for a time I thought I should not...

I am going to try and get the best Yoda I can using parts of my previous Yoda, and this Hot Toys one.

If the result does not please me, I will sell the Hot Toys Yoda.

I can accept to pay a 20% or 30% "tax", or loss from the value of the figure, for having this fun :rotfl

Honestly I don't think these figures are an issue, they're just action figures and will never be 100% accurate to the actual actors and actual movie props right out of the box.

I think it's more the expectations have just gotten so high from collectors, to the point where it's a bit unrealistic at times for a mass produced product. (not knocking anyone here, I think it's just a natural thing when we've been spoiled with a few gems and a lot of really great customs)

I like that folks put the work into making their figures more accurate and all that, power to you guys! That's really the only way these figures will get to that next level of realism.

edit: I have Yoda on order btw. He looks great to me and is one of the most iconic Star Wars characters ever IMO. Im throwing him up on the shelf with my ANH figures because he belongs with Obi-Wan on the shelf in my eyes.

Got my charge notice for 5/8. Not sure why shipping has to be 18.89 from CA to AZ. Looking forward to the figure though.

Judge me by my size do you? Can't do it with the real Yoda, or with smaller 1/6 figures. Like you said Coco, this is an all new body which means it likely has more cost involved than the standard HT figure as well as coming with a lot of extras. $200 is a lot for any figure; but with HT you know the quality (almost always) will be worth it.

I have the original Yoda and while it's a pretty great figure for $75; this one completely blows it out of the water. I hoped I could be strong and not buy, but after seeing Yoda at Celebration in Orlando I could no longer delude myself in "settling".

Now, on the plus side... if you are looking for a good, cheaper alternative I imagine the price of the Sideshow Yoda will be plummeting.

I got my 2 week notice today as well :rock

I'm hoping to pop the second sculpt on my SS Yoda body.... And I do judge you by your size.... Pathetic, by the way.

Shouldn't it be though? Jedi Mentor Yoda was $60-$70 when released and Jedi Master Yoda was $90-$100. I'm not even sure making a comparison to the SS version fair. This one is $200. Double the price of Sideshow's last effort which came with just as many accessories.

It sucks because I think a lot of collectors feel trapped. If you have been collecting most of the Hot Toys OT line or have a DX07 Luke, Yoda is a bit of a necessity. He is from arguably one of the best Star Wars movies in some of the franchises most iconic scenes. On top of that, another 1/6 ESB/ROTJ Yoda is not likely to happen again for years, if ever. So what do you do? Settle for a ho hum figure? Wait for an inevitable $150 + custom sculpt for a figure you already paid $200 for? Have a glaring omission from your collection?

I dunno, there are people on here that have spent well upwards of $500 on a custom Vader, or far more on a custom Indy figure, and rarely (unless it's a low-run full custom fig where the price is published) does the total price the customizer put into the figure ever come up. People are just like "wow, that blows _____ out of the water!" They just go by what they see onscreen. "Fair" comparisons don't seem to play into it.

And TBH, I really didn't like the SSC Mentor Yoda when I got it back then. It was a fine enough placeholder. The green was all kinds of wrong and the sculpt had a huge chin and the paint on the eyes was anything but realistic, even for five years ago. The figure isn't from 2007 and should have been better than it was. I liked the snakes and accessories and it was decent, but a letdown regardless of price.

And it's true - SSC would charge close to $200 for that same Yoda today. It's the sad truth... Sideshow's prices have doubled or tripled, but their quality hasn't come close to that kind of factor of two or three increase.

Bottom line - this new HT figure doesn't nail ESB Yoda's look to me either, but at least it's impeccably detailed and finished - it feels very high-end. It should have been $180, but hey - Leia as a head and simple white dress was over $200. It's sad, I'm bitter about it, but it's the new reality across all 1/6 companies, not just HT.

They should have left the hair sculpted. Watch that stuff start falling off in a couple of years

Well, good news because that sculpted hair is still there on the sculpt, it's just painted green. Once the hair falls off, get a paint brush and bam, sculpted hair.

Well, good news because that sculpted hair is still there on the sculpt, it's just painted green. Once the hair falls off, get a paint brush and bam, sculpted hair.

That's pretty funny. If I had one, I might just rip it off and have a go

It'll probably be more like a few months. We all know what type of glue Hot Toys uses to get the best high...

Profit margin.

Their stupid glue is what apparently ruined my han's shirt by turning it orange. Wonder if yoda's head will start turning orange, too

Just pre-ordered from Sideshow. For the longest time I couldn't justify the price, but **** it. It's Yoda!

:rock

IMG_0518.JPG

TaliBane;9235323And it's true - SSC would charge close to $200 for that same Yoda today. It's the sad truth... Sideshow's prices have doubled or tripled said:
Not to get into this old argument but you can't really say what it would look like for a figure to be twice as good or not. Is a $60 wine three times better than a $20 wine? Anyhow, I think Sideshow would clearly have a better Yoda today than they did back then, based on their improvements with figures like the AT-AT/TIE vs their old Stormtrooper or their new Maul vs the 2006 one. Is the new Maul 4 times as good? No idea, but it is better.

Not to get into this old argument but you can't really say what it would look like for a figure to be twice as good or not. Is a $60 wine three times better than a $20 wine? Anyhow, I think Sideshow would clearly have a better Yoda today than they did back then, based on their improvements with figures like the AT-AT/TIE vs their old Stormtrooper or their new Maul vs the 2006 one. Is the new Maul 4 times as good? No idea, but it is better.

Well, SSC had two tries at Yoda (with three different sculpts) and both were extraordinarily lackluster to me at the time. And SSC then and now is solely about heads (and to some degree bodies, though some would argue not) as everything else is indeed the same. In terms of heads I think the more pertinent question is: is the SSC Han Hoth (2015) head better than say German Indy (2009/10)? Or is Luke X head (2015/16) better than something like GI Joe Hawk (2011)? The answer, truthfully, is yes... and kind of. :lol

And while one day I hope to ponder your wines question, the question for me right now is: is a $15 wine three times better than a $5 wine? Or should I spend months foregoing $10 wines in order to buy one $50 wine?:slap:rotfl

Well, SSC had two tries at Yoda (with three different sculpts) and both were extraordinarily lackluster to me at the time. And SSC then and now is solely about heads (and to some degree bodies, though some would argue not) as everything else is indeed the same. In terms of heads I think the more pertinent question is: is the SSC Han Hoth (2015) head better than say German Indy (2009/10)? Or is Luke X head (2015/16) better than something like GI Joe Hawk (2011)? The answer, truthfully, is yes... and kind of. :lol

And while one day I hope to ponder your wines question, the question for me right now is: is a $15 wine three times better than a $5 wine? Or should I spend months foregoing $10 wines in order to buy one $50 wine?:slap:rotfl

Details on accessories seem a bit nicer/sharper to me, tailoring a bit more realistic, bodies better designed (though still often floppy). The heads they don't have a great track record obviously--seems only lately have they had a couple non-misses, maul, indy, I think I heard ASH was good.

As far as wine's go I know the expensive ones exist but I don't think any above $10.99 have seen the inside of my apartment.

Does anyone know if the second head will likely be able to fit on the Hasbro Yoda? The socket and head looks like this on the Hasbro

18379014_10155397961624040_879569789_o.jpg18339024_10155397958409040_973697696_o.jpg

The HT heads fit onto a ball joint that's about 3/16" diameter. The Hasbro one is a totally different system.

And Mrs. Vader needs to zip it.:lol

Back